E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > X-pipe vs Resonators?

10-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

X-pipe vs Resonators?

I installed a catless downpipe on my E90 last weekend, and I'm not a big fan of how the car sound now(I also have the PE mod). Car sounds like a diesel truck down low, and rasps up high.
I've got my hands on some resonators, but I'm wondering if an X-pipe will help with the sound at all.
I know the E92's have an X-pipe, and the E90's have an H-pipe. Anyone have any idea if I should try switching to an X-pipe first, or just have the resonators put on, and not bother with switching out my current H-pipe. Will an X-pipe affect the sound level as well, or just the tone of the exhaust?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_
I installed a catless downpipe on my E90 last weekend, and I'm not a big fan of how the car sound now(I also have the PE mod). Car sounds like a diesel truck down low, and rasps up high.
I've got my hands on some resonators, but I'm wondering if an X-pipe will help with the sound at all.
I know the E92's have an X-pipe, and the E90's have an H-pipe. Anyone have any idea if I should try switching to an X-pipe first, or just have the resonators put on, and not bother with switching out my current H-pipe. Will an X-pipe affect the sound level as well, or just the tone of the exhaust?

Thanks
Hey ran into the same problem.

Expect that my N55 E92 has catless dp, catted midpipe, xpipe, 335is mufflers.

With the catted mid pipe I haven't smell any gas yet.

But the sound, you're right, it ruin the BMW style and becomes highly "aftermarket" like... Not a big fan either, but for the performance gain.. Sigh.

With catted midpipe, the car still drone like shxt. I'm pretty sensitive to noise so lately I've been having light headache everyday from this.

I'm considering getting a center muffler from sedan and clamp it on and see if it helps..

Good luck to you
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #3
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post

But the sound, you're right, it ruin the BMW style and becomes highly "aftermarket" like... Not a big fan either, but for the performance gain.. Sigh.

With catted midpipe, the car still drone like shxt. I'm pretty sensitive to noise so lately I've been having light headache everyday from this.

I'm considering getting a center muffler from sedan and clamp it on and see if it helps..

Good luck to you
Sounds like resonators will do the trick. I think the stock n55 midpipes are both catless, unless you have the 335is midpipes witch might have cats. Ill be putting up a video in the below thread after I have it done tomorrow (hopefully). Weel see how it turns out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1113288&page=2
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post

Good luck to you
Sounds like resonators will do the trick. I think the stock n55 midpipes are both catless, unless you have the 335is midpipes witch might have cats. Ill be putting up a video in the below thread after I have it done tomorrow (hopefully). Weel see how it turns out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...288&page=2
Okay please, yes I do added a pair of secondary cat, can't calm the noise

You're adding the resonator on where the secondary cats are correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_ View Post

Thanks
From what I've read on the forums x-pipe gives PE raspier tone. So resonators will definitely affect the sound of your exhaust.
If you're LCI E90, you should have xpipe already:

Only pre LCI E90's and Xdrive have midpipe resonator. LCI E90's have the xpipe. I learned this the hard way! Bought a used pre-lci e90 dp back exhaust off fellow forum member and did PE MOD besides replacing resonator with xpipe. When I went to swap the exhaust, I noticed my 2011 e90 had the xpipe!

Here's a video with midpipe resonator, decatted dp and secondaries, and PE MOD mufflers: www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0TswCSpnCc[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
From what I've read on the forums x-pipe gives PE raspier tone. So resonators will definitely affect the sound of your exhaust.
If you're LCI E90, you should have xpipe already:

Only pre LCI E90's and Xdrive have midpipe resonator. LCI E90's have the xpipe. I learned this the hard way! Bought a used pre-lci e90 dp back exhaust off fellow forum member and did PE MOD besides replacing resonator with xpipe. When I went to swap the exhaust, I noticed my 2011 e90 had the xpipe!

Here's a video with midpipe resonator, decatted dp and secondaries, and PE MOD mufflers: www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0TswCSpnCc
[/QUOTE]

No matter what i look up, it seems like everyone's exhaust is a little different, even between similar year n55's. All I know is that from a visual inspection from my own exhaust, is that there was a cat in the downpipe, there is currently an H-pipe in the midpipes, and there was a resonator in the drivers side muffler. At this point I'm just going to do the resonators, and see how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

Hopefully that gives you the sound you're looking for. Post some clips before and after if you can! What resonators are you putting in?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
Hopefully that gives you the sound you're looking for. Post some clips before and after if you can! What resonators are you putting in?
Putting in Vibrant 1790's.
Will post videos (hopefully by this Friday) to this thread:
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
E90 335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Shirtpants_ any updates after putting resonators in? And where did you put them?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nope, didn't get it done yet, had to wait on my exhaust tips to get powder-coated. I have an appointment for Wednesday morning, so I will have an update by either Wednesday night, or sometime thursday
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
E90 335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Nope, didn't get it done yet, had to wait on my exhaust tips to get powder-coated. I have an appointment for Wednesday morning, so I will have an update by either Wednesday night, or sometime thursday
Thanks man, staying tuned on this one! I appreciate your feedback as this will help me determine if I should do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 335xi View Post
Thanks man, staying tuned on this one! I appreciate your feedback as this will help me determine if I should do the same thing.
+1. Please keep us posted! I want to install DP but am concerned about the added noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #13
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
+1. Please keep us posted! I want to install DP but am concerned about the added noise.
Will do guys, hopefully tomorrow is the day, since they'll have the car at 8am.

DrRobert! I don't mind putting up a video of the exhaust, as long as you don't mind putting up more dyno results once you've gone fully a catless ...
I've been following your Pure turbos thread, and this could hopefully be the last thing that puts you at 400whp on 91 octane.

BTW the catless smell isn't bad at all. I like it, and I only smell it if the windows are down and I'm stopped or going in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #14
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
DrRobert! I don't mind putting up a video of the exhaust, as long as you don't mind putting up more dyno results once you've gone fully a catless ...
I've been following your Pure turbos thread, and this could hopefully be the last thing that puts you at 400whp on 91 octane.
Sure thing shirtpants! Will definitely dyno and share results if and when I swap DP. I'm also following that other thread about the O2 sim as I'm worried about emissions as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #15
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

Got it done, update in this thread, trying to keep all the info in one place:

Appreciate 0