E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First time bmw wax

12-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
manu328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi

First time bmw wax

I have a 08 e92 black. What\'s the best course for the paint for a first time newbie I really need to get it nice again. I can see some minor swirl marks my thought from the dealer.... Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & F25

Garage List
... greetings ...

i have become partial to Chemical Guys products ... i have new automobiles which were about 95% swirl free (rest dealer induced) and some members here suggested:

Chemical Guys V38 polish (very light polish)
followed by
Chemical Guys Black Light
followed by
Chemical Guys JetSeal109
followed by
Chemical Guys V7

... all i have to say is WOWWWW

pm your email and forward you a "handy document" with a lot of info for you to dig in

maybe the real pros will chime in and spread some "lovin" and let us in into their secrets

regards
      12-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Are you going to be using a polisher or by hand? My answer will depend on your answer

First - you need to wash and dry properly because black is a bitch to maintain. The less you touch it the better

http://www.autopia.org/forum/welcome...s-newbies.html
      12-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335!

even if you dont want it, get the document from electricjet, great document
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
manu328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

All by hand
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

A similar question was just asked so I apologize but my response will look somewhat similar. The Detailed Image detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog are great starting points for detailing information. Below is a recommendation for a full detail done by hand.

Wash/Dry - most swirls come from this process so quality products and techniques are critical. Check out our detailing guide for this step and other steps to maximize your efforts. Here are two awesome kits if interested.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar - This step deep cleans the paint so it's free from stubborn build ups not removed by the washing process. This may seem complicated or different but it's pretty simple and basic. In short spray some clay lube on the paint and glide the bar side to side and picks up micro contaminants in the paint. Here is an excellent value on a clay bar and lube - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

Polish - This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. A Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer is very safe and easy to use and a huge help here but I understand if it's not something you want to use at this time. If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

Protection - After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply by hand with a foam applicator. If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors. If you want a bit more gloss from a paste wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 4x - 8x of them. Upon completion step back and admire how awesome your vehicle looks.

Right now we have free shipping on all orders through 12/16 no minimum and throughout Dec we have free shipping on orders over $99. If you have any other questions please let me know. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
manu328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thxs a lot
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjet View Post
pm your email and forward you a "handy document" with a lot of info for you to dig in
PM sent for the Doc!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & F25

Garage List
on it's way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post