E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What engine or model to go for? New 3 questions

06-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Or just buy a t-rex
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

So what you're saying is the only car you learned about since you've gotten into cars is the m4. No one just knows about an m3/4's mods without knowing a regular 335's. (They're basically the same thing not even considering the m4 has less production time and therefore less options). If you're 18 with 15-20k to spend, then go with a Honda Accord and save your money for when you're older and can do something useful with the money. Unless mom and dad are funding this project, a 15k 335 (N54 most likely) will cost you more than just the 15k to buy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
My assumption was you're parents are paying.

That's not really enough of an income for a BMW, at least in my opinion.

Get a junker and enjoy life, f the car.
What. How is that not enough for a 15k car. I make 1600$ biweekly net with no liabilities.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #26
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
So what you're saying is the only car you learned about since you've gotten into cars is the m4. No one just knows about an m3/4's mods without knowing a regular 335's. (They're basically the same thing not even considering the m4 has less production time and therefore less options). If you're 18 with 15-20k to spend, then go with a Honda Accord and save your money for when you're older and can do something useful with the money. Unless mom and dad are funding this project, a 15k 335 (N54 most likely) will cost you more than just the 15k to buy it.
Care to explain? How much per year will I need to spend in a used 335i?? Do these things really brake that often? I thought it was a much over exaggerated myth.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #27
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal
Quote:
Care to explain? How much per year will I need to spend in a used 335i?? Do these things really brake that often? I thought it was a much over exaggerated myth.
The N54 engine in the earlier 335's are more prone to having issues than the N55 in the later models. That being said they aren't horrible. But things such as turbo waste gates and HPFP's go bad. Also if you find a low Milage or a high Milage one then you may run into the issues of a water pump failure. (They fail at a young age). Then you have other BMW stupid stuff like bad window regulators and whatever random issue decides to pop up. All I'm saying is don't be naive. You'll love the car but make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. ANY BMW is expensive after its warranty expires but the n54 is a little worse than normal. I noticed you said you make 1600 or 1800 bi weekly but you're also ignoring insurance and gas and it seems like you plan to mod. If you do plan to mod there's other things to consider such as how long the stock parts will last depending on the kind of boost you plan to push.

so if your budget is 15 then you most likely will be ending up with a 2008-2009 335 (unless prices changed since my last search). Google issues with the N54 engine. (That section of the forum has much more info than I do on the matter) then make your decision from there. You're 18 and you have your whole life to mess with cars. Turbo engines are the norm now so you will have plenty of time to mod 335's and m3/4's. A 328 is a solid option for an 18 year old. Spend the money on some wheels and a drop and enjoy a good looking car until your second car when you can have more fun with it.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The N54 engine in the earlier 335's are more prone to having issues than the N55 in the later models. That being said they aren't horrible. But things such as turbo waste gates and HPFP's go bad. Also if you find a low Milage or a high Milage one then you may run into the issues of a water pump failure. (They fail at a young age). Then you have other BMW stupid stuff like bad window regulators and whatever random issue decides to pop up. All I'm saying is don't be naive. You'll love the car but make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. ANY BMW is expensive after its warranty expires but the n54 is a little worse than normal. I noticed you said you make 1600 or 1800 bi weekly but you're also ignoring insurance and gas and it seems like you plan to mod. If you do plan to mod there's other things to consider such as how long the stock parts will last depending on the kind of boost you plan to push.

so if your budget is 15 then you most likely will be ending up with a 2008-2009 335 (unless prices changed since my last search). Google issues with the N54 engine. (That section of the forum has much more info than I do on the matter) then make your decision from there. You're 18 and you have your whole life to mess with cars. Turbo engines are the norm now so you will have plenty of time to mod 335's and m3/4's. A 328 is a solid option for an 18 year old. Spend the money on some wheels and a drop and enjoy a good looking car until your second car when you can have more fun with it.

Good luck

Thanks for the explanation.

Insurance is 1300$ for a year. Gas I have no idea but should be able to afford it.

Is there really that much of a difference between the 335i and 328i? Also another reason why I want 335i is RWD. All the 328i I find are AWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #29
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Good luck
Also regarding modding, I don't want to add turbos or anything bigger, just a plug n play HP boost is all I'm looking at.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #30
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck

Thanks for the explanation.

Insurance is 1300$ for a year. Gas I have no idea but should be able to afford it.

Is there really that much of a difference between the 335i and 328i? Also another reason why I want 335i is RWD. All the 328i I find are AWD.
The difference how? In issues? Somewhat yes. I have a 328 and in my 4 years of ownership I've had maybe $2500 in repairs (not bad at all). I know 335 owners who sold it because of repair costs. Also if you're doing the work yourself it's cheaper but I don't know your situation.

Power? Yeah I'd say so. Ran into some e90/2's on the highway once just goofing around and the 335's pulled pretty good on me. It wasn't absolutely insane but it was definitely a lot. And they can mod where as I really can't.

My 328 is rwd. Rwd is better in my opinion as it really captures the essence of what BMW designed the car for. AWD raises the ride height and makes the car a little softer. My advice here is no matter which route you go be it the 328 or the 335, go rwd.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #31
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck
Also regarding modding, I don't want to add turbos or anything bigger, just a plug n play HP boost is all I'm looking at.
The N54 is the perfect engine to make more power on stock components. You won't have any issues plugging in a JB4 tune with everything stock you'll make good numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #32
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Ok you make $800 a week
Live with the parents
Have no real bills
Have $25k ready to go

Put the $25k on the M4 finance the rest and make the payments. Then spend the rest of your time focusing on getting your dick sucked, like a young gentleman at your age should be doing.

Last edited by Delta0311; 06-08-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #33
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The difference how? In issues? Somewhat yes. I have a 328 and in my 4 years of ownership I've had maybe $2500 in repairs (not bad at all). I know 335 owners who sold it because of repair costs. Also if you're doing the work yourself it's cheaper but I don't know your situation.

Power? Yeah I'd say so. Ran into some e90/2's on the highway once just goofing around and the 335's pulled pretty good on me. It wasn't absolutely insane but it was definitely a lot. And they can mod where as I really can't.

My 328 is rwd. Rwd is better in my opinion as it really captures the essence of what BMW designed the car for. AWD raises the ride height and makes the car a little softer. My advice here is no matter which route you go be it the 328 or the 335, go rwd.
Yes I do plan to DIY everything I feasibly can on my car. I have some mechanical knowledge from watching DIYs and such. Nothing from studies but more of general reading around.

Yes I am definitely going RWD. Pretty much every fancier cars I want in the future are RWD, might aswell get used to it now!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #34
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The N54 is the perfect engine to make more power on stock components. You won't have any issues plugging in a JB4 tune with everything stock you'll make good numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Ok you make $800 a week
Live with the parents
Have no real bills
Have $25k ready to go

Put the $25k on the M4 fiance the rest and make the payments. Then spend the rest of your time focusing on getting your dick sucked, like a young gentleman at your age should be doing.

A used M4 is around 75K. That's to much. And I'm leaning more and more towards a C7 Corvette. A brand new one is 77K the way I like it configured. Why get a used M4 if I can get more attention in another car that is new.

But I can't afford something like that now. I want a less expensive car I can get that is nice to lower my insurance cost, right now insurance on a new C7 is 3k. Driving another car will lower that when I come to buy it in the next ~ 8 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #35
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
A used M4 is around 75K. That's to much. And I'm leaning more and more towards a C7 Corvette. A brand new one is 77K the way I like it configured. Why get a used M4 if I can get more attention in another car that is new.

But I can't afford something like that now. I want a less expensive car I can get that is nice to lower my insurance cost, right now insurance on a new C7 is 3k. Driving another car will lower that when I come to buy it in the next ~ 8 months.
So why not just:
1. buy a cheap beater
2. SAVE like crazy for 8-12 months and get something you really like.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #36
Centmaker
Banned
Rep
Drives: 06' Red 325i

Yeah get a beater. My prelci 325i was only 6800 and it breaks necks and gets compliments all day. And it pulls b*#$%s all day. With stock rims and run flats car acceleration kind of sucked off the line. Then I got some ec7s on conti dw and now the car feels super fast. I never thought the difference was that noticeable but it's night and day. If you have 15k you should find a clean 06-07 n54 (forged internals) and get some light weight wheels (2200-3000k) and save the rest for maintenance or do preventative stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by Centmaker; 06-08-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #37
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Thank you for this thread. I needed a good laugh today.

I still can't figure out exactly what it is that you're trying to do so I say go find a 1 owner, low mile, clean carfax 335is and call it a day. You can even thank me later.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #38
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So why not just:
1. buy a cheap beater
2. SAVE like crazy for 8-12 months and get something you really like.
Because I can afford a car like this and still save for something more fancier.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #39
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the storm breaks View Post
Thank you for this thread. I needed a good laugh today.

I still can't figure out exactly what it is that you're trying to do so I say go find a 1 owner, low mile, clean carfax 335is and call it a day. You can even thank me later.
What's so funny. I feel offended
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #40
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Because I can afford a car like this and still save for something more fancier.
A used N54 will be a headache and finding one with low mileage will not be that easy. Get a M235, used, with under 15k miles and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #41
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
A used N54 will be a headache and finding one with low mileage will not be that easy. Get a M235, used, with under 15k miles and call it a day.
I don't need this car to go work day to day either, if that can help. It can stay in the garage and I come from work and pass all night on the car, I just love fixin stuff to! Working on my dad's car was great fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #42
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centmaker
Yeah get a beater. My prelci 325i was only 6800 and it breaks necks and gets compliments all day. And it pulls b*#$%s all day. With stock rims and run flats car acceleration kind of sucked off the line. Then I got some ec7s on conti dw and now the car feels super fast. I never thought the difference was that noticeable but it's night and day. If you have 15k you should find a clean 06-07 n54 (forged internals) and get some light weight wheels (2200-3000k) and save the rest for maintenance or do preventative stuff.
Same color as I have! Crimson red FTW!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #43
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the storm breaks View Post
Lol, don't be. I just always get a kick out of these types of threads, not so much your comments specifically. Strange sense of humor.

Sounds like you're in a much better place than I was at 18. Enjoy it
Ha ha

Yes I am very lucky to be working for the govt young like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #44
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Get 335 is.......hopefully a low mileage one and get a PPI on it.
Plug and play ready...boost and sexy looks.
Plus save for those repairs as they will cost you.
GL OP
Appreciate 0