E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

01-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #595
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Very cool! Patrys, did you have to do anything extreme to get it to work, or were the necessary wires already there? I assume you had to make new connectors?

Thanks!
The CIC and the CCC use the same Quadralock with the same pin assignments. Only the HD CID power/CAN connector is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #596
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The CIC and the CCC use the same Quadralock with the same pin assignments. Only the HD CID power/CAN connector is different.
Awesome! I'll have to look into a used CIC and play around myself.
      01-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #597
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! I'll have to look into a used CIC and play around myself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E90-B...item2c5296693d

You should call them and offer no more than $500 for it... it has been relisted in eBay twice, and price reduced already and still no buyers for the last 6 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:40 AM   #598
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Very cool! Patrys, did you have to do anything extreme to get it to work, or were the necessary wires already there? I assume you had to make new connectors?

Thanks!
Technic is right. You will need a CIC, a HD CID, a video cable and a plastic cover for CIC. This is the minimum.
You can extend it with a USB port + cable and you might want to change a connector on the HD CID power/CAN cable to make it OEM. I just extracted pins from the cable and connected them to my new CID.

You do not have to change a controller, but it you do it you will need a new trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #599
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E90-B...item2c5296693d

You should call them and offer no more than $500 for it... it has been relisted in eBay twice, and price reduced already and still no buyers for the last 6 weeks.
Cool! Not ready to do it quite yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
Technic is right. You will need a CIC, a HD CID, a video cable and a plastic cover for CIC. This is the minimum.
You can extend it with a USB port + cable and you might want to change a connector on the HD CID power/CAN cable to make it OEM. I just extracted pins from the cable and connected them to my new CID.

You do not have to change a controller, but it you do it you will need a new trim.
Thanks! Sounds pretty simple, and I should be able to code it myself. Now we just need to figure out the FSC!
      01-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #600
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

I installed my new CID and CIC this morning. Oddly enough, everything seems to work even without coding. Its clear that this CIC came from a 128i Automatic, as the PDC screen is different. Of course, nav & voice control does not work without FSC. Happily, the CIC works (somewhat) with the old style controller, although it sucks not having that "option" button! I was pleased to see that telematics seems to be working, even with the old TCU (bluetooth, address book, calling, seems to work) - I haven't tried assist yet. Although in comparing to a newer style LCI TCU, I did notice that that multiple listings for the same person in the address book are handled much better/easier to break down by number. Interesting. I think I want a newer TCU for that reason alone.

Oh, on another note, I was gonna swap the plastic lens/hood for the CID - the old style and new style are different, even though they look identical. The micro light sensor has a different ribbon cable which goes into the CID which is slightly different (different # of contacts) - weird. I have pix if anyone is interested.

I guess I'll go out and code the CIC now (assuming I have new enough software on my laptop) and see what changes...

So far, so good.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #601
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I installed my new CID and CIC this morning. Oddly enough, everything seems to work even without coding. Its clear that this CIC came from a 128i Automatic, as the PDC screen is different. Of course, nav & voice control does not work without FSC. Happily, the CIC works (somewhat) with the old style controller, although it sucks not having that "option" button! I was pleased to see that telematics seems to be working, even with the old TCU (bluetooth, address book, calling, seems to work) - I haven't tried assist yet. Although in comparing to a newer style LCI TCU, I did notice that that multiple listings for the same person in the address book are handled much better/easier to break down by number. Interesting. I think I want a newer TCU for that reason alone.

Oh, on another note, I was gonna swap the plastic lens/hood for the CID - the old style and new style are different, even though they look identical. The micro light sensor has a different ribbon cable which goes into the CID which is slightly different (different # of contacts) - weird. I have pix if anyone is interested.

I guess I'll go out and code the CIC now (assuming I have new enough software on my laptop) and see what changes...

So far, so good.
And this makes 5 CIC retrofits in this forum waiting for the FSC...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #602
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post

So far, so good.
Very cool! Curious to hear how you make out with the coding. PM me if your software isn't up to date
      01-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #603
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
wait sorry if this question was answered, but is it possible to upgrade existing idrive unit with the newer harddrive unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #604
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
wait sorry if this question was answered, but is it possible to upgrade existing idrive unit with the newer harddrive unit?
That's what this whole 28 page thread is about.
      01-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #605
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

I got a hold of a LCI 5-series tonight and took the glovebox apart. I found that the USB port cable runs and joins into the main dash harness and goes up into the dash (as opposed to a single wire going "left" towards the radio.) Go figure.

I was hoping to find a 24" cable that went from the USB port to the CIC with a nice gray tag with part numbers on it...sort of like the old & new LVDS cables do. No luck.

Tomorrow, I will try to get my paws on a nice LCI 3-series and do the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #606
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
6 with a bench unit.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #607
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Pony

Quote:
Very cool! Curious to hear how you make out with the coding. PM me if your software isn't up to date
Do you have unlocked icom?)
      01-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #608
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy bastard View Post
Do you have unlocked icom?)
No, not ICOM. How would that help?
      01-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #609
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
No, not ICOM. How would that help?
Hmm, and how you want to update the software in CIC?
      01-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #610
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Guys do we have pictures of any of this? also some one please explain the FSC coding...is it something that can be hacked? I have programming resources ..I believe all BMW code is written in siemens VDO (http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com...e/home_en.html) I know BMW is still using siemens just not sure exactly the code structure...can we crack this if we had a programmer who is familar?

another cool note: http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/26/b...gation-system/

Last edited by Dubbedoutbimmer; 01-26-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #611
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep

also found this

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...bmw-e60-69852/
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #612
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
Guys do we have pictures of any of this? also some one please explain the FSC coding...is it something that can be hacked? I have programming resources ..I believe all BMW code is written in siemens VDO (http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com...e/home_en.html) I know BMW is still using siemens just not sure exactly the code structure...can we crack this if we had a programmer who is familar?
The CIC was developed by Harmann-Becker. And something about development: do you know what is Softing, GIS e.t.c?
      01-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #613
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The CIC was developed by Harmann-Becker. And something about development: do you know what is Softing, GIS e.t.c?
PM sent found some very interesting info out!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #614
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Technic,
contact me I have made some interesting back door finds. For licensing reasons etc. I can not post info here.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #615
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
PM sent found some very interesting info out!!!!!!
Hm, and what's interesting I must see there?
Quote:
Technic,
contact me I have made some interesting back door finds. For licensing reasons etc. I can not post info here.
What are you naive...
      01-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #616
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, and how you want to update the software in CIC?
Not ICOM, but close

PM me if you want to discuss more.