E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Megan Racing Coilovers

07-25-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
turbologist
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Megan Racing Coilovers

Has anyone had any experience with these coilovers from Megan Racing on an E90? Theyre well received with the Import crowd but I never heard anyone having these on their E9x...

Street price for the set is about $875...

Taken from Megan's Site:

BMW 06+ E90/E92 3-series
Model Number : MR-CDK-E90
The Street LP Series is our new Luxury Package, using similar specs & set up design as Street Series, (not too aggressive) offering spring rates for a more comfortable ride, but still giving you the sporty feel & control.

Megan Racing Coil-Over Dampers are the ultimate upgrade to your track or street car. Featuring 32 Levels of damper force adjustment, full-height adjustment, these damper kits are then perfectly matched with front and rear Pillow Ball upper mounts for camber correction in most applications.

The adjustment of the damper is as simple as can be with a built-in knob at the top of the damper mount for easy access. Simple adjustments can be made to tune to your style of driving and comfort level desired. Single-Adjustable dampers make suspension adjustments easy to tune whether you’re a professional mechanic or an automotive enthusiast with amateur mechanical skills.

The height adjustment is made easy with CNC-Machined locking perches for accuracy and smooth adjustment. You can raise your car up to factory height for OEM appearance with performance handling or you can drop your car all the way down for a formal racetrack and an aggressive stance lowering your center of gravity to gain full potential of your car’s handling capabilities.

On most applications, the Megan Racing Damper Kits come with fully adjustable Pillow-Ball upper mounts to easily tune and adjust your camber. Adjustable camber gives you an edge on most suspension setups, as you can easily tune your car for any ride height which improves handling, predictability and furthermore tire wear, which is a great benefit both on the racetrack and on the street.

The quality and durability of the Megan Racing Damper kits are unmatched. Made of extremely durable Steel and featuring springs that are constructed of SAE-9254 Cold-Wound Steel which are then tested over 500,000 times by compression inspection. With deformation less than 5% and high strength sophisticated surface coating, we stand by our product with our strong warranty.

- Spring Rates - 7kg Front / 11kg Rear

- 32 Levels of Adjustable Damper

- Rubber Upper Mounts.

- Rubber Dust Covers.

- Adjustable Ride Height

- Aggressive Spring Rates

- Single-Cylinder Design

- Aluminum Brackets

32 Levels of Adjustment:

1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use.
17-32: Suggested for common street use.

- All coilover damper kits come with 1 Year manufacture-defect warranty.

- All Hardware is Included

MSRP $1050.00

http://www.meganracing.com/products/...=933&catid=132
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

They had a lot of rattling problems before, and I've heard mixed stories of the problem being corrected/not corrected.
      07-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

they are known as decent low-budget coilovers. Probably not terrible, but not something to write home about either. In the japanese import scene, there are about 10-15 companies that offer low-budget coilovers (including megan), and they are all pretty much the same exact parts painted a different color.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
turbologist
Emperor
United_States
Rep

The consensus seems to be that the JDM crowd is pleased with the product...

I know that they are low budget coilovers and dont expect much out of them... They will be used for the street and they should be better than a non adjustable spring shock combo for the same money...

As far as warranty is concerned, I've heard KW and how bad they are about honoring the warranty so I dont have much faith in manufacturers standing behind their products...

I wonder why no one has run this setup... I suppose everyone wants to keep the German theme...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
mike-y
United_States
Rep

a friend of mine has had them on his STI for about a year and a half. I'll see him at the track on friday and ask them how they've held up. honestly, for the price they look pretty decent.

The only "issue" I have with those types of coilovers (I used to have tiens on an EG civic) was the "32 levels" of adjustments wasn't really accurate. What I mean, is that the amount of stiffness that is dialed into each click isn't consistant throughout the range of adjustment. This is typical with a needle valve adjuster, which is common on these types of coilovers.

btw, i used to also have a DC2. probably the best car i've had so far, for an all around good at everything type of car. sold it at 265,000 miles to a friend of mine that still commutes to work in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
turbologist
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Nice Mikey... Keep me posted as to what your buddy says about his Megans... Im really leaning towards giving them a shot... Ive been looking for a decently price set of coilovers and these seem to be the best so far... I dont care about the 32way adjustablilty either but as long as I can adjust it to a comfortable setting for the street, I doubt Ill adjust them again... Which Im sure goes for the majority of users here...

My DC2 I have right now is making a bit over 700whp but I made some more changes this year and haven't dyno'd it since but I know I should be well over 800 now... Its definitely a rush that nothing can compare to...

What sort of racing do you do with your Civic?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
turbologist
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Any more info?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
mike-y
United_States
Rep

sorry about that. here's what he has to say about them on his STI. He also has a Tundra, so I don't think he drives the STI every day, so keep that in mind:

Quote:
Ya I got the megan racing, 10k 8k springs,, great for track, ruff street ride. They have lasted good. For the money you cant go wrong. I know some other brands that are similar for the $, JIC etc. but I would say for the money megans are good. Ive had mine for over 3 years and they are just now starting to need to be replaced. The only real thing I can see is the housing is starting to collapse under the height adjusting ring. But that from really torqueing it down all these years.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

My friends has a megan coilover on his TL, and it seems to be working great for him. No problem at all, and they can go really really low. Plus they are really popular in the clublexus forums because of how low they can get and at such an affordable price.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
GdUp4RmFtUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VQ35

They are very good coilovers for the price

EURO-SPEC.NET FTW
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I had them on my old Evo. No complaints.
      03-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep
Drives: 12 AW E70 X5d

don't do it for performance... generic china/taiwan coilovers... not really tuned for your car. If its just for show...they are ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I've had them on my EVO & a few past DSM's but I've never tried them on a BMW platform.

Can't imagine they'd be terrible but I'd prob stick KW's or PSS10's
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Yikes.

I can't even get a set of quality struts and shocks for less than $1,400 new. How does ANYONE offer a "quality" coil over kit for $1,000?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
GdUp4RmFtUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Keep in mind BMW parts are marked up a ton due to the value of the car...

EURO-SPEC.NET FTW
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GdUp4RmFtUp View Post
Keep in mind BMW parts are marked up a ton due to the value of the car...
FACT.

You can get a budget kit for less than $1k but you're not going to find anything track worthy for that price.

Then again most people who purchase coil overs will never see the track and just want something a bit better for daily driving and height adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
GdUp4RmFtUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
FACT.

You can get a budget kit for less than $1k but you're not going to find anything track worthy for that price.

Then again most people who purchase coil overs will never see the track and just want something a bit better for daily driving and height adjustment.

Very true

EURO-SPEC.NET FTW
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
turbologist
Emperor
United_States
Rep

I ended up with the Silverline X's and cant be happier... I couldn't get myself to be the guinea pig for the Megans...

I know that they have done quite well with S2s and such but wasn't sure how much R&D was done with the BMW chassis so I erred on the side of caution...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
mike-y
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Yikes.

I can't even get a set of quality struts and shocks for less than $1,400 new. How does ANYONE offer a "quality" coil over kit for $1,000?
KONI Adjustable Front and Rear Shocks/Struts for BMW E90/E92: $699. Or do you not consider the koni sports to be a good shock/strut?.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #20
caliban
Private
Rep
Drives: BUS

I am helping a friend to install his Megan Racing Coilovers next weekend (on E93), will let you guys know how everything goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliban View Post
I am helping a friend to install his Megan Racing Coilovers next weekend (on E93), will let you guys know how everything goes.
Updates?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #22
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiedds View Post
don't do it for performance... generic china/taiwan coilovers... not really tuned for your car. If its just for show...they are ok.
comments like this make me wonder about some people

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0