E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I was at the local drag strip and got rear ended. I need your help.

12-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #23
The_AMG_Hunter
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
why is it always shitty cars that crash into our bimmers? fucking honda POS!!!
      12-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #24
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Insurance fraud is a felony, so you have him there. His car says "US Army" on the windshield. If he is active duty you can get him into deep, deep shit.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #25
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
He can get in serious trouble for providing fake insurance and having fake plates. Go to the police, they will help you.
      12-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #26
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

I can never understand the reasoning of why people are afraid of their insurance companies. Yo pay them money every month of your adult life practically so that when sh*t happens they can cover your ass.

Agreed that your insurance company probably could not help you if this actually happened while you were on the track. BUT From the looks of the pictures (grandstands facing 90 deg away from you in background) you were in a parking area of track (parking lot) and this would not be considered a policy violation if the incident happened in said parking lot. That said, insurance companies have the resources (definitely more than you, I and 99% people here) to track this guy down and/or go after the property owner for repair costs. Sure, you may have to pay your deductible upfront, but you are going to have to pay that and then some if you don't use your insurance for repairs and go out of pocket route. And all reputiable insurance agencies will not raise your rates for a no fault (hit n run) accident.

You can go via the private attorney route, but its going to take a lot longer than 6 months for resolution, more like a year and 6 months and its not cheap and comes with no guarantees. Once you sue the property owner their insurance company will step in and use their staff attorneys at essentially $0 cost to the property owner and $0 cost to the insurance company so if they want they can just bury you in paperwork, motions, depositions and delays until you can't afford your lawyer or if he/she is on contingency will be taking upwards of 40% plus court/filing costs of any winnings thereby leaving you with almost what you started with, nothing.

Not trying to get you down or anything, just wanting to give you facts from personal and professional experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #27
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post
I can never understand the reasoning of why people are afraid of their insurance companies. Yo pay them money every month of your adult life practically so that when sh*t happens they can cover your ass.

Agreed that your insurance company probably could not help you if this actually happened while you were on the track. BUT From the looks of the pictures (grandstands facing 90 deg away from you in background) you were in a parking area of track (parking lot) and this would not be considered a policy violation if the incident happened in said parking lot. That said, insurance companies have the resources (definitely more than you, I and 99% people here) to track this guy down and/or go after the property owner for repair costs. Sure, you may have to pay your deductible upfront, but you are going to have to pay that and then some if you don't use your insurance for repairs and go out of pocket route. And all reputiable insurance agencies will not raise your rates for a no fault (hit n run) accident.

You can go via the private attorney route, but its going to take a lot longer than 6 months for resolution, more like a year and 6 months and its not cheap and comes with no guarantees. Once you sue the property owner their insurance company will step in and use their staff attorneys at essentially $0 cost to the property owner and $0 cost to the insurance company so if they want they can just bury you in paperwork, motions, depositions and delays until you can't afford your lawyer or if he/she is on contingency will be taking upwards of 40% plus court/filing costs of any winnings thereby leaving you with almost what you started with, nothing.

Not trying to get you down or anything, just wanting to give you facts from personal and professional experience.
some of the most thorough and best advice ive seen here in a while
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #28
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

From the looks of it, the damage done to your car isn't that bad. To be quite honest, I had a hard time seeing anything that would make me say, "wow, that fucking sucks." I suggest you first get a quote to see how much it would cost you to fix. Perhaps most of it can be buffed out with a good detailing?? Then see if it is worth your time to hunt this dude down.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #29
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Insurance fraud is a felony, so you have him there. His car says "US Army" on the windshield. If he is active duty you can get him into deep, deep shit.
If he was active duty, you'd think he'd have an official Department of Defense decal on his window. I don't see one...
Appreciate 0