E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Impressions - BMW Service Centers around Boston.

07-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Impressions - BMW Service Centers around Boston.

I would like to start a thread about how bad the BMW Service is in MA. I couldn’t find a single decent one . Here is what I went through so far:
“BMW Wagner Certified Repair Center” or rather “certified incompetents” here is the original thread : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709050. Again, Certified Incompetent Hacks. DO NOT GO THERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
“HERB CHAMBERS of Boston”: I haven’t been there in years. My first visit left a huge scratch on my brand new 2006 330i sedan / on the front wheel . The visit was scheduled for an oil change after the first ~3000 miles (paid from my own pocket). Other than the scratch the engine area seemed untouched and I had the feeling they didn’t drain the old oil. To clear my suspicions, I bought new oil and filter and the next morning I went to a small repair shop I know the owner. They drained the oil in front of me, it was black like hell. The engine was immediately smoother after the real oil change that followed.
“ BMW of PEABODY”. I went there following the recommendations from this site. It is also close to work. Didn’t buy the car there and they made it clear each time I will not get a loaner. I didn’t really need one either. For each issue you have to pay them 2 -3 visits because you need to raise a complaint with the main mechanic to have something properly fixed.
My last visit was a total disaster. This time I had to leave the car with them for a couple of days for the HPFP recall. I got it back with ~27 miles more. In the days the car was in their possession rained a lot. It seems they drove my car (God knows where) with the moon roof open. I cannot describe the shit that was inside …they left black marks, sand and stains on the beige floor covering everywhere in the front as well as in the back ( I am not talking about the mats you can replace or clean). This is a 335 coupe and managed to brush their dirty wet feet from everything in the relative small space. I cannot describe how dirty the beige leather was. I spent ~3 hours to clean it up. I noticed immediately the leather had a big scratch on the back seat, seat never used. I still couldn’t get rid of stains.
About the work: after 4 days the car was with them they start working on the car after I show up. It was pathetic. The repairs were not satisfactory and I had to come back a week later. This time I choose to stay and wait. It took them 5 hours to do the repair . After ~ 4 hours I went to check through the window …the car was nowhere to be found….40 min go by...nothing…then I go to the rep he replies “ I will go and get the car for you…” he came 10 min later from somewhere from the back parking lot. The gas tank fuel door was left open…The car had new stains and marks inside and a big dent on the side skirt. I showed them the damage and they replied “ It was already there”. Worse, the car doesn’t feel right since then, somehow sluggish.
If you go there make sure you inspect the car with the rep before signing anything.Let them know you noted the mileage and bring your own covers for seats and everything else.

Last edited by RMG; 07-12-2012 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG View Post
I would like to start a thread about how bad the BMW Service in MA. I couldn’t find a single decent one . Here is what I went through so far:
“BMW Wagner Certified Repair Center” or rather “certified incompetents” here is the original thread : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709050. Again, Certified Incompetent Hacks. DO NOT GO THERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
“HERB CHAMBERS of Boston”: I haven’t been there in years. My first visit left a huge scratch on my brand new 2006 330i sedan / on the front wheel . The visit was scheduled for an oil change after the first ~3000 miles (paid from my own pocket). Other than the scratch the engine area seemed untouched and I had the feeling they didn’t drain the old oil. To clear my suspicions, I bought new oil and filter and the next morning I went to a small repair shop I know the owner. They drained the oil in front of me, it was black like hell. The engine was immediately smoother after the real oil change that followed.
“ BMW of PEABODY”. I went there following the recommendations from this site. It is also close to work. Didn’t buy the car there and they made it clear each time I will not get a loaner. I didn’t really need one either. For each issue you have to pay them 2 -3 visits because you need to raise a complaint with the main mechanic to have something properly fixed.
My last visit was a total disaster. This time I had to leave the car with them for a couple of days for the HPFP recall. I got it back with ~27 miles more. In the days the car was in their possession rained a lot. It seems they drove my car (God knows where) with the moon roof open. I cannot describe the shit that was inside …they left black marks, sand and stains on the beige floor covering everywhere in the front as well as in the back ( I am not talking about the mats you can replace or clean). This is a 335 coupe and managed to brush their dirty wet feet from everything in the relative small space. I cannot describe how dirty the beige leather was. I spent ~3 hours to clean it up. I noticed immediately the leather had a big scratch on the back seat, seat never used. I still couldn’t get rid of stains.
About the work: after 4 days the car was with them they start working on the car after I show up. It was pathetic. The repairs were not satisfactory and I had to come back a week later. This time I choose to stay and wait. It took them 5 hours to do the repair . After ~ 4 hours I went to check through the window …the car was nowhere to be found….40 min go by...nothing…then I go to the rep he replies “ I will go and get the car for you…” he came 10 min later from somewhere from the back parking lot. The gas tank fuel door was left open…The car had new stains and marks inside and a big dent on the side skirt. I showed them the damage and they replied “ It was already there”. Worse, the car doesn’t feel right since then, somehow sluggish.
If you go there make sure you inspect the car with the rep before signing anything.Let them know you noted the mileage and bring your own covers for seats and everything else.
Damn man that sucks. I bought my first BMW couple months ago and the service time is coming up. This scares the hell out of me. I wonder if there are any better ones in NH or Main maybe. I don't mind driving up there if it's going to get it done right.

Anyone else has suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
plarkin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [9.50]
I realize it's not in Boston, but BMW of Newport is pretty good! I used them as my service center for my 330Xi because they were close and NOT owned by Penske, then decided to purchase my 335 from them due to their excellent service.

No complaints with them at all.
      07-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Damn, I am getting close for my service. I have been using Mini of Peabody for the MINI and the service is decent. I was planning to use BMW of Peabody for my car. Although I bought the car from HC I don't want to see them ever again.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Damn... Did you go to the Centennial Drive service center or the one on 114? I've been going to the Centennial Drive center and haven't had any issues aside from the time they washed the car when I asked it not to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

...114. I didn't try Centennial yet. I am not planning going there anytime soon.
BMW ..great cars. BMW Service Centers ... incompetents or worse. BMW of North America ...useless.
From now on I will only lease. There is no way to keep your car clean and in a decent condition. Each service visit leaves scars; there is no way you can stop them abusing the car (intentionally or not). They ruined mine in less than 3 years.
They all seem to use our cars to get to and from work while in for service. If your car is with them during the weekend I bet you might find their families and friends driving it around ( I found feet marks on the back of my seat and I don't have kids). I heard that the Service can/ will reset your mileage if they want, it is relatively easy.

Last edited by RMG; 07-12-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
...114. I didn't try Centennial yet. I am not planning going there anytime soon.
BMW ..great cars. BMW Service Centers ... incompetents or worse. BMW of North America ...useless.
From now on I will only lease. There is no way to keep your car clean and in a decent condition. Each service visit leaves scars; there is no way you can stop them abusing the car (intentionally or not). They ruined mine in less than 3 years.
They all seem to use our cars to get to and from work while in for service. If your car is with them during the weekend I bet you might find their families and friends driving it around ( I found feet marks on the back of my seat and I don't have kids). I heard that the Service can/ will reset your mileage if they want, it is relatively easy.
I do not think they can "roll back" the mileage on our cars, especially the newer ones.

I also wouldn't automatically assume that there were people sitting in the backseat during a long trip if there are feet marks in the rear seats. Service techs can go back there if they want to properly diagnose a noise or something along that matter.
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arustik1 View Post
I do not think they can "roll back" the mileage on our cars, especially the newer ones.

I also wouldn't automatically assume that there were people sitting in the backseat during a long trip if there are feet marks in the rear seats. Service techs can go back there if they want to properly diagnose a noise or something along that matter.
...yep, they "diagnosed" the car for 27 miles.
I believe "rolling back" mileage is a felony. The subject was widely discussed in several german car magazines, they did a little survey on the subject. It is risky but can be done quite easily and it's difficult to prove.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Subimatt
Rep
Drives: 20' 330xi M Sport

Garage List
1991 BMW 318i  [0.00]
2007 BMW X3 3.0si  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I have had a good experience so far at BMW Gallery in Norwell. Not sure how far it is for you but everyone there has been great. I have not tried the Norwood location for service.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Damn now I am getting to worry about my service. For sure BMW remote app will be on and I will make sure to know where my car is all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
E90guyinRi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarkin
I realize it's not in Boston, but BMW of Newport is pretty good! I used them as my service center for my 330Xi because they were close and NOT owned by Penske, then decided to purchase my 335 from them due to their excellent service.

No complaints with them at all.
+1 purchased and serviced all the way through the extended warranty.

My car was in a very bad accident and inskip in Warwick did a great job.

What about Turner Motorsport?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
e60_M5_2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MB C Class

Quote:
I like to think when I leave my car overnight for service, it's helping some young tech get some ass. If it takes him 27 miles to seal the deal, so be it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
I have been getting all my service and warranty work done at Peabody. I asked for loaner couple of times and I hear same reason I didnt buy from them so no loaner. They have treated my car well so their loaner policy didnt bother me much. I only go to their dedicated service facility. And so far I have not seen more than 3 miles on my odo. I am going in for recall on Monday hopefully my view doesnt change. This time they decided to give me a loaner too
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
i have to agree on Peabody, they are nice but things never get fix

seems like i have to complain at least 3 times for every issue
i had to pay out of pocket after warranty for a new steering column which Peabody never changed when this was a well kown issue

they dont pay their well experience techs enough so they all leave and start up their own shop.... all there are left are these young ppl from auto tech schools

Last edited by ska///235i; 07-13-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi, '18 X1, '21 M2C

Garage List
3D Autoworks in Hudson, NH does a great job. They stand by their work for parts and labor. As a bonus, my car comes back cleaner (washed) after each service than the dealership does
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Damn now I am getting to worry about my service. For sure BMW remote app will be on and I will make sure to know where my car is all the time.
...the remote app doesn't work if you are more than a mile away from the vehicle "for privacy reasons". I don't understand what #@*&^% "privacy" they try protect, it's my car ..

Last edited by RMG; 07-13-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
I have been getting all my service and warranty work done at Peabody. I asked for loaner couple of times and I hear same reason I didnt buy from them so no loaner. They have treated my car well so their loaner policy didnt bother me much. I only go to their dedicated service facility. And so far I have not seen more than 3 miles on my odo. I am going in for recall on Monday hopefully my view doesnt change. This time they decided to give me a loaner too
..yup, same here. For each replaced HPFP they send a bill to BMW of NA ...I suspect they make a good profit on this, they seemed extremely eager to convince me to have them do it (loaner included, which was quite unusual). Not so determined in fixing other minor issues or to do a good job, or to be professional, or to not damage the car inside and out etc, etc...

Last edited by RMG; 07-17-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60_M5_2020 View Post
I like to think when I leave my car overnight for service, it's helping some young tech get some ass.
....If ayoung tech needs a car -any car- to "get some ass" he's plain stupid ... the work done on my car kind of confirming this.
Leaving the joke aside the BMW Service Centers owners and their employees should be thankful to BMW they have a job and should act accordingly.

Last edited by RMG; 07-17-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
George@V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

I haven't had a full service performed yet on my car, but I can speak very highly of the service advisers (Jeremy and Keith) at Tulley BMW in Nashua, NH. I've met them both and spoken at length to them about N54 engines, etc, and both are very knowledgeable.

I'm looking forward to my first service experience with them later this year. Nashua is really not far from Boston, and you can save some $$ on sales tax too
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I go to BMW Sudbury for this exact reason! Everywhere else sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

I know everyone has different experiences with different dealerships but it seems a common occurrence are sub-optimal encounters with Herb Chambers and Gallery of Norwood (including my own experience).
I've been visiting Tulley in Nashua/NH and Manchester/NH (new location) and they have always gone out of their way to fix things and provide excellent service.
Their techs are (mostly) enthusiasts too and have always treated my cars with great respect.
I think it's worth the drive for folks.
As for loaners I think it's one of the benefits customers can expect if they bought the car at the dealer.
Contrary to popular believe there's not a huge profit for dealer in selling a new car and by pinching pennies in buying the car from another dealer for xxx$ less is in my opinion not worth it in the long run.
We all need to make a living. When buying a new car I figure splitting the profit by 50/50 is a fair approach for both sides.

- Jan
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Hadley
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by George@V View Post
I haven't had a full service performed yet on my car, but I can speak very highly of the service advisers (Jeremy and Keith) at Tulley BMW in Nashua, NH. I've met them both and spoken at length to them about N54 engines, etc, and both are very knowledgeable.

I'm looking forward to my first service experience with them later this year. Nashua is really not far from Boston, and you can save some $$ on sales tax too
I dealt with Keith over the weekend, and he was great to deal with. He isn't even my appointed rep! I usually take my car in on Saturdays if it's just routine service, and I've dealt with him both times at Tulley

I believe he just got an E90, I told him to join the boards
Appreciate 0