E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328 SSK p/n 25110430359 installed

04-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
mack82097
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

328 SSK p/n 25110430359 installed

I installed the 328 specific SSK last night, and it's a good news/bad new situation.

The good news is that the shifts are shorter because the pivot ball is higher up on the the end of the lever. I like the feel now. The bad news is that the new lever is longer overall than the OEM one! My shifter is now longer than before even though the shift distance is shorter. I odered kit # 25110430359.

Any other 328 owners install the same kit and find the same problem?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

I just have the actual shifter lever on order and should be here by next week, I can let you know then
      04-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
triton.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Fit

Garage List
2009 FIT  [2.00]
Shifter valve fromt he SSK is shorter, but not by much. The pivot point is higher up though too. When installed the shifter should be sitting about half in inch lower. Sounds like something is wrong. Are you sure the shifter is properly snapped into place?

My E90 OEM Front/Side Bumpers for Sale -Here
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
mack82097
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
I think the "short shifter" mechanism is a function of how far you need to throw to change gears, not how high the stick is. In this sense, it's a misnomer. BMW has the cockpit arranged for optimal driver position in relation to his seat, the wheel and the stick.

Indeed, the short shifting is a reference to distance required to change gears. It is just that all the other SSK threads resulted in a shifter that sat lower as well. I have ensured that the pivot ball is fully seated, but it still sits higher than the OEM one.

In driving with the SSK installed for a few days, it seems that although it's higher, the position seems to be more natural. I suppose BMW thought this one out.

I'd be curious to find out if anyone else had the same findings when installing the 328 specific SSK.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
mack82097
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton. View Post
Shifter valve fromt he SSK is shorter, but not by much. The pivot point is higher up though too. When installed the shifter should be sitting about half in inch lower. Sounds like something is wrong. Are you sure the shifter is properly snapped into place?

Which SSK did you install? When laid side by side, the original lever was shorter than the SSK lever. I initially thought the wrong lever was included in the kit, but checking the p/n with Tischer showed that it was indeed the correct part. The SSK lever's pivot point is higher, but it's also about 1/2" longer overall than the original lever.

Either way, I like the shift action of this new lever.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
mack82097
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
Is it possible to affix the ///M short shift knob to the OEM short shift kit? For that matter, can you put any know on the SSK or only the one they give you?

Also, some people complained the SSK sits at a weird angle; like it can look like it's in 3rd when in neutral or something to that effect. Are you experiencing this or is yours perfect?
If it sits at a weird angle then it was installed backwards. Mine sits perfectly centered in neutral.

I have the ///M perforated shift knob and boot in my car with the SSK. You can use any BMW knob, it's up to you if you want to spend the $$ for another one. Oddly enough, the ///M boot has no slack in it whatsoever when I'm in 6th gear, whereas when I was using the original lever there was plenty of slack. Since I purchased the whole kit and not just the lever, I initially removed my ///M boot and knob and used the knob and boot that comes with the kit. There's NO way that the boot will work with the SSK because it's just no slack whatsoever. Putting the car into 6th gear had the boot almost pulling itself out of the console. I of course went back to using the M boot/knob.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
mack82097
Private First Class
Rep

I couldn't leave well enough alone, and so I swapped out the 328-specific SSL for the 330 SSL. It's $60 at Tischer. The 330 lever is shorter overall and I like it even though it's notchier than the either original lever or the 328 SSL.

I'll be posting the 328 SSK (p/n 25110430359), less the cup and clip, in the for sale section.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
jbimmer3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack82097 View Post
If it sits at a weird angle then it was installed backwards. Mine sits perfectly centered in neutral.

I have the ///M perforated shift knob and boot in my car with the SSK. You can use any BMW knob, it's up to you if you want to spend the $$ for another one. Oddly enough, the ///M boot has no slack in it whatsoever when I'm in 6th gear, whereas when I was using the original lever there was plenty of slack. Since I purchased the whole kit and not just the lever, I initially removed my ///M boot and knob and used the knob and boot that comes with the kit. There's NO way that the boot will work with the SSK because it's just no slack whatsoever. Putting the car into 6th gear had the boot almost pulling itself out of the console. I of course went back to using the M boot/knob.

I have the SSK knob, boot lever combo. If you are in 6th gear and it is pulling the boot, something is wrong. It's gotta be backwards. Mine works fine and my boot still has slack.

Car pics HERE
Appreciate 0