E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How do you dust your car?

04-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #23
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
The detailing maestro comes in with the save of the day.....haha. I gotta get me some of that stuff Jopa.

FWIW I just let it build up and wash it once a week or so, just at the car was even if its just a quick wash. In my experience its too easy to scratch it or swirl it any other way.
You'll love it, I guarantee it!

Especially this time of year, anyone who hasn't tried ONR should really read up on it and consider ordering some. It's a great product. They just released a new formula, so be sure you're buying the new version. Follow ONR up with some anti-static QD and that's about the best protection you can get from dust/pollen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Don't listen to this guy..he knows nothing.
I sense sarcasm?

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #24
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
ONR.
ONR...Office of Naval Research...? What does the Navy know about dusting?
      04-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #25
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
if it's dusty in 5 seconds, what makes you think it won't be dusty in another 5 seconds after you dust it?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #26
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzbullseye View Post
ONR...Office of Naval Research...? What does the Navy know about dusting?
Optimum No Rinse. Sorry for throwing acronyms around randomly.

Anti-static quick detailer such as CG Speed Wipe is good for dust protection too.

DetailedImage is a BimmerPost sponsor and offers both products. 10% off for E90Post members too.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #27
J BONE
The Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 F15 X6

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [9.00]
Quote:
ONR.
Best stuff on the market IMO!
2011 E92 M3- Retired
2011 E90 335- Retired
2008 E92 335- Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Optimum No Rinse. Sorry for throwing acronyms around randomly.

Anti-static quick detailer such as CG Speed Wipe is good for dust protection too.

DetailedImage is a BimmerPost sponsor and offers both products. 10% off for E90Post members too.
No problem, I googled it and figured it out. I read up on both of these products and really like what I've read!

So what's your routine? ONR for a regular wash additive or a rinseless wash and then the CG Speed Wipe for regular detailing?
      04-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #29
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

I often use a blower. If the car is dusty and not dirty, I'll drag a light cotton towel (with no edges) over the surface with NO pressure. It works great and it does not scratch or leave swirls.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #30
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem, I googled it and figured it out. I read up on both of these products and really like what I've read!

So what's your routine? ONR for a regular wash additive or a rinseless wash and then the CG Speed Wipe for regular detailing?
Depends. In the winter or very early spring, I don't use ONR as much due to the residual sand still on the roads. Weather permitting, I'll thoroughly hose off the car then ONR it though. ONR has fantastic lubricity and cleaning power, but I would rather hose the sand off as much as possible first for obvious reasons.

I never use ONR as an additive to a normal wash, it wasn't designed for that purpose. But an ONR wash can be done quickly with two buckets (one with ONR mixed, one just water for rinsing sponges), a couple of inexpensive grout sponges from Lowes, and a good microfiber for drying. For me personally, it's quick and easy for mid-week washes to get rid of the pollen this time of year. It takes under an hour once you get the routine down and can be done in the garage after work with minimal effort. I use that CG QD specifically for its anti-static properties - the slower dust and pollen accumulate on my car, the better. Apply it to paint with existing protection (waxed within the last month or two) after drying the car for best results.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #31
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
I won't border dusting it. dust is like sandpaper on a glossy surface. If you move it, there will be abrasion between the dust, your duster, and the car. The paint job will take the blunt of the 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENCHI View Post
bucket of soap and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post
I use the car wash.
Quote:
ONR.

NEVER dust your car, especially if it's black. I don't care what kind of quality duster you use, it will **** up your paint.

It's a universal truth kind of like running your car through machine car washes. Don't do it. If you have to, use a quick detailer and wipe it off but washing should be top priority.

I've learned just to live with it. Jet Black, 2 minutes after a wash just sitting in the garage and I've got a layer of dust, it's inevitable.
      04-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #32
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

California duster works great until you pull it out and it tosses about 100 decon pellets and a dead mouse on top of your car. I swear between this and the rabbit I found under my hood sleeping, I'm gonna open a pet shop!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #33
33five
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

drive really fast
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #34
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
usually don't care, like most people say, just part of owning a black car
      04-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #35
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

drive it so it doesn't get dusty, the wind will blow it off......... lol

I heard that people put fans in the garage for that purpose, I really don't care as everytime I wash mine it rains the next day anyhow.

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #36
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

I noticed that if you have the car waxed, the dust comes off very easily with a duster and it won't scratch the paint either.

So, make sure your car is waxed at all times in order not to cause scratches when dusting the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #37
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Depends. In the winter or very early spring, I don't use ONR as much due to the residual sand still on the roads. Weather permitting, I'll thoroughly hose off the car then ONR it though. ONR has fantastic lubricity and cleaning power, but I would rather hose the sand off as much as possible first for obvious reasons.

I never use ONR as an additive to a normal wash, it wasn't designed for that purpose. But an ONR wash can be done quickly with two buckets (one with ONR mixed, one just water for rinsing sponges), a couple of inexpensive grout sponges from Lowes, and a good microfiber for drying. For me personally, it's quick and easy for mid-week washes to get rid of the pollen this time of year. It takes under an hour once you get the routine down and can be done in the garage after work with minimal effort. I use that CG QD specifically for its anti-static properties - the slower dust and pollen accumulate on my car, the better. Apply it to paint with existing protection (waxed within the last month or two) after drying the car for best results.
Cool. I'm definitely interested in the CG QD and may work the ONR into the routine as well. There is mention of using the ONR as an additive to your regular car wash on autogeek btw, here's the quote:

"Add 1 ounce to wash water made with your regular car wash. No Rinse Wash & Shine’s advanced polymers and lubricants offer more surface protection and slickness than ordinary car soap alone. It acts as a water softener and conditioner to improve the quality of the water that touches your vehicle to provide the ultimate safe wash."

This may be of little value (don't know since I haven't tried it yet), but it sounds plausible.

Anyway, thanks for the info/tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post

NEVER dust your car, especially if it's black. I don't care what kind of quality duster you use, it will **** up your paint.

It's a universal truth kind of like running your car through machine car washes. Don't do it. If you have to, use a quick detailer and wipe it off but washing should be top priority.

I've learned just to live with it. Jet Black, 2 minutes after a wash just sitting in the garage and I've got a layer of dust, it's inevitable.
I think black paint is very sensitive to any manipulation. I suspect that a properly waxed black paint job could be dusted without wreaking havoc, but it may be more trouble than its worth. For lighter color paint, dusting (if done properly) can be done without noticeable damage.

Machine car washes are for minivan driving soccer moms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
California duster works great until you pull it out and it tosses about 100 decon pellets and a dead mouse on top of your car. I swear between this and the rabbit I found under my hood sleeping, I'm gonna open a pet shop!

Damn critters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I noticed that if you have the car waxed, the dust comes off very easily with a duster and it won't scratch the paint either.

So, make sure your car is waxed at all times in order not to cause scratches when dusting the car.
+1
This is a key ingredient for sure.
      04-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #38
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. I'm definitely interested in the CG QD and may work the ONR into the routine as well. There is mention of using the ONR as an additive to your regular car wash on autogeek btw, here's the quote:

"Add 1 ounce to wash water made with your regular car wash. No Rinse Wash & Shine’s advanced polymers and lubricants offer more surface protection and slickness than ordinary car soap alone. It acts as a water softener and conditioner to improve the quality of the water that touches your vehicle to provide the ultimate safe wash."

This may be of little value (don't know since I haven't tried it yet), but it sounds plausible.

Anyway, thanks for the info/tips!
Interesting, never heard of that before. But I'd be willing to give it a shot.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #39
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

When the dust is light, i use a wet/soaked high quality microfiber and just pass over the surface with almost no pressure
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Washing, dusting, etc., is too much work. I just drive it dirty.

Only if I notice my highway gas mileage is getting worse will I do a full wash and wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #41
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
What do you use? I just washed my dad's black car, and it was dusty in 5 seconds. I dusted it with a "duster" and it has marring all over the place! What should I use?
Don't use a duster...

The only thing that may help is using a quick detailer after the wash (like Zaino 6). That helps a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #42
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

wax your car than when you wash it use a touchless car wash like mr clean car wash,

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #43
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Bingo. This or FK1 425 will help out the dust situation.

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #44
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

If you use ONR as a rinseless wash make sure you do a panel at a time as it can leave some interesting blueish spots. ONR works great for spot cleanups etc. but don't do the whole car at once if you're even a little OCD!
Appreciate 0