E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > JetBlack-Need HELP/Suggestions....

08-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #23
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
... and wash them inbetween uses to ensure no dust particles in the fibers!
That's key to any MF, and something I don't think everyone realizes. They use static to attract dust/dirt. I wash mine after every use (make sure to wash the MF's seperate from anything else), tumble dry on "delicate", then put them in Zip-Loc freezer bags to keep them clean till I use them again.
      08-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #24
BMW335PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
After about 5 min of it on the car it starts to scratch so be sure to rotate the towels and not use em for more thaan a couple minutes at a time
Sounds like you'd need a bunch of these towels if you can only use them for 5 min. You would never get all the water off with one towel that quick.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

2006 325i: JetBlack/Terra/Burl, Prem, Sport, Cold, Xenon, I-Drive/Nav., Alarm. - DECEASED (totaled by 19yo driver)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #25
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW325
Sounds like you'd need a bunch of these towels if you can only use them for 5 min. You would never get all the water off with one towel that quick.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
no your completly understanding me!! it takes alot of MF towels to dry my car properly with no scratches! Thats why I use the ABSORBER I can high pressure nozzle it completly spotless and it comes completly clean and they come in such bright colors u see anything thats on it so u know when to blast off the dirt with the hose and ring it out and dry again...I do use the viking MF towels for the excees water drips and inside door paneling etc!
      08-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #26
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsebrklyn
well for one the swirls arent going to go away untill they are machine polished. There are way to hid them but they need to be manually removed. I like what everyone has to say except this "absorber!". I wouldnt be caught dead using one of those.

Some might ask why no to the "absorber" its simple there is nothing plush to the fibers or the suface of the towel. The dirt / particles will stay directly on the surface of the towel and drag across the paint! No thanks.

From experience, the absorber is good when new, but it prone to collecting dirt and particles which can then scratch your clearcoat. Part of the problem is that you need to press it against the car for best results.

Stick to deionised water for best results.
      04-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #27
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster View Post
Stick to deionised water for best results.
My hose doesn't put out deionized water. Your's does?

Last edited by DrDomer; 04-15-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #28
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The Mr. Clean cleaning system works pretty well to avoid waterspots.
      04-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #29
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
the thread is back from the dead!!

Ive bought me some cobra and pakshak mf towels and damb i have to say im impressed with these towels!! I go over the car after the absorber cuase i dont like pushing the absorber on my paint so it leaves water spots etc..
going over the car with the mf towel after i use the absorber really brings out the shine with no spots etc.
      04-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #30
hands on
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe, Titanium/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
well a couple things your doing wrong already! NEVER wash a BLACK car in the sun! no matter how hot or early in the day it is! I always wait till the end of the day about 630 or so when my driveway is completly in the shade..U need to keep your car in the garage to cool the paint before you wash it too!
my car is always in the garage so no worries for me..I just pull it out of the garage making sure it never sees the sun and start washing:
1. buy 2 wash mits
2. use the 2 bucket method
3. buy what is called the "absorber!"
4. wash your car with the mits as instructed in the tutorial
5. Dry your car with the absorber and NOTHING ELSE..
6. NEVER Touch the paint with anything but the absorber or your wash mitts and your swirls will be very minimal if any
This is my method on my JET BLACK car so YES it works
This is the correct way to handle jet black...I used this method on my 00 328ci and never had swirls...I also always finished my car wash with a coat of liquid wax shot through my water compressor, made her shine like a gem!
The secret is to never touch your paint, use touchless car washes between hand Jobs...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #31
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
An extract from somwwhere, quite good

SWIRL MARKS

A buffer in the hands of a pro can do wonders on a car that has heavy oxidation or minor scratches. Most body shops can use a buffer to blend touch-ups to perfection. Unfortunately, many detail shops and buffer owners don't know how to use the tool, or they use the wrong buffing pads or compounds.

Swirl marks are nothing more than micro-marring in the paint surface. Under a microscope they appear to be a scratch; however, you cannot feel the scratch with your fingers or finger nail.

The reason swirl marks and other micro marring show up so prominently on black and other dark colors is because the sides of the marring reflect light. When you polish, the edges are rounded and reduce reflection.
This diagram shows what severe micro marring might look like in a cross section of paint.

Incorrect use of a buffer or polisher is not the only cause of swirl marks. Every time you wash or wipe down your car you create micro-marring. The severity of the micro-marring depends on your tools and the contaminants present.

The most noticeable area for swirl marks is the hood and trunk. On dark-colored cars, they might also show up on the doors and fenders. Bright colors do not show swirl marks as well because they reflect more light. That doesn't mean they don't get swirl marks, they just show up more readily on dark colors. Black, of course, is the worst of all colors for displaying swirls and other imperfections.

10 most frequent causes of micro-marring (swirl marks):
  • Polishers/buffers with the incorrect pad or an untrained operator;
  • Harsh polishing compounds and paint cleaners;
  • Towels and applicators containing polyester threads;
  • A dirty chamois or a chamois that has not been properly maintained;
  • Wiping down a dusty or dirty car with a dry towel;
  • A dirty car duster or a car duster used on a car with too much dirt on the surface;
  • Not keeping your wash mitt or sponge properly rinsed;
  • Automated car washes with brushes and other wipers;
  • Not rinsing your car completely before washing, or not washing your car thoroughly before drying; and
  • Using a car cover when the car or the cover is not clean.
Attached Images

BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 10:24 PM   #32
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands on View Post
This is the correct way to handle jet black...I used this method on my 00 328ci and never had swirls...I also always finished my car wash with a coat of liquid wax shot through my water compressor, made her shine like a gem!
The secret is to never touch your paint, use touchless car washes between hand Jobs...

OMG, I just laughed my ass off at the "touchless car washes between hand jobs" comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The swirl issue is the #2 reason I went with BS instead of JB. The number 1 reason was I loved the metallic in the black. My thinking was that BS is slightly less of a pain in the ass than JB, so might as well go for it. Plus I really liked the look.

That first wash/detail (NOT at the dealership before delivery...) is going to be pure joy!