Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Quality of Velocity Motoring CSL wheels?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Closed Thread

01-31-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quality of Velocity Motoring CSL wheels?

Ok, I mentioned this in another post, but thought this deserved its own thread.

There seems to have been some issues with the finish on the CSLs wheels. Is this common? Are these sub-par wheels?

I just ordered mine, and am a bit concerned now that I might be starting a future headache.

CSL owners out there, please comment on your experiences
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Ok, I mentioned this in another post, but thought this deserved its own thread.

There seems to have been some issues with the finish on the CSLs wheels. Is this common? Are these sub-par wheels?

I just ordered mine, and am a bit concerned now that I might be starting a future headache.

CSL owners out there, please comment on your experiences
The finish is perfectly fine, our own vehicles have been running the wheels with no issues to report. There is also a 1 year warranty on the finish.

The most important part would be to use no abrasive/acidic cleaners (this includes Simple Green) on the wheels when washing - plain soap & water will do. If you wouldn't use it on your BMW's paint - it shouldn't be on the wheels.

Wheel Wax is a good product for the wheels and is recommended a good coat is applied before installing to prevent brake dust buildup. A simple rinse with the hose will take the dust right off.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I agree with what Tom said. Velocity Motoring makes excellent wheels and their finishes should not be of any concern. I wouldnt be worried at all to be quite honest. Just be sure to post pictures when they're mounted on your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
I agree with what Tom said. Velocity Motoring makes excellent wheels and their finishes should not be of any concern. I wouldnt be worried at all to be quite honest. Just be sure to post pictures when they're mounted on your car.
That I will do.

What about the wheel cleaners you find at your local auto store. I have been using meguirs wheel cleaner for the past few years on various cars.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
That I will do.

What about the wheel cleaners you find at your local auto store. I have been using meguirs wheel cleaner for the past few years on various cars.
I don't recommend any cleaners other than plain soap/water. If you feel the need to use cleaners, you're not cleaning the wheels often enough.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Instead of reiterating what everyone has already said, another good rule of thumb would be: treat the finish on your wheels like you would the finish on the body of your car. You shouldn't have any problems with the finish if you do this.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

I think best response is don't worry about it. It's manufacturer warranty protected. Contact your vendor if you feel there is an issue with the finish. Remember to just use soap and water and stay away from the acid cleaners.

After years of selling the wheel and having them on our car (as owners of the wheels) I can say they hold up extremely well. They are a quality product
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cool, thanks everybody
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
My experience is a bit different. My experience is that the clear coat is thin and chips, scratches and knicks way too easy. These are the most frustrating wheels I have owned from a finish perspective. They gave me major stress for several weeks until I let it go.

Cleaner wax that I have used for years on other car's paint and wheels and are otherwise indicated as "safe for your clear coat paint" easily stripped the clear coat on mine through to the underlying paint. I ruined a couple of areas of two wheels before I realized what was happening and switched to a wax only product.

Issues raised to the selling vendor about the quality and durability of the finish were dismissed, so I think the 1 year warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on unless you have a major adhesion failure and are willing to hassle with the seller and ultimately the manufacturer about it - or perhaps happen to buy from a vendor that will stand behind the product.

I wanted to put them on the other day during an extended dry and warm spell, but was afraid the winter crap on the road would add to the road damage already realized from just a few months use. So, I kept my Beyerns on with snow tires which have been a much more durable finish by comparison through the worst of road conditions.

The wheels look great, there is no question. And, the offsets are perfect. They really make the car. They probably work best with areas with great roads and no crap on them. However, I will be switching these out this summer for some wheels with a higher quality finish, no question.

YMMV.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 05:51 AM   #10
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Well seems like they are a high quality product. But I'm sure the manufacturer wouldn't mind taking a set back that has experienced a problem. Just swapping a damaged wheel doesn't sound too hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
steaman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i3S - 2019 X3 3.0d F25 - 2011

I got my new Velocity CSL Reps last week and had Bridgestone Potenza tyres mounted today. Between 60 and 80 gram balance weights (a lot)! And the reason is imbalance in the rims! One small center hole chips on three rims and the guy who made the job was careful. I am sad to say that the quality on these rims is clearly overrated! I have already recommended others to buy the same wheels but not any more.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steaman View Post
I got my new Velocity CSL Reps last week and had Bridgestone Potenza tyres mounted today. Between 60 and 80 gram balance weights (a lot)! And the reason is imbalance in the rims! One small center hole chips on three rims and the guy who made the job was careful. I am sad to say that the quality on these rims is clearly overrated! I have already recommended others to buy the same wheels but not any more.
Do you have pics available? Would like to see what you are describing.
      03-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I can't vouch for the paint quality, only had mine for a few days...

But I had the same experience as steaman. Lots of wheel weights needed to balance out the wheel + tire. If the mounting guy was really patient he could have spun the tire on the wheel to optimize and use less weights but I didn't expect him to do that late in the afternoon, getting $10/hr sweating away in the tire shop.

One rear wheel had to have a ridiculous amount of weights on it to balance out. I didn't count to see exactly how many, but it's a lot, more than I've ever had on ANY wheel/tire combo, and I've had many in the past. On my high end wheels of yore it took very little weight to balance the tires out, since the wheels were so balanced.

Honestly, for $900, you can't expect too much out of them... this whole set of wheels cost less than 1 of my nice forged wheels. I really don't care that much that they aren't perfectly balanced out of the box... It's a cheap wheel that looks pretty nice. I thought about waxing them and taking really good care of them but in the end I see them getting pretty beat up in a year or two (I drive tons of miles) and I'll just replace them.
      03-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

After having mind now for about a month. I concur, these wheels are cheap and the finish sucks.

I have chips on all 4 wheels, and like others, there are a shit load of weight on all 4 to balance.

In this case, you get what you pay for. These are cheaply priced wheels and so is the quality. After my tires wear out on these rims, I am going back to stock wheels.

After having the CSL's on for a little bit I actually miss the look of the stock wheels.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #15
Kozmo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Saphire Black

Im sorry to say, but i also had a problem with them....not only balancing...but quality.....i didnt have them on for 1 month and i already cracked a rim in 1/2!!! but i gotta give it to them...they look great and they replaced the cracked rim for no extra charge!! at least they were generous about the replacement!!

http://www.myspace.com/kozmo630
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #16
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Driver View Post
My experience is a bit different. My experience is that the clear coat is thin and chips, scratches and knicks way too easy. These are the most frustrating wheels I have owned from a finish perspective. They gave me major stress for several weeks until I let it go.

Cleaner wax that I have used for years on other car's paint and wheels and are otherwise indicated as "safe for your clear coat paint" easily stripped the clear coat on mine through to the underlying paint. I ruined a couple of areas of two wheels before I realized what was happening and switched to a wax only product.

Issues raised to the selling vendor about the quality and durability of the finish were dismissed, so I think the 1 year warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on unless you have a major adhesion failure and are willing to hassle with the seller and ultimately the manufacturer about it - or perhaps happen to buy from a vendor that will stand behind the product.

I wanted to put them on the other day during an extended dry and warm spell, but was afraid the winter crap on the road would add to the road damage already realized from just a few months use. So, I kept my Beyerns on with snow tires which have been a much more durable finish by comparison through the worst of road conditions.

The wheels look great, there is no question. And, the offsets are perfect. They really make the car. They probably work best with areas with great roads and no crap on them. However, I will be switching these out this summer for some wheels with a higher quality finish, no question.

YMMV.

This sounds to be in line with the response of not using "any" cleaners on the wheels. Any wheel worth their damn should have enough clear to hold up to major mfg of car care products (Meguire, Eagle One, Zanio, etc) that says it's clear coat safe.

I wash my wheels once a week in the summer and once every two weeks in the winter (if possible). I've used Eagle One A-to-Z Wheel cleaner for the past 10 years on a variety of wheels and never had problems. If I need to wash the wheels more than that, the wheels aren't worth that much effort.

Would I use the wheel cleaner on the car? No... but the car doesn't have hot brake dust spraying on it all day long, otherwise I may...
      03-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #17
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Yikes, rim cracked in half is scary to hear. Pictures? I wouldn't assume that they're that horrible and they should be passing safety standards if they have certs to go with the wheels.

Regardless, as a note to people who are considering these wheels is that I wouldn't expect them to be the same thing as a set of HREs or Fikses or something, and that's fine... Just have the appropriate expectations for $900 wheels.

My friend has these in 18s on his E36 M3 for a long time without any issues apart from the paint chipping - structurally they're fine.
      03-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic View Post
Would I use the wheel cleaner on the car? No... but the car doesn't have hot brake dust spraying on it all day long, otherwise I may...
+1 This is the first I've heard of this. We can't use WHEEL CLEANER on our wheels? That's insanity. Anyone who's cleaned wheels before knows that soap and water do shit to take brake dust and tar off wheels. WTF?

also, I've used replica wheels and copies before (Rota) and they were clear coated, and never chipped, cracked, or had issues with the finish or types of wheel cleaner used. This isn't what's expected out of inexpensive wheels, it's what's expected out of CHEAP wheels.

I was all but sold on these, and now I don't know what to do!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Holy crap after reading this post I'm damn happy I decided against the cheap CSL reps and went with a more expensive wheel. Too bad the offsets on the OEM ZCP wheel offsets don't work on the e9x.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMRC View Post
Too bad the offsets on the OEM ZCP wheel offsets don't work on the e9x.
Can you please clarify this? I can't figure out what this means....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #21
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
The same basic rules that apply in most other areas of life apply here, you get what you pay for. How can any reasonable person expect a set of rims that are priced at...well, a low price be much better than something that costs much more? I don't blame the venders 100%, they of course will say what they need to say to move inventory, that's what they do. I do think they go out of their way to convince the buyer, but in the end the choice is with the customer. The buyer(s) have to be the responsible ones and use some common sense. Trusting venders with a blind eye or not using some common sense can result in wasted money (cheaper to do it right the 1st time in most cases), head/heartache, anger/frustration, etc...

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #22
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
It means that the OEM ZCP wheels will not fit the E9X cars without having to use spacers in the front. They were designed for the E46 cars. If you buy these rims and use them w/o a spacer, the front rims will be very tucked in the front fenders. It's not a good look.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Can you please clarify this? I can't figure out what this means....
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread