E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E30 Cobb Log

11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

E30 Cobb Log

Hi, Still new at reading logs and whats considered in the norm for specific maps.
Could someone with experience in reading logs help decipher mine

2008 335i 6MT 45,XXXmiles
Cobb E30 map - (5gl e85 & filled up with 93oct)
FBO--
-Hybrid Cone and BMS Panel intake
-Helix FMIC
-3" catless dps
-Stock Exhaust
-Forge DVs

The run was done from about 2500rpms in 3rd gear to about 5500rpms in 4th gear. WOT, foot pinned to the floor.
Traction Control Completely disabled.

If im reading the log correctly looks like i was pulling timing across all cylinders except #4.
Now is the amount of timing pulled something to be concerned about?
Anything else i should be on the look out for next time i log?
Thanks in advance for the help
Attached Files
File Type: zip datalog2.zip (6.3 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by EastCoast335i; 11-17-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

First things first: Did you completely disable traction control when you took the log? I ask because you were having fairly severe throttle closures and overboosts. I'm not 100% sure if the overboosts were causing the throttle closures or if the throttle closures were causing the overboosts. Based on the data it loos like it's the first. Do a seach and you'll find a couple threads that discuss how to correct the overboosts using ATR.

Now about those timing corrections: You're 100% correct in your assesment. The corrections weren't severe so to correct that just run a slightly higher ethanol mix. Just keep increasing the mix until the corrections go away. Add STFT and LTFT to your logging list and make sure they aren't maxxing out at 34%. If they do then you'll have to increase the fuel scalar value in ATR.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
First things first: Did you completely disable traction control when you took the log? I ask because you were having fairly severe throttle closures and overboosts. I'm not 100% sure if the overboosts were causing the throttle closures or if the throttle closures were causing the overboosts. Based on the data it loos like it's the first. Do a seach and you'll find a couple threads that discuss how to correct the overboosts using ATR.

Now about those timing corrections: You're 100% correct in your assesment. The corrections weren't severe so to correct that just run a slightly higher ethanol mix. Just keep increasing the mix until the corrections go away. Add STFT and LTFT to your logging list and make sure they aren't maxxing out at 34%. If they do then you'll have to increase the fuel scalar value in ATR.
traction control was completely disabled.
what line# in the excel spreadsheet are you seeing throttle closure?
I'm not sure what to look for?
keep in mind i am 6mt, the only time there should be closure is when i shifted gears from 3rd to 4th. the rest of the run was done WOT, foot pinned to the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
traction control was completely disabled.
what line# in the excel spreadsheet are you seeing throttle closure?
I'm not sure what to look for?
keep in mind i am 6mt, the only time there should be closure is when i shifted gears from 3rd to 4th. the rest of the run was done WOT, foot pinned to the ground.
You'll look at TPS actual when looking for throttle closures. The DME uses the throttle plate to regulate boost, so when you have an overboost the DME will close the throttle plate. The DME also uses the throttle plate as part of the traction control system to regulate power and wheel spin, that's why it can be a hard to tell which is which unless you know traction control was disabled.

Check this thread out, it's pretty helpful to get started reading and interpreting datalogs. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...talogging+cobb
      11-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You'll look at TPS actual when looking for throttle closures. The DME uses the throttle plate to regulate boost, so when you have an overboost the DME will close the throttle plate. The DME also uses the throttle plate as part of the traction control system to regulate power and wheel spin, that's why it can be a hard to tell which is which unless you know traction control was disabled.

Check this thread out, it's pretty helpful to get started reading and interpreting datalogs. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...talogging+cobb
Thanks
That was a very informative read...
Now I just need to search around to find out why im overboosting
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks
That was a very informative read...
Now I just need to search around to find out why im overboosting
You're over boosting because of the Cobb OTS WGDC base mapping. For a lot of cars it works just fine, but for cars with "tight" wastegates it's simply more WGDC than what is necessary to hit boost targets. All you have to do is dial back the WG base table where you're having the issues. It's pretty easy but takes a few steps and it's been discussed a couple times(and it's 2am for me lol) so I'd rather not go through it now.
      11-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All you have to do is dial back the WG base table where you're having the issues. It's pretty easy but takes a few steps and it's been discussed a couple times(and it's 2am for me lol) so I'd rather not go through it now.
ok ok ok, go to sleep and then wake up and help me some more

So far what ive learned from Anema
--Add a bit more e85 to see if that fixes the timing corrections while logging STFT & LTFT make sure they are not maxing out at 34%
--Consider getting ATR or Protuned to smooth out, overboost throttle closures
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
ok ok ok, go to sleep and then wake up and help me some more

So far what ive learned from Anema
--Add a bit more e85 to see if that fixes the timing corrections while logging STFT & LTFT make sure they are not maxing out at 34%
--Consider getting ATR or Protuned to smooth out, overboost throttle closures
Yep
I highly suggest getting in touch with jake@PTF. With your FBO+e85 setup you can make absolutely scary power with those guys.