E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M Badging on non M-Parts

03-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

M Badging on non M-Parts

Forgive me-- I know this has probably been beat to death.

I think MOST people think it's tacky and poser-ish to debadge your non M car and put an M badge on the back of it, but does it bother anyone else to see the M logo on a non-M's parts?

I mean, it's one thing to replace your shifter with an M shifter and get the M logo on the shift knob-- even though that alone is enough to bother me, but I just saw some parts for sale that are clearly third party parts, meant for the 335/328 with the M logo emblazoned on it. So now, we have after-market non M parts for a non-M car sporting the M-logo...

I'm debadging my 335i because I don't care what people think about the car I'm driving... anyone who knows anything about BMWs would know it wasn't an M3 just by looking at it, and anyone who doesn't know anything about BMWs wouldn't know the difference between a 335i and a 318ti anyway... but if I had my way, even the after-market parts I am looking to get, such as the shift knob, I'd rather they didn't have that M logo on it...

Slow news day I guess... how do you guys feel about it? This was all brought on by a chain thought because I spotted a 525/528 debadged with an M logo on the back of it. Not M5... just "//M"... and it was crooked. I don't get people sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Rebadge your car an M325. That might work. Otherwise, parts are parts. Just put on what you enjoy, its your car, you are the one driving it.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
what about the m sport trim? that has an m steering wheel, m door sills & m wheels.

does that bother you?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs View Post
what about the m sport trim? that has an m steering wheel, m door sills & m wheels.

does that bother you?
Would bother me (a tiny bit) on my car, wouldn't bother me on anyone else's car. Also, that came from BMW-- it's the actual M trim... mostly I'm talking about some of these bolt-on aftermarket stuff that is third party wearing the //M badge... performance fiberglass, maybe?

Mostly though, I only have an emotional reaction to people who rebadge their cars UPWARDS-- I think it says something about them that they want other people to think they have something they don't have or are something that they are not. I deal with people on a day to day basis and it seems like the kind of personality behind this desire is the part that bothers me-- not the application of it on their car.

Anyway, such a minor rant, probably wasn't worth making.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

The M badge from BMW is genuine part.

M3, M5, M6 are the cars. (M coupe was an exception)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
The M badge from BMW is genuine part.

M3, M5, M6 are the cars. (M coupe was an exception)

That's one way to look at it-- "Yep, that's a genuine M badge on that 525i!"

I need to get one for my truck now.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
i agree that sticking an m badge on the back of a base model car is a little bit sad.

you can always burn them off at the lights & put them in their place
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

sticking an m badge or m# badge on is tacky and lame.

m logos on aftermarket parts can be kinda lame.

using m or m-technic parts on a non-m car, i have no issues with that. some people just prefer to use and like the styling of m-technic parts, plus they're oem. then there's even some non-m cars that come with those parts stock from the factory.
      03-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
i never liked the ideal of badging my own car with something that it isn't, but that's just me....on other peoples car it never really bother me, heck i've even though it looked good in some ways....but if they come to believe that badge makes them more of a badass on the road, then booo!! to them, retards..
      03-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

5-6 years I actially saw a "328iM3" badged, well... 328i.

Kinda interesting 'cause anyone who would actually care would also know its phony.

But it's your car. Do whatever makes you happy.

I'd be more inclined to de-badge an M3 or delete model type... (at $0, about the cheapest factory option on the 911) but that's just my preference.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

If someone has a burning desire to put an M emblem on their car, what harm does it do? We all know the difference, but for those that don't know the difference, it really doesn't matter. It your car and you can do as you like. If someone else doesn't like it, that's THEIR problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
If someone has a burning desire to put an M emblem on their car, what harm does it do? We all know the difference, but for those that don't know the difference, it really doesn't matter. It your car and you can do as you like. If someone else doesn't like it, that's THEIR problem.
True... I just kind of feel bad for them. Having a BMW isn't enough? They want people to think they spent more money than they did... it's kind of the whole rat-race mentality.

I try to be thankful I can eat three square meals a day... everything above and beyond is just fluff and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #13
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Yeah The M Badge being abused really upsets the balance of the Universe... I mean that's just like the Honda Accords running round with the little "S" on em...

Just pretty lame. If someone is ignorant or shallow enough, or so desperate for that little bit of extra "Bling" to impress some freaking fanboys? Then they have MUCH bigger problems than that little letter.

We should be more understanding of their "Special" needs and just let them be. Life has been cruel enough already.

Then again worrying about what someone else is doing with letters or numbers on their car and how it may lesson the Earth Shattering Import of that "M" on the back of your own car, is pretty silly too. Who gives a crap? Does it make your car less impressive to the neighbors? Do you find it personally offensive? If so then you might be just as defective as the Guy in his //M Chevy Sprint. (Yes I've Seen it)

WAY WAY too much importance is placed on Symbols, Trappings, Emblems in this country. All you have to do is look around a little. You're bound to see the idiots with their "Coach" or "LV" bags getting into the worn out 1987 Toyota Tercel, or the S500 with the "Chrome Dubs" parked outside the crappy apartment, on and on. Americans are completely addicted to this chasing of the "trappings of wealth", herding sheeple addicted to name brands and "Lifestyle". It's pretty sad. Blind to the fact that they just look plain silly. All the look none of the content. Trying so hard to one up a neighbor, not even understanding what it is they are buying or why.

BAH, three little letters "BMW" means a good drivers car, a car that offers a lot of comfort and quality. It doesn't make you taller, wealthier, or better looking, though it might mean you are a little smarter. Otherwise it's just a car, and the "M" is just a badge. Why sweat it?

Enthusiasts all know what is and isn't real, they will recognize the M and appreciate the potential there in that vehicle, or the Lack of when it's slapped on a Volvo Wagon.
      03-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
PIMPIN THE E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328 AW CR

I think it just looks funny and makes them look idiotic...I once saw an old 318 that was beaten up, barely had any paint, just worthless, with this brand new shiny ///M Badge on the back. It made me laugh, and when i drove by them, I laughed soo hard. freakin idiot
      03-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #15
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Here's the interesting part, though... it seems BMW is buying into this as well. My wife's 2007 X3 (6-mt, BTW), has the sport package installed. This includes better gear ratios, higher top speed, and.... ///M trim.
///M trim on the doorsills, gear shift, all four wheels, and shift knob. There is no ///M on the back of the car, though.

What do you guys think of that?
      03-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #16
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkraven View Post
Forgive me-- I know this has probably been beat to death.

I'm debadging my 335i because I don't care what people think about the car I'm driving...
You shouldn't care about what other people think about the car they're driving either. It's their personal preference, and if they want to be tacky, let them be. They like it, and what matters most is how it makes them feel.

Personally, the purist in me does not much care for non-OEM, pseudo-M parts. Am I bothered by the M-sport 330i or 335i? No, because that's the way it it was offered from the factory. It's a M-sport, not a M3, we know the difference, and if someone has a problem with it, that's their problem. I love the M-sport shifter knob, because of the way it feels, looks, and the little ///M is cool. Same thing with the M-steering wheel. It's thicker, feels better, looks better, IS better. I'm not going to hate on it because someone has a problem with the little M on it.

The Mercedes C230 has AMG exhaust tips on it. That doesn't make it less of a car, and its owner a poser.
      03-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #17
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesmu View Post
Here's the interesting part, though... it seems BMW is buying into this as well. My wife's 2007 X3 (6-mt, BTW), has the sport package installed. This includes better gear ratios, higher top speed, and.... ///M trim.
///M trim on the doorsills, gear shift, all four wheels, and shift knob. There is no ///M on the back of the car, though.

What do you guys think of that?
Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
BayernMuenchen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Yeah, it's tacky putting the M badge on the back of your car unless it's really an M. But the trim parts, shifters and other add-ons afaik are designed by m-tech. I certainly dont see an issue with using those parts. They are BMW m-tech designed parts for the non-M cars, not just M parts.
      03-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post

The Mercedes C230 has AMG exhaust tips on it. That doesn't make it less of a car, and its owner a poser.
LMAO very good point!!

I know this personlly cause I got one!! :rocks: