E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JL C5 Mids with C5 or C2 Tweeters? Or Something Else?

04-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

JL C5 Mids with C5 or C2 Tweeters? Or Something Else?

Hey guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to audio setups. I have hifi with navi and just like a bunch of other people, went the xd600 route. Plan on keeping the underseat subs for now but want to replace the doors with either of these:

C2 Tweeters (Do the tweeters come with a crossover or would I have to buy separate?)
http://checkout.jlaudio.com/p/c2-075ct?pp=12

C5 Tweeters (Do the tweeters come with a crossover or would I have to buy separate?)
http://checkout.jlaudio.com/p/c5-075ct?pp=12

C5 Speakers
http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_1...-w-Grille.html

How will this setup work for something basic as an upgrade to the standard hifi. Also, is there a significant difference in the C5 vs C2 tweeters? And as I read on here, it sounds like unless I get the Morel Ovations that I will be missing midbass if I put the SWS under my seat. I don't plan on putting a dedicated sub in my trunk or anywhere else. I don't mind spending hte money on better speakers but I'm just all over the place trying to figure out value vs actually having much better results for the money spent.

Thanks all for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Hey guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to audio setups. I have hifi with navi and just like a bunch of other people, went the xd600 route. Plan on keeping the underseat subs for now but want to replace the doors with either of these:

C2 Tweeters (Do the tweeters come with a crossover or would I have to buy separate?)
http://checkout.jlaudio.com/p/c2-075ct?pp=12

C5 Tweeters (Do the tweeters come with a crossover or would I have to buy separate?)
http://checkout.jlaudio.com/p/c5-075ct?pp=12

C5 Speakers
http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_1...-w-Grille.html

How will this setup work for something basic as an upgrade to the standard hifi. Also, is there a significant difference in the C5 vs C2 tweeters? And as I read on here, it sounds like unless I get the Morel Ovations that I will be missing midbass if I put the SWS under my seat. I don't plan on putting a dedicated sub in my trunk or anywhere else. I don't mind spending hte money on better speakers but I'm just all over the place trying to figure out value vs actually having much better results for the money spent.

Thanks all for the help.
I don't know much about the difference between the C2 and C5 but most tweeters do come with inline filters to protect the tweeter. If you're looking at just a one-for-one replacement of the hi-fi speakers, that will work but it will also mean your mid will play up into the upper treble frequencies and naturally roll off it's response. That could be a good or bad thing.

As far as the SWS, they are hard to beat if you're going to use them as your only source of low frequency output. Yes, they don't do well in the midbass frequencies but as far as I know, there is nothing available that will give you solid midbass and go as low as the SWS do in that space. You can get the SWS to sound decent in the midbass frequencies but it requires some heavy processing.

When I ran the SWS, I had them connected to a Zapco DC650.6 amp which has internal processing. My front mids and tweeters were also connected to that amp so I had full control over all the crossover points and relative output for each driver. I LP the SWS at 140 and was able to let my mids take over from 160 and up. Luckily, the a/d/s/ mids I have can provide decent output at those frequencies. Not all 4' mids can do that. With a lot of EQing, I was able to get the 2 to blend to the point where it sounded decent.
      04-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Thanks. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Why don't you buy some matched component sets instead

Why don't you buy some matched component sets instead
There seem to be a lot of new 3 way sets and 2 ways out there now for
the fronts in e9x's Gladen ,Focal , Rockford Fosgate, Jehnerts
that are direct fits.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
VF154
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011, 328i

Did u look at MB Quart or Bavauto? Does anyone know if the MB Quarts are worth 500 for a middle price range speaker?
      05-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF154 BlackNight View Post
Did u look at MB Quart or Bavauto? Does anyone know if the MB Quarts are worth 500 for a middle price range speaker?
Not any of the MB Quart stuff that was made recently.
      05-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
mitoticfigure
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sedan Sport MT

Just get the xd600/6 amp and the c2 tweeters. leave the drivers in the doors. thats what I did and it sounds great.

add the SWS later if you still want more bass.
Appreciate 0