E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Broken angel eye ring **UPDATED** with DIY opening headlight and LED angel rings

10-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Broken angel eye ring **UPDATED** with DIY opening headlight and LED angel rings

**UPDATED BELOW** - DIY HOW TO OPEN HEADLIGHTS, INSTALL LED RINGS AND PICS

Name:  Screen shot 2010-10-30 at 8.54.04 AM.png
Views: 95669
Size:  931.7 KB

I'm attempting to remove the amber reflectors by covering with CF pieces I bought from Marc. While opening the headlights I didn't realize that the angel eye bulb must be removed from the back to allow access to unclip the angel eye stems before you remove the front lens from the headlight. Anyway, pulling the lens off, I broke the angel eye rings. They're just plastic so I superglued them with success. What I'm wondering is will they still emit light properly? The glue is clear so in theory it will conduct light the same. If not, is it possible to buy new rings only? Looking at Tischer it's just part of the headlight assembly and can't be purchased separately.

Name:  IMG_1399.jpg
Views: 55634
Size:  128.7 KB

Last edited by 3X3=5; 10-30-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

You may try to test it out with the lights off and concentrating a LED flashlight or something through the acrylic tubes. There is always the option of ordering one of LS3 kits since your headlight is open anyways
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I would put LED angel eyes I am debating on what I want to do I want to get them open and put clear corners and led angel eyes but I need a diy for how to take apart xenon head lights
2007 335i e90 - Sold
2002 Taig / Red / / / M3 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Since you have it all apart, you could put in the LED rings from Umnitza and have a serious upgrade http://umnitza.com/umnitza-predator-...te-p-5680.html
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
If the break is there you could probably just super glue it together. i thought the break was in a worse spot.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I would get the umnitza kit...even if you glue it back together and the light can pass through the glue, you'll still risk breakage down the road. Hitting potholes and daily driving is aggressive on the headlights.

Also theres no point in putting LEDs in that you can't see in direct sunlight. You already took the risk of opening your headlights...don't half ass on angel eyes. Get the real deal and make it look SICK!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

********* - good point about the possibility of breakage. Nothing would suck worse than having it fall apart inside the headlight after I hit a pot hole... Also you can see a little bit where the glue is at the bottom - it illuminates white rather than clear. I put the lights back on the car to test the light output and the undamaged side is a little brighter. Not much, but it's noticeable and it would bother me. Pics below (note the new ETS front mount!)

So I'm stuck replacing them for sure. I just spoke with Umnitza about their kit and it does look damn good. Guess I'll have to go that route and be even happier with my angel eyes!

PICS - Broken angel eyes on left.
Attached Images

Last edited by 3X3=5; 10-06-2010 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Glue won't work, you have to replace the whole thing.
I broke the ambient light strip (works on same principle) and all the light was coming out where it broke. Tried to glue it, melt it but nothing worked.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
can some one find a diy to take the head light apart?
2007 335i e90 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's the DIY for opening headlights, HOWEVER IT IS NOT FOR CARS WITH ANGEL EYES! As I found out unclipping them is a critical step before you remove the lens. This is done by removing the housing cover for the angel bulb, removing the bulb and simply unclip the little tab inside (small tab on the acrylic angel eye stem clips into the housing). If this isn't done, the angel eye ring is attached to both the housing and the lens - when you pull them apart the rings break.

Also, this DIY he suggests prying the headlight open from one side. If you have angels YOU CANNOT DO THIS or it will also break them. The stems which pick up the light from the bulb run straight back - the lens must be pulled straight forward to avoid bending/breaking.

I would also note that it worked best to heat up about 4-5" at a time, then gently work a flat headed screwdriver under the black part at an angle almost parallel to the lens. I started prying perpendicular to the lens but that damaged the housing more. On that note, be careful not to destroy the groove that the lens slides into - with a sharp screwdriver and a heat gun it's easy to do.

For anyone thinking about doing this, think twice. It's a serious pain in the ass, risky and a screw up will cost you. I broke an angel eye and you can't replace it with OEM. I'm "forced" to upgrade to the Umnitza kit. Oh well, it's not so bad, but it's money and time (to send them the lights) I didn't plan on spending. I'd suggest just sending your lights to Marc (MDS82) or Umnitza and let the experts handle it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...s+remove+amber
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3times3 View Post
Here's the DIY for opening headlights, HOWEVER IT IS NOT FOR CARS WITH ANGEL EYES! As I found out unclipping them is a critical step before you remove the lens. This is done by removing the housing cover for the angel bulb, removing the bulb and simply unclip the little tab inside (small tab on the acrylic angel eye stem clips into the housing). If this isn't done, the angel eye ring is attached to both the housing and the lens - when you pull them apart the rings break.

Also, this DIY he suggests prying the headlight open from one side. If you have angels YOU CANNOT DO THIS or it will also break them. The stems which pick up the light from the bulb run straight back - the lens must be pulled straight forward to avoid bending/breaking.

I would also note that it worked best to heat up about 4-5" at a time, then gently work a flat headed screwdriver under the black part at an angle almost parallel to the lens. I started prying perpendicular to the lens but that damaged the housing more. On that note, be careful not to destroy the groove that the lens slides into - with a sharp screwdriver and a heat gun it's easy to do.

For anyone thinking about doing this, think twice. It's a serious pain in the ass, risky and a screw up will cost you. I broke an angel eye and you can't replace it with OEM. I'm "forced" to upgrade to the Umnitza kit. Oh well, it's not so bad, but it's money and time (to send them the lights) I didn't plan on spending. I'd suggest just sending your lights to Marc (MDS82) or Umnitza and let the experts handle it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...s+remove+amber

do u have any pics of how u did it becuase i really whanna do it...
2007 335i e90 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Since I'm getting a lot of interest in this, I'll post a full DIY when I'm done (it's still in process, and will be for a few days since I have to order my new angel eye LEDs). I hope to have it complete next Tuesday. But seriously this is not for the faint of heart and takes a loooong time. I've done this before on a 2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse so I thought I could handle it, but this is a ton of work. I hope the results are worth it!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3times3 View Post
Since I'm getting a lot of interest in this, I'll post a full DIY when I'm done (it's still in process, and will be for a few days since I have to order my new angel eye LEDs). I hope to have it complete next Tuesday. But seriously this is not for the faint of heart and takes a loooong time. I've done this before on a 2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse so I thought I could handle it, but this is a ton of work. I hope the results are worth it!
trust me its worth it... and i know my friend is leting me use his stock headlights while i work on taking my crap apart and working on them so i could use my car and work on them..
2007 335i e90 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hey man anything about that diy? i really whanna crack this shit open lol
2007 335i e90 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
Blistex
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 + E93

you are screw with the broken halo tube; you need to buy a used/broken headlight from the wreck yard.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

My headlight project was finally completed last week. As stated above, my intent was only to open the headlights to install a silver carbon fiber trim that I bought from Marc (MDS82) over the amber reflectors. I had WiessLicht angel eye bulbs from JLevi ready to install. But during the process of removing the lens, I cracked both angel eye rings on the passenger side. Knowing what not to do, I didn't break anything when opening the other side, but one broken ring might as well be all four since they cannot be replaced. I was faced with a decision: re-install my broken and repaired rings even though they weren't quite as bright now, go without any angel eyes at all or get an LED set from Umnitza. After quite a bit of research I chose option three. I spoke with Matt at Umnitza at length before making the decision and he was nice enough to answer all my questions. I considered sending my headlights down to them and having them install the LED rings. But that was more downtime, $250 in additional labor costs and additional shipping costs. Matt and I agreed that, at this point, I have the headlights open and I've done the hard part so I might as well just buy the rings and install them myself. This was wrong - the hard part had only begun.

Here's a very very long review of the process opening the headlights, installing LED angel eyes and covering the reflectors and sealing the headlight back up. My write up is so long because the process is so long, I'll so I'll summarize it by saying DON'T ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF. It's a shit load of work and there are so many ways in which it can go wrong. The reason I'm writing this is because I received so many inquiries about how to do it. Perhaps this will illustrate the difficult nature of the install and persuade other DIY'ers to let the pros handle it. Oh and the usual "I'm not responsible for whatever stupid shit you do to yourself or your car" applies. Here goes.

Opening the headlight. Longtran's DIY is pretty good but leaves out a crucial step for those who have angel eyes. Before you begin, unclip the little cover on the back bottom of the housing and remove the angel eye bulb. Once the bulb is out you will see the back of the angel eye ring stems - the part that runs down from the ring back to the bulb to pick up light.

Name:  IMG_1417.jpg
Views: 65913
Size:  212.1 KB

Opening where the angel eye stems go back to meet with the bulb.
Name:  IMG_1419.jpg
Views: 51323
Size:  217.3 KB

These stems clip to the housing. You must unclip them, otherwise when you remove the lens in front you're pulling the rings front the front and back, and something's gotta give.
Name:  IMG_1420.jpg
Views: 50574
Size:  268.4 KB

The stem on the left side is clipped in, the one on the right is unclipped.
Name:  IMG_1425.jpg
Views: 50415
Size:  252.9 KB

To begin opening the light, use a heat gun (I used a Wagner 1000 degree model) and work one 4-5" section at a time. Move the heat gun back and forth until the plastic starts to change texture. Work a wide flathead screwdriver parallel to the seam, prying the plastic lip up and back.
Name:  IMG_1590.jpg
Views: 50351
Size:  350.3 KB

Working parallel rather than perpendicular will help you avoid punching through the back of the groove - try to avoid doing this:
Name:  IMG_1416.jpg
Views: 50800
Size:  233.2 KB

Get your screwdriver to the back of the groove to break the adhesive between the lens and housing. There's no substitute for time and patience here - I think I spent over an hour on each light just doing this. Once you've gone all the way around and gotten it to start coming open, keep slowly working the areas that are stuck. The outer corner is pretty difficult because of the shape. I don't think mangling it can be avoided really, but you can reshape it later:
Name:  IMG_1428.jpg
Views: 50800
Size:  351.7 KB

Don't pull the lens at an angle and try to pry it open from one side as Longtran suggested - this will break your angel eye rings too. Once you've broken up all the adhesive, pull the lens straight forward. Whew, step one of 10,000 complete.

Cleaning and reshaping. I used a utility knife to scrape out all of the old seal from both the lens and the housing.
Name:  IMG_1411.jpg
Views: 49680
Size:  270.9 KB

Longtran suggests using a Dremel with a sanding bit. I tried this but all that dust and debris gets EVERYWHERE. Including into the back of the housing and into places you'll have a hard time cleaning it out. Better to use a knife to minimize the mess. Be sure no debris or rubber shavings get behind the bulb housings. The chrome parts surrounding the low and high beams aren't sealed so debris can enter from the back. If you have particles behind the lens, blow it out using canned air with the straw attached so you can curve it around the back.

Clean the glue very thoroughly from both the groove in the housing and both sides of the lens edge. It took about one hour for both housings and 45 minutes for both lenses. It's an extremely tedious process, but better to put in the time now than have a poor seal and have moisture in your headlight later.

Once the old seal is all out, use your heat gun to reform everything to its original shape. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the closer it is to original shape the better seal you'll get. Again, take your time - I spent a couple of hours per side reshaping everything. I used a combination of pliers, flathead and thick rubber work gloves to reshape. There's no magic technique, just use your judgement. Cleaned out and re-shaped:
Name:  IMG_1443.jpg
Views: 53060
Size:  369.6 KB

Covering the amber reflector. This section assumes that you've ordered carbon fiber covers from Marc like I did. The reflector unclips from the headlight housing trim - it's pretty obvious how to do this. Once it's off, you'll need to mask the clear part on the back of it and spray paint the backside of the amber black. This is so no light will shine though, so be sure to get good coverage, 3 coats or so. Flat black is best. You may also need to paint the front side of the bottom tip of the reflector, as my CF covers didn't go all the way over it. Once it's dry, test fit your CF covers so you're familiar with how they go on. I used a clear silicone to make a bead tracing the perimeter of the reflector, then just laid the cover over it. I used blue painter's tape to secure them together, making sure no silicone seeped out. If it does it can easily be wiped off with warm water. Clear silicone is best in case you get some oozing out. Let it dry per the instructions.
Name:  IMG_1446.jpg
Views: 49475
Size:  329.2 KB

Alternatively, you could paint both sides of the amber and go for a black out look. I prefer the silver CF because it looks like a Euro reflector, but it's a matter of preference. However you choose to delete the amber, once it's done you can snap it back onto the headlight trim and remount the trim to the lens. Also, as long as I was at it I painted the little metal trim strip next to the turn signal black.

Selecting LED rings.
Basically there is no "kit" for this car (or really any BMW as far as I can tell). Umnitza sells this as a kit for E92 and E60 but it's by no means a direct fitment. The LED rings are universal and can be used for any car, so it takes quite a bit of time and patience to determine how to fit and mount them to the headlight. There are several sizes of rings available. For reference, on an E90 sedan the stock outer ring is 11.8 cm (outside diameter) and the inner ring is 10.7 cm. What I initially received (as suggested by Matt) were rings sized 10.5 cm for the outer and 9.2 cm for the inner. This is about 1.3 cm smaller than stock for both rings, and I didn't think it looked right.

Test fitting the 9.2 cm and 10.5 cm rings:
Name:  IMG_1513.jpg
Views: 49890
Size:  506.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1550.jpg
Views: 49018
Size:  412.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1547.jpg
Views: 48756
Size:  147.5 KB

I wanted to stay as close to OEM as possible. However, the OEM outer ring is about 12 cm, and there is no 12 cm LED ing that's a complete circle - they're open at the top like a horseshoe. It's a matter of personal preference, and I don't like the horseshoe look as well as a complete ring.

The three ring sizes - 9.2 cm, 10.5 cm and 12.5 cm horseshoe:
Name:  IMG_1582.jpg
Views: 49634
Size:  391.8 KB

I chose to do the 10.5 cm rings both inside and out as I felt that's the most aesthetically pleasing look and closest to stock. Yes, I'd have preferred a larger outer ring but not at the cost of having a full circle. So I ordered two additional 10.5 cm rings from Matt and a few days later I have all my parts to proceed. Test fitting dual 10.5 cm rings, taped in place:
Name:  IMG_1564.jpg
Views: 48676
Size:  524.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1565.jpg
Views: 48569
Size:  479.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1570.jpg
Views: 48259
Size:  283.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1576.jpg
Views: 48702
Size:  114.6 KB

Fitting the rings. The next challenge is the fact the rings have nothing, literally nothing, to attach a bracket to. It's all up to you to glue it carefully and thoroughly - use enough that it will hold permanently (because what could be worse than a ring falling off inside your sealed headlight) but not so much that it oozes out and looks messy. I used Liquid Nails PL construction adhesive. It's extremely strong and should easily be a permanent hold. Umnitza uses either this or Loctite roofing adhesive. But before you can glue, you have to figure out how the hell you're going to mount these things. When I initially talked to Matt and asked about this he said we'll send you brackets and you'll see how to do it, it'll be obvious, it's easy, etc. The only thing that was obvious was these brackets are in no way made to fit my car or any car specifically. They're just general purpose black metal brackets. The OEM angel rings attach with small screws to the top of the black headlight trim that's attached to the inside of the lens.
Name:  IMG_1439.jpg
Views: 49566
Size:  232.9 KB

The problem with trying to do this is there's no easy way to mount a bracket to this trim due to weird angles, and if you attach the ring to the lens you can't be sure that it will center over projector housing when you re-attach the lens.
Name:  IMG_1535_2.jpg
Views: 47969
Size:  326.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1539.jpg
Views: 57743
Size:  530.2 KB

So the only real option was to mount the rings to the headlight housing. Luckily there are a couple of flat points on top of the xenon projector housing and the DRL housing. Mounting points indicated by the red dots.
Name:  IMG_1531.jpg
Views: 53774
Size:  356.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1532.jpg
Views: 47879
Size:  237.8 KB

I bent the brackets to approximate shapes, cut them to size and bent some more. I used 3M adhesive tape to attach the ring to my bracket for test-fitting, test-fitting and more test-fitting. This isn't easy to do - the bracket needs to clear the headlight trim because with Adaptive/Dynamic headlights the projector housing moves and therefore the ring will move with it. So clearance is crucial. See the tight fit:
Name:  IMG_1524.jpg
Views: 48275
Size:  324.2 KB

You also need to make sure it's centered left to right, top to bottom, straight up and down and is the right distance from the headlight itself. A note on that topic: E92 angel eye rings mount directly to the headlight housings themselves, there's no gap. E90 rings are actually pushed out about .5" from the headlights, so you must "float" them in front using the hidden brackets mounted above.
Name:  IMG_1586.jpg
Views: 54430
Size:  427.7 KB

After much test-fitting I had my brackets finalized (I marked them D or P to for driver and passenger to ensure I applied the right bracket to the side that I initially fit it to).

Attaching the rings and brackets. Sorry I don't have any pics for the gluing and brackets section, but it will vary by install anyway. I glued the rings to the brackets. To do this I laid the rings flat on my work space and propped the bracket up against a heavy box. This way the bracket would be supported as the adhesive dried. After about 12 hours I applied a thin second layer of adhesive just to be sure. When it was dry I test fitted the ring/bracket to the headlights again. I didn't align the bracket to the ring perfectly and had to make some more adjustments to the bracket to re-center the rings. Definitely much better to adjust your brackets BEFORE you glue them to the headlight. Adjusting them once it's all glued together risks breakage or damage. Once they were perfect I glued the brackets to the headlights themselves. Before I glued to the housing I used rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip to remove the chrome coating in the area I was gluing to. This way I was adhering directly to the plastic.

Part of my bracket design incorporated a "hook" on the inside which went around the back of the housing (sorry, I didn't take any pics of the brackets for some reason). This helped the bracket support itself while the glue dried. The reason I did this is the glue takes at least an hour before it starts to set up, and until then it will allow the bracket to slide off. Taping the bracket is very difficult because you have wet glue spilling out the sides and you can't really tape to the chrome housing because the chrome coating peels right off and you'll damage it. So bending the end of the bracket around into a hook anchors it until the glue dries. After about 12 hours I applied another layer of adhesive to the housing. You will never see the glue up there anyway, so might as well use a little more to be sure it's secure.

Wiring. I mounted the white junction box that the rings plug into to the inside top of the headlight housing, between the DRL and xenon where this is plenty of clearance. Because the wires that come off the rings aren't very long, it was necessary to keep the junction box close. I ran the wires from the junction box down behind the DRL and to the recess at the bottom of the headlight housing where the OEM angel bulb was. I used insulated "quick connectors" to hard wire the junction box to the OEM bulb wires. This was plug and play, just wire them together and it worked. I mounted the rings with the wires at the top so they're not visible. I pushed the wires back into the headlight housing, then plugged them into the junction box up top. The only downside to this is that I should have painted the junction box black - if you get low you can see the white box reflection in the chrome beam housing. No big deal though.
Name:  IMG_1588.jpg
Views: 58426
Size:  464.0 KB

Re-attaching the lens. Once all the glue is dry it's time to replace the lens. I test fitted the lens several times before to make sure my fitment was good. But now I had to be sure that the trim inside cleared the rings I'd just mounted. As I slid the lens/trim over the housing and rings I was very careful to keep it straight and not to knock into the rings - the inner ring is the same size as OEM and it's a very tight fit within that trim (the xenon ring was less of an issue since it was now smaller than OEM giving more clearance). Luckily my precise bracket-work paid off and it centered perfectly within the trim. I used Permatex RTV silicone gasket maker (in black) as recommended by Marc. It was easy to work with, cleaned up with soap and water OK if you got to it quickly and was a pretty good match to the black plastic housing. It's actually a very dark gray, but blends well. I filled the groove in the housing about 3/4 of the way full, leaving room for the lens to press into it. Carefully re-assembled the lens and snapped it in. Once it was together I went around again with the adhesive and filled any obvious gaps. I pressed the lens hard into the housing as I applied Gorilla Tape to hold them together. I had about 10 pieces of Gorilla Tape in 8" lengths already torn so I didn't have to do that while holding the light together.
Name:  IMG_1585.jpg
Views: 47286
Size:  404.2 KB

The Silicone fully cures in 24 hours, so I left it for about 18 hours before removing the tape. Then I went over it again with more silicone and smoothed it out. Also, since I'd torn open the groove in a few spots while initially opening the headlight, I used some silicone on the backside of the groove to ensure it was sealed there as well. I gave it about 12 hours to be nice and dry before re-installing on the car.
Name:  IMG_1586.jpg
Views: 54430
Size:  427.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1587.jpg
Views: 47171
Size:  435.9 KB

Overcast day:
Name:  IMG_1593.jpg
Views: 61692
Size:  206.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1594.jpg
Views: 53208
Size:  168.2 KB

Garage, straight on:
Name:  IMG_1598.jpg
Views: 46619
Size:  97.3 KB

Garage, exposure turned down to capture the beaded look:
Name:  IMG_1600.jpg
Views: 46758
Size:  88.0 KB

Consclusion. This is probably one of the most difficult mods you can do. Why? Because things like downpipes, turbos, intercoolers are all meant to be removable. Your headlights were designed to sealed forever. If you break a clip while installing your intake you can buy another. If you break an angel eye ring or your headlight trim while attempting this, too bad, no replacements except a new headlight and start over. So basically there's a huge learning curve, a lot of ways to fuck it up and no room for errors. In the end, I'm glad I did it myself for only one reason - if I had just sent my headlights down to Umnitza and gone with their recommendation of 9 cm and 11 cm rings I wouldn't have been happy. But I'd have already shipped my lights down, waited, paid and had them sent back, so I'd be stuck with small rings. Having done it myself, I had all the ring sizes available to try and see what looked best and I got what I wanted. But other than that, the $250 that Umnitza or other shops charge for install is an amazing bargain for all the work involved. I highly recommend anyone else considering this just let a shop do it. In the end, I'm extremely happy with the way my lights look with both clear corners and LED rings. It was a serious pain in the ass, but actually worth it. While I was doing all these upgrades I went ahead and did LED front turn signals and side markers. Well worth it - chrome coated turn signal bulbs just don't hold up against the LED angel eyes. The LED signals are bright, crisp and look great with LED rings. I love the way the front of my car looks now.

Miscellaneous notes if you're still insane enough to DIY.

Don't touch the chrome coating around the headlights or in the reflector around the turn signal bulb. It picks up finger prints and can't be cleaned off very easily (the chrome coating comes right off if you try to clean it with anything).

Blow out the entire housing before putting back together with compressed air.

Be careful not to scratch your beam housings while scraping off the old glue. Keep careful control over your blade, otherwise it may slip and cause damage.

This may vary by model/year, but on my 7/07 build the OEM angel eyes would fade on when the car was unlocked (AKA "welcome lights") if the light switch is in the auto position. This functionality is retained with the LED rings, and no errors are shown on the dash. However if you leave the light switch in any other position it will trigger a bulb out warning (until you turn the lights on), which in turn causes the angels not to fade on when unlocked. So I just leave it in Auto position.

The light these rings puts out will really magnify any pitting and imperfections in the headlight lenses. It lights up every little pit and scratch, looks pretty bad. To fix this I wet-sanded and polished my headlights with good results. I didn't do a perfect job, but it looks about 50-60% better.

Last edited by 3X3=5; 10-30-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      10-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

You really have to have a set of kahona's to do this mod, good luck to those who do. This is not for the faint of heart , ,

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #18
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
o0o man it came out NUTSS!!! i would have done it but i got me a set of LUX 5.0's
2007 335i e90 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Why hasn't the title of this thread changed? I changed it yesterday to reflect the updated DIY and it still shows the original title asking about fixing a broken ring until you click on the thread to view it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
thwgw24
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: RB PWRED E90 N54 6MT

Garage List
07' E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3m0-330i View Post
o0o man it came out NUTSS!!! i would have done it but i got me a set of LUX 5.0's
I saw OP's car in person yesterday. Trust me. My LUX 5.0 looks like shit compare to his LED rings.
      10-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #21
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Wow, you did a great job. I don't trust myself enough to undertake a project like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #22
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
o0o god so tempting maybe ill have to do this in the winter when i dont use me car as much...
2007 335i e90 - Sold
Appreciate 0