E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320si intermittent starting problem

07-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #441
320si peach
Rep
Drives: bmw 320si

hi jimi have a word with detox ,all maynot not be lost.he has rebuilt my engine with steel liners,and i bet it will be cheaper than a new engine from bmw . if you can get one? he knows his stuff !
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #442
320si peach
Rep
Drives: bmw 320si

quarry motors have engine on ebay £3495 45000miles .i would have it rebuilt jimi
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #443
Jimi26
Rep
Drives: 320si

Well I was just in the process of typing a reply here when I got a call from the dealer and finally some good news! BMW are now offering me 80% towards parts and the dealer has reduced their labour rate so the total cost for a new engine including all the work done so far is £3700! they are also going to sort me out with a lender car from next week. I'm going past later today anyway so going to drop in and give that the go ahead. It's a stunning example anyway which looks like it only just rolled out the factory so it really deserves a new engine in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #444
Jimi26
Rep

Went to go and pick up the car the dealership are lending me earlier (brand new 320D sport) and was told my new engine will be here next week! The engine is brand new not a refurb so I'm not really sure why BMW would have stock of an engine which was a limited run in 2006? are they anticipating a requirement for replacements?

Driving the 320D home though just made me realise how sick the 320SI must have been.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #445
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: GT86 DGM

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi26 View Post
Went to go and pick up the car the dealership are lending me earlier (brand new 320D sport) and was told my new engine will be here next week! The engine is brand new not a refurb so I'm not really sure why BMW would have stock of an engine which was a limited run in 2006? are they anticipating a requirement for replacements?

Driving the 320D home though just made me realise how sick the 320SI must have been.
Hi Jim, is that an F30 they've given you as a loaner?
      07-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #446
Jimi26
Rep

It is indeed an F30, had less than 500 miles on the clock when I picked it up. The torque it produces low in the rev range and fuel economy I've been getting are quite something (around 65 mpg on the daily commute) - couldn't be any more different from the SI.

New engine is now with the dealer and they expect it to be ready in a few days, I'm away for latter part of the week so hoping to pick it up at the weekend fingers crossed.

Not 100% sure whether I'll keep it though, I did a U turn on the X5 and ordered a Sportage having loved the one a friend had borrowed from her work, I'm picking that up 1st of September so will have the SI until then, I'll then decide whether to keep it or not. If anyone is interested in an immaculate SI with a new engine, feel free to drop me a PM
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #447
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
My SI is being looked at by another Indy at the end of the week for steering issues for the 5th time

Would love an SI with a new engine lol!
      07-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #448
Jimi26
Rep

Ouch, are you being charged each time? and what is the problem with the steering?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #449
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

So Jimi to my understanding your engined failed because of the tensioner?

This is a VERY good thread because it has all the problems the si's have had and it's good to rub into BMW's face in case they try to charge someone for the whole amount!

So many problems, I hope someone in Munich cares! It is unacceptable for an engine to brake for any reason at half of its life.
      07-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #450
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi26 View Post
Ouch, are you being charged each time? and what is the problem with the steering?
Hahah yeah proly spent around £1800 trying to get to the bottom of the steering issue, couple of trips to sytner, two indies. Sytner advised getting two new front alloys (£660) didn't even need it as buckles were slight.

Basically i have other threads about my steering issue but long story short, the steering has play, knock in steering, alignment keeps going totally out so car is crabbing all over the place. This has been going on since march 11 so feel like crying tbh when its proly a really easy fix!
      07-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #451
Jimi26
Rep

That's appalling I couldn't believe it when I was told I needed a new engine 8k miles after buying the car from the same BMW dealer, but that must be sickening spending that sort of money without a resolution, hope you get it sorted soon.

Hi Nikos, indeed that is correct. Service manager took me in to the workshop and one of the mechanics showed me the contents of the sump - which included a broken tensioner and chain guide. I'm not entirely sure what the extent of the damage to the engine is, they seemed fairly confident a replacement engine was the best option, and since I had been told to expect a bill of around £2k to replace the chain and guides I decided to just go with the new engine option. The dealer said they/BMW (I can't remember which) want to dismantle the engine once it's out of my car to learn what had happened, I was going to ask them to let me know what they find so I'll post the results here if I ever do find out.

Slightly off topic, but I found these pics last night which I took after detailing the car last year, reminds my why I bought it in the first place and helps justify shelling out for a new engine

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #452
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Thnx Jim but i think after reading your story i feel quite lucky, touch wood anyway regarding my engine. Although i have had the sluggish start issue on occasion during the 17 months i've had it.

Nice pictures and IMO one of the best looking 3 series and very rare. I'm a bit like you in that i could of given up on it ages ago but i will get it fixed as i remember when it was briefly working I got a glimpse of a fantasitc handling and exhilarating machine! You can't compare this to a 320d like so many people on this forum do saying its quicker etc. This isn't what this car is about, only a true petrol head would know why you would choose this car..
      07-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #453
caliban413
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonSI View Post
Hahah yeah proly spent around £1800 trying to get to the bottom of the steering issue, couple of trips to sytner, two indies. Sytner advised getting two new front alloys (£660) didn't even need it as buckles were slight.

Basically i have other threads about my steering issue but long story short, the steering has play, knock in steering, alignment keeps going totally out so car is crabbing all over the place. This has been going on since march 11 so feel like crying tbh when its proly a really easy fix!
Just replaced my tie rods because of steering play. Fixed the problem 100%

I'ts a pretty easy fix and all you need are these parts:
04 LEFT TIE ROD TRW 1 32216762243 $126.63
04 RIGHT TIE ROD TRW 1 32216762244 $126.63

...and a 38mm open end wrench

I lived with poor and unstable handling for quite some time and the first mechanic that looked at it couldn't find anything wrong. The next one however quickly diagnosed the problem.

You basically jack up the front of the car and grab one of the front wheels. Twist it from side to side while you listen and feel for a slight knock. If you feel a knock try grabbing the control arms one at a time and give them a good tug just to make sure that the knocking sound is coming from the steering rack. The ball link that develops play is hidden inside the rubber bellows so play in the tie rod won't be visible until it's removed.

Last edited by caliban413; 07-25-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #454
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliban413 View Post
Just replaced my tie rods because of steering play. Fixed the problem 100%

I'ts a pretty easy fix and all you need are these parts:
04 LEFT TIE ROD TRW 1 32216762243 $126.63
04 RIGHT TIE ROD TRW 1 32216762244 $126.63

...and a 38mm open end wrench

I lived with poor and unstable handling for quite some time and the first mechanic that looked at it couldn't find anything wrong. The next one however quickly diagnosed the problem.

You basically jack up the front of the car and grab one of the front wheels. Twist it from side to side while you listen and feel for a slight knock. If you feel a knock try grabbing the control arms one at a time and give them a good tug just to make sure that the knocking sound is coming from the steering rack. The ball link that develops play is hidden inside the rubber bellows so play in the tie rod won't be visible until it's removed.
Thank you so much for the advice!! it really has spolit my first time bmw ownership I can feel a knock and slight resistance when turning the wheel at parking speeds. Also noticed that i can move the lower steering shaft side to side really easily. Is it like that on yours?

Taking it to a new mechanic on saturday who wants me to show him the symptoms, wish me luck lol!!
      07-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #455
caliban413
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for the advice!! it really has spolit my first time bmw ownership I can feel a knock and slight resistance when turning the wheel at parking speeds. Also noticed that i can move the lower steering shaft side to side really easily. Is it like that on yours?

Taking it to a new mechanic on saturday who wants me to show him the symptoms, wish me luck lol!!
Mine had play in the ball link. circled in red.

Please note that when you order the tie rod's the ball joints are included. (item no. 4&5). Also it's a good idea to order the pipe clamps (item 2&3) as well since you will probably destroy them when they are removed.

btw here is the realoem.com link http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...10&hg=32&fg=25
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #456
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Thanks my freind! that was really helpful. I have printed this off to show my mechanic on Sat. Please take a look at the below picture, i can move this side to side really easily, can you do the same on yours?
Attached Images

07-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #457
caliban413
Rep

Quote:
Thanks my freind! that was really helpful. I have printed this off to show my mechanic on Sat. Please take a look at the below picture, i can move this side to side really easily, can you do the same on yours?
I just checked. Mine moves ever so slightly both up and down and side to side. It makes a small clonking sound when i move it. I don't know how much you are able to move yours but mine only moves about 1-2 mm. If that's the kind of movement you get then i doubt the lower joint is at fault. I have no steering play anymore and the steering has a very solid feel and the front end is completely stable - just as you would expect from a bmw.

Last edited by caliban413; 07-27-2012 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #458
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliban413 View Post
I just checked. Mine moves ever so slightly both up and down and side to side. It makes a small clonking sound when i move it. I don't know how much you are able to move yours but mine only moves about 1-2 mm. If that's the kind of movement you get then i doubt the lower joint is at fault. I have no steering play anymore and the steering has a very solid feel and the front end is completely stable - just as you would expect from a bmw.
Ah ok IIRC mine moves about the same as yours so looks like mine is normal, phew!! My front end is all over the place, so unstable on the motorway that it feels almost that the car could spin on itself! Again thanks for all your advice!!
      08-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #459
Jimi26
Rep

Finally picked it up last night, all seems to be running well and it returned a much better mpg figure this morning than what I used to get on the work commute. The final bill was also 10% cheaper than I was originally quoted.

Does anyone have any idea what effect a new £8000 engine with a 2 year BMW warranty will have on the value of the car? I'm guessing not very much, depending on the buyer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #460
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 320si

Well after 11 months of ownership I'm getting rid of my Si it's been in the garage about 6 times in the last two months with electrical issues. The throttle body was replaced but didn't cure it so it's now in the local dealers waiting on a wiring loom I'm sure the car will be fine after that's done but with the mortgage due for renewal I'm going to cash out.

It's been a brilliant car when it's worked, that engine is a peach when it's worked hard but I've just fallen out of love with it. Most of you will think I'm mental but to maximise my cash flow I've bought a mk1 mx5 as a run around!

Thanks for the advice and info guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #461
Hennessy
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i M Sport

Hi all, just signed up after reading this thread. I'm going to look at a 320si next week and after reading everyone's problems maybe I shouldn't even bother.

If I do view this car, is there anything important I should look for or certain noises. I don't want a huge repair bill after i've purchased this car, lol. At least I think I live close to detox to get an engine rebuild! I was told this car is as reliable as a normal 320i, is this true?

Please help! Thanks
Hennessy
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #462
hossen
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320SI

sir

i really need help !!
my car
bmw e90 320 si YEAR 2006
chassis number Ag30122

MY PROBLEM IS.
IN THE MORNING WHEN I START THE ENGINE IS GOING OFF! AND SECOND TIME I START THE ENGINE ITS GOING OFF AGAIN! I NEED TO THIRD START WITH IDDLE AROUND 3RPM DURING 5 SECOND AND THE ENGINE GOIND O.K BUT WITH LITTLE VIBRATION WITH THE CAR.
AFTER THE ENGINE TEMPERATURE GOING LITTLE HIGHER THE ENGINE BECOME STABLE NORMAL
WHEN I AM DRIVING IF YOU PUSH THE IDDLE O.5RPM TO DRIVE THE ENGINE OFF LIKE MISSED FUEL OR MISSED FIRE SOMTHING . I NEED TO IDDLE AROUND 1.5 RPM . ( FOR ENGINE GOING NORMAL.
IF IAM DRIVING ON MOTORWAY AROUND 80 OR OVER 100KM/H DON’T HAVE THESE PROBLEM OF MISSING FIRE OR FUEL. ONLY WHEN I STOP AND GO ON A STOP ROAD!

I WENT TO BMW AGENCY THEY TOLD ME THE SOFTWARE FOR THE DME ARE UPDATE 2010 SOFTWARE NO NEW SOFTWARE FOR THIS CAR THAT GERMANY CREATED!

PLEASE HELP ME
sportydriveshop@hotmail.co.uk
call 2302570890
Appreciate 0