E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > How many of you would buy a Supra Replacement if it came out?

View Poll Results: Would you buy the Toyota Supra Successor?
Yes! 6 20.00%
No! 9 30.00%
Hmmm, I'd have to think about it. 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

12-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

How many of you would buy a Supra Replacement if it came out?

How many people would actually buy a Supra successor if it were to be released? I read an article recently that said Toyota is actually thinking of bringing two cars like the GT-86. The GT-86 would be the middle child while the Supra replacement would be the top and a lower offering then the GT would also be coming. So, would you buy one?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

That's a lot of unknowns. If it followed the 86 mantra of less weight with adequate power with a specific focus on handling, I'd certainly be intrigued. If they continue to hit their products with the ugly stick (86, LFA and new GS-F) than I'd probably lose any initial interest.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
That's a lot of unknowns. If it followed the 86 mantra of less weight with adequate power with a specific focus on handling, I'd certainly be intrigued. If they continue to hit their products with the ugly stick (86, LFA and new GS-F) than I'd probably lose any initial interest.
You really think the GS-F is ugly? I thought it was one of Lexus' best designs to date. Not a fan of the rear end on the 86.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

The only thing that really got me with the Supra was its bullet-proof engine block. I actually never thought the car looked that good or had anything spectacular going for it.

With that said, if they could make an 86 minus the rear shelves and stuck another tank of an engine block in it...I'd consider it. Unfortunately, there are too many unknown factors like Red pointed out; pricing, weight, size, etc. would have to be established. Looks are always a top priority for me, and I'm not really the biggest fan of Toyo's styling despite the language and overall quality of their designs having been on a steady rise.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

I'll find the article and post it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
You really think the GS-F is ugly? I thought it was one of Lexus' best designs to date. Not a fan of the rear end on the 86.
I'm actually hugely impressed by the new GS(-F), both inside and out. It looks much better in production form. Lexus really is stepping their game up.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
The only thing that really got me with the Supra was its bullet-proof engine block. I actually never thought the car looked that good or had anything spectacular going for it.

With that said, if they could make an 86 minus the rear shelves and stuck another tank of an engine block in it...I'd consider it. Unfortunately, there are too many unknown factors like Red pointed out; pricing, weight, size, etc. would have to be established. Looks are always a top priority for me, and I'm not really the biggest fan of Toyo's styling despite the language and overall quality of their designs having been on a steady rise.
Quote:
Two more sports cars could be developed by Toyota, including a spiritual successor to its cult car, the Supra. The man responsible for the development of the company's new 86 sports car, chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, says there is room for a three-tier sports car line-up in the Toyota range, with one car sitting below the 86 and one above it.

If they were to be made, the three new sports cars would return Toyota to its former two-door glory days, when sports cars were as important to its line-up - and as iconic - as the LandCruiser.

''Right now the 86 will be a mid-size sports car,'' he told Drive through an interpreter.

Advertisement: Story continues below
''I would like to have one smaller and one larger. One would probably be a Supra follower. Nothing has been decided yet. It would [be] like a Supra successor.''

He said the car could be another joint venture with Subaru, which co-developed the 86 (or BRZ as the Subaru is known) but it would depend on the concept.

Subaru has a chequered history with two-door sports cars. The wedge-shaped Vortex of the 1980s and the chunky, expensive and oddly styled SVX struggled to find buyers in the 1990s.

Toyota's sports car history is more comprehensive, encompassing the Celica, mid-engined MR2 and flagship Supra. Each was successful but they have all been discontinued in the past decade. The Supra was an iconic sports car that Toyota produced from the late '70s to 2002. Powered by an in-line six-cylinder engine, it was popular in Australia in the early '90s - although it was discontinued here in 1993 - and fast became a favourite of car tuners.

Grey imports (sold through small importers, not Toyota dealers) were common and gave buyers access to relatively affordable, sleek-looking, high-performance sports cars. Even today the Supra is a popular coupe with enthusiasts and those looking for something different. Modified Supras can still fetch more than $30,000.

It's not yet known if any Supra successor would use the Supra nameplate. Many expected the new coupe to adopt the Celica label but Toyota instead chose to name the car loosely after the AE86 Corolla/Sprinter, which was a favourite of drift enthusiasts.

Heritage counts for plenty in the sports car world - Porsche's 911 is the most iconic, even leading to a buyer uprising when word spread of plans in the 1980s to shelve the rear-engine coupe and replace it with a more conventional front-engine V8 - but all-new models can also squeeze their way into a market segment that's more about image and branding than outright sales. The Audi TT is one example.

Toyota is trying to shake off its reputation for building dull but dependable cars and the 86 is a key part of the company's push to have cars that are ''fun to drive''.

Toyota adopted the catchphrase ''Fun to drive'' in the 1980s but discontinuing sports cars such as the Supra, Celica and MR2 has taken lustre off the brand in recent years. Under president and car enthusiast, Akio Toyoda, the company is looking to return to its sports car roots.

''Personally, I love the smell of gasoline and the sound of an engine, so I hope that this type of vehicle never disappears,'' he told the media at the Tokyo Motor Show this week.

''I hope that motor vehicles will continue to provide dreams and inspiration to people for all eras. I believe that if it is not fun, it is not a car.

''I truly believe that no matter how advanced cars become, it is important to retain this feeling.''

Tada said Toyoda was keen to have a Supra replacement if the numbers added up.
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...202-1o9pi.html
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I'm actually hugely impressed by the new GS(-F), both inside and out. It looks much better in production form. Lexus really is stepping their game up.
From the first drive review that IL posted, It's going to be a segment changer.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Yes, terrible. I like that Toyota is finally taking a small risk in styling, but an electric razor is an odd choice. I am hugely impressed with the interior of the regular GS though, that's a huge step forward. The unfortunate thing for the GS is that it's still too large compared to it's intended competition.

The previous Supra looked like a car designed by committee that got together the last day possible and stuck it together as best they could. Amazing engine and fairly impressive stock stats, but I'd still have chosen an FD RX7 over a Mk4 Supra. Here's to hoping the Mk5 Supra is more like the FD RX7.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
I was more of a Starion fan

Name:  Starion.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  51.7 KB

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Toyota would fuck it up - I hope that if they do make another car like it, they don't use the Supra name and ruin it.

The Mark IV was a clusterfuck of win - the 2JZ-GTE is a great engine with seemingly unlimited potential, it looks fantastic even today, and lastly it had more than likely the finest manual gearbox to ever shift in the Getrag V160. A combo like that would be stupid expensive and therefore wouldn't be seen in anything less than a supercar.
      12-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Toyota would not build a Supra replacement and if it did; it wouldn't be nearly as good simply because of costs or the car would be incredibly expensive (i.e. 100K plus).

There is no way a company like Toyota would over engineer an engine like that today... For a worthy successor the car would need to have;

1. RWD
2. 3.0L TT motor with 450 WHP (with potential to tune) and over engineered internals
3. An excellent LSD setup with sport suspension
4. 50/50 Weight Distribution
5. Dead sexy looks with Lexus Quality interior
6. Install an insane DCT tranny (which unfortunately Toyota doesn't make) ala GTR
7. Something that runs 1/4 times comparable to a GTR
8. Curb weight of no more than 3400 LBS

The above named would make this car a worthy competitor to a GTR / Vette Z06 anything less would not make it a worthy successor. Unfortunately Toyota does not have anything minus an LFA that meets any of those requirements and that car costs $375K... in other words it won't happen unless Toyota somehow is able to create a magical formula like the GTR for such costs. Given that Toyota doesn't have a single sports car to go off minus a $400K exotic; they are screwed.
      12-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

I think I'd rather have a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The Supra TT wasn't exactly affordable back in the day. In 1997 the MSRP was actually $500 more than the E36 M3 at $39,900 for the turbo. If you use the CPI it comes out to around $52,000 based on your average basket of goods. The Supra wasn't the best selling car or anything back then... giving a lot of sales to the NSX, RX7, M3, 300ZX and a host of other performance cars that were of better value.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Toyota would fuck it up - I hope that if they do make another car like it, they don't use the Supra name and ruin it.
Agree. Toyota would f*ck it up.

They are not the same company they were 10-15 years ago.

Toyota sold their soul a few years back trying to become the largest automaker. In the attempt to overtake GM, they watered down their product.

In order to make an interesting product they has to partner with Subie.
Appreciate 0