E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid

Closed Thread

09-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid

Since there is no thread on one of the best brake fluid available to us, I'll start one...

Race Proven - Ultimate Racing Brake Fluid!
CASTROL SRF Racing Brake Fluid is an ultra high performance product formulated specifically to satisfy the ever increasing stresses placed upon the braking systems used in international motorsport. The exceptional performance of Castrol SRF is due to a novel silicon ester technology pioneered by Castrol and unique to the extent that it has been granted patent-protection in numerous countries throughout the world.

Castrol SRF Properties

Exceptionally high dry boiling point of 590ºF (Wet 518ºF)
Superior anti-vapor lock properties
Safe for all non-mineral oil-based disc and drum brake systems
Exclusive European formula!
Exceeds SAE 1703, ISO 4925, JIS K2233, FMVSS No. 116 DOT3 and DOT 4

Castrol SRF Brake Fluid Technical Information

Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid is an ultra high performance product formulated specifically to satisfy the ever increasing stresses placed upon the braking systems used in international motorsport. The exceptional performance of Castrol SRF is due to a novel silicon ester technology pioneered by Castrol and unique to the extent that it has been granted patent-protection in numerous countries throughout the world.

Castrol SRF evolved as a direct result of Castrol's ongoing Research and Development program for brake fluids which identified this silicon ester technology as providing considerable performance benefits when compared with conventional glycol ether borate ester fluids.

Following exhaustive laboratory tests at Castrol's International Technology Centre in the UK, the final formulation for Castrol SRF was subjected to an extensive road-test programme on the Gross Glockner and Stelvio passes high in the Austrian and Italian Alps. It then underwent an independent track test program conducted by a famous Formula One racing team. Their assessment was that "Castrol SRF is the best racing brake fluid we have ever used."

Subsequently, Castrol SRF was offered to top flight racing and rally teams throughout the world including most of the Formula One teams, the all-conquering Jaguar and Mercedes -Benz sports car teams and the Audi, Nissan and Toyota rally teams. Enthusiastic recommendation by these experts soon created an immense interest in Castrol SRF throughout the whole spectrum of national and international motorsport. Today, Castrol SRF is regarded by the international motorsport community as being without equal and it is chosen not only by factory-supported teams but by private competitors throughout the world.

All conventional brake fluids used in cars and motor cycles are hygroscopic, that is, they absorb water from their surroundings. Strange though it may seem, the flexible hoses incorporated in braking systems are permeable to water and in time enough, water can find its way into the system via the hoses, and seriously affect the brake fluid's performance. This water reduces the boiling point of the fluid (ie, it lowers the temperature at which gas bubbles begin to form). When these bubbles form, they turn a virtually incompressible liquid into a mixture of gas and liquid which can be compressed quite considerably, thus severely reducing the efficiency of the brakes. In this situation, a driver finds that the brakes feel spongy. Brake-pedal travel will increase and it may be necessary to 'pump' the pedal to get the brakes to function effectively. However, when the brake fluid reaches a temperature at which the water in the fluid causes gas to be produced, which is equal to the volume swept by the piston in the rake master-cylinder, vapor-lock occurs and the brakes become inoperative. When this happens, the first indication the driver has that something is wrong is when he applies the brakes. The pedal goes down to the floor and the car carries on at undiminished - and possibly fatal speed.

The silicon ester technology in Castrol SRF addresses this problem in two ways. Firstly, Castrol SRF is less hygroscopic than conventional brake fluids - it absorbs less water in a given time. Secondly, unlike conventional glycol ether fluids, Castrol SRF reacts chemically with the absorbed water to reduce its adverse effects, thus preventing the fluid's high temperature performance and safety margins from deteriorating as rapidly as they would otherwise do.

Castrol SRF exceeds the US Federal Standards FMVSS 116 DOT 3 and DOT 4, ISO 4925, JIS K2233 and current SAE J1703 and is miscible with all conventional brake fluids conforming to these standards. However, mixing Castrol SRF and conventional brake fluids will reduce the benefits of Castrol SRF. It is strongly recommended that conventional brake fluid be drained from the system before flushing and refilling with Castrol SRF.

The wet boiling point of Castrol SRF, 270 C, is vastly superior to the minimum requirement of 155 C demanded by the current US DOT 4 specification. The product's typical dry boiling point of 310 C is likewise outstanding. This ability to withstand temperatures in excess of 300 C, and its superior resistance to the effects of absorbed water, have established Castrol SRF as the world's premier fluid for the hydraulic brakes used in all forms of motorsport.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Thats a very high wet boiling point..i use ATE super blue and the dry/wet is 536F/388F..will have to look into using this stuff for my next flush
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Thats a very high wet boiling point..i use ATE super blue and the dry/wet is 536F/388F..will have to look into using this stuff for my next flush
You can get it here:

http://www.hpashop.com/category.sc?categoryId=188
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Have you read the BMW TIS regarding brake fluids? It states no synthetic fluid can be used, only mineral... If you have some other info, please share.

Castrol SRF is undoubtedly a great fluid, but I wouldn't want to mess something up..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Have you read the BMW TIS regarding brake fluids? It states no synthetic fluid can be used, only mineral... If you have some other info, please share.

Castrol SRF is undoubtedly a great fluid, but I wouldn't want to mess something up..
Read the above and you will have your answer. You can mix SRF with conventional fluid, but the you will lose some of the benefits of the SRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
The Best brake fluid? A lot of people who track and professionally race their cars would argue that Motul RBF 600 is the best.

Once again, please read my post. I said "one of the best..." Although RBF is great, you will need to flush it out often to keep it its optimum performance levels. Its wet boiling point is no where near the SRF. In the long run, SRF will save most people money and time. If you still use rubber brake hoses, SRF is your friend.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 09-25-2011 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Once again, please read my post. I said "one of the best..."
You're right, my apologies.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Mr_PharmD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

if I change out my brakes with BBK how many bottles will I need?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I use RS683 fluid, I haven't seen anything with a higher boiling point available where I get my supplies.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_PharmD View Post
if I change out my brakes with BBK how many bottles will I need?
Just one.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
The Best brake fluid? A lot of people who track and professionally race their cars would argue that Motul RBF 600 is the best.
+1 We like the Motul products as well!

FYI here is a link from another thread that gives wet and dry boiling points for a number of brake fluids:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=573222&page=3
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david @ eas View Post
+1 We like the Motul products as well!

FYI here is a link from another thread that gives wet and dry boiling points for a number of brake fluids:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=573222&page=3
Motul is great if you like to buy a bottle or two, spend the time and money(if work is done at a shop) to flush it out before each track event. The reason you do this is because the Motul, like most conventional brake fluid will start absorbing moisture right away as soon as you open the bottle and its wet boiling temperature is not very high.

For those don't have the deep pockets, the SRF is the way to go, as you just need to bleed it before each event to ensure no air is present.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Bump this information thread!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Motul fluid is good, SRF is better. Also a lot more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #14
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Quote:
Really?

I've used Motul RBF600, 660, ATE Superblue, AP600 and Castrol SRF in my 750bhp Evo6 race car, and the SRF blows all the others into the weeds in regards to ultimate performance. It's the wet boiling point which makes the big difference, as a fluid will start absorbing moisture as soon as the bottle is opened.

In a full weight 500hp Evo 9 which I used to test/develop my custom Porsche brake kit, the SRF was the only fluid not to cause a soft pedal when the brakes were pushed to the limit in regards to disc temps, no cool down lap, maximum heat soak etc.

Mclaren use SRF in their F1 cars for a reason!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Agreed. I deleted my post above.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread