E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Side View Mirrors - Don't Adjust "Out" Enough

01-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #45
mhenry7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post
Does the car have Folding Mirrors (CA Option), I had test drove an 2007 e92 328i and noticed when the mirrors folded out that the mirror (Drivers Side especially) that they did not seem to set fold all the way out, causing the same issue as you described. I could not adjust the mirrors all the way out to suit my taste and pushed slightly out on the mirror housing and that seemed to correct the problem.
I have this option on my car and the mirror wouldn't adjust enough in. Dealer said that the mirror was folding too far out and causing it to bind during adjustment. They reprogrammed it and the problem was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #46
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

HERE IS THE SIB

IT WORKED FOR ME

SUBJECT
Power Fold Mirror Position Incorrect

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E63, E64 (6 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E82, E88 (1 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E85, E86, E89 (Z4) equipped with power fold mirrors

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

F01, F02 (7 Series)

SITUATION
One or both mirrors appear to have folded out further than the standard position. The incorrect position of the mirror housing is typically not visually noticeable and as such, the customer typically states that the mirror glass is not in the stored position.

Folding the mirror in and out does not restore the correct mirror housing position.

CAUSE
The mirror has shifted outward from its standard home position. The new position is now stored as the home position.

CORRECTION
Do not replace any parts.

Reset the mirror home position using the following procedure.

PROCEDURE

1. Fold the mirror in using the power fold button on the door switch block.

2. Grasp the folding part of the mirror and fold it outward manually. The mirror housing will disengage from the mirror base and will now be in the breakaway position.

3. Operate the mirror via the power fold button. The mirror will now fold out past the expected end stop.

4. Operate the mirror via the power fold button again to fold the mirror in. When the mirror is fully folded in, the motor will continue to run until a clicking and/or popping sound is heard. This sound is the mirror housing resetting its position.

5. Fold the mirror back out, using the power fold button to ensure it has folded out to the correct position.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #47
mhenry7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRJ View Post
HERE IS THE SIB

IT WORKED FOR ME

SUBJECT

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E63, E64 (6 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E82, E88 (1 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

E85, E86, E89 (Z4) equipped with power fold mirrors

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) equipped with power fold mirrors

F01, F02 (7 Series)

SITUATION
One or both mirrors appear to have folded out further than the standard position. The incorrect position of the mirror housing is typically not visually noticeable and as such, the customer typically states that the mirror glass is not in the stored position.

Folding the mirror in and out does not restore the correct mirror housing position.

CAUSE
The mirror has shifted outward from its standard home position. The new position is now stored as the home position.

CORRECTION
Do not replace any parts.

Reset the mirror home position using the following procedure.

PROCEDURE

1. Fold the mirror in using the power fold button on the door switch block.

2. Grasp the folding part of the mirror and fold it outward manually. The mirror housing will disengage from the mirror base and will now be in the breakaway position.

3. Operate the mirror via the power fold button. The mirror will now fold out past the expected end stop.

4. Operate the mirror via the power fold button again to fold the mirror in. When the mirror is fully folded in, the motor will continue to run until a clicking and/or popping sound is heard. This sound is the mirror housing resetting its position.

5. Fold the mirror back out, using the power fold button to ensure it has folded out to the correct position.
Awe, you ruined it for me. Here I thought my mirror was hooked into the computer and I was really impressed. Now I wonder why it took my dealer a day and a half to do the above
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #48
cbcb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRJ View Post
HERE IS THE SIB

IT WORKED FOR ME

SUBJECT
DTRJ, thanks for digging up the bulletin - really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, my car doesn't have the power folding mirrors so it doesn't help my problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #49
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Seeing the side of your car in your side view mirrors is old fashioned. The modern thought on rear view mirror placement is you should set them so you start seeing the car in the next lane as it leaves the view or your rear view mirror. This eliminates the blind spots.

To set the left mirror, rest your head against the driver's window and adjust the mirror until you cannot see the side of the car (this is where the OP has his issue, me too). To adjust the right hand mirror, lean your head over the console and adjust the mirror until you can't see the side of the car.

This setup takes some getting used to but it's the safest way to set your side mirrors.
Thats exactly what I was told a couple of years ago and it is great. Why do you need to see the side of your car..you know its there! I would say 90% of drivers have their left mirror set incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #50
31 Hz
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N54 ZSP 6mt

Old thread, but yeah. I'm having trouble with my mirrors. Get in my car and the mirror is set differently! And no, I don't have power folding mirrors either.

Plus, my mirrors barely adjust far enough "out" for me. Kind of surprising.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #51
31 Hz
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N54 ZSP 6mt

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #52
kavehm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2006 E90 330xi  [0.00]
Great info, just one question regarding the reset procedure, it mentioned a "breakaway position" in step 2? What is that? in Step 2, does that mean to fold the mirror out (so that it doesn't "sit" in the groove) so that it's halfway between folded in and in the standard driving position? What is this Break Away position in step 2?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #53
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Seeing the side of your car in your side view mirrors is old fashioned. The modern thought on rear view mirror placement is you should set them so you start seeing the car in the next lane as it leaves the view or your rear view mirror. This eliminates the blind spots.

To set the left mirror, rest your head against the driver's window and adjust the mirror until you cannot see the side of the car (this is where the OP has his issue, me too). To adjust the right hand mirror, lean your head over the console and adjust the mirror until you can't see the side of the car.

This setup takes some getting used to but it's the safest way to set your side mirrors.
Good call Michael. I'm with you but most arent . It takes a while to get used to but way more effective. If you can see your own car then you cant see the guy in the next lane. ooops. Just saw that C&D article. Explains it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #54
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
If you're seat is half way past the b-pillar you're sitting too far back. You should have a little overlap between the review mirror and your side mirrors.

" Some quick tips: For the driver's side mirror: Place the side of your head against the window, then adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view. For the passenger's side mirror: While sitting in the driver's seat, lean to the right so that your head is in the car's centerline. Adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view."

OR:

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rearview-...te-Blind-Spots
Heard this on old click and clack episode (Car Talk). Been using for years, works great. Family thinks I am nuts but I change without any fear and never strain my neck!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #55
kavehm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2006 E90 330xi  [0.00]
It worked like a charm! Great info! Sa said i needed a new housing unit, guess he was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavehm View Post
Great info, just one question regarding the reset procedure, it mentioned a "breakaway position" in step 2? What is that? in Step 2, does that mean to fold the mirror out (so that it doesn't "sit" in the groove) so that it's halfway between folded in and in the standard driving position? What is this Break Away position in step 2?
Appreciate 0