E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

01-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #551
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

No FSC codes from Autologic... back to the drawing board.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #552
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Just PM you price (enabling codes for Nav and Voice) and details on how to load them if the price is reasonable, please.
We don't install voice input in vehicle. This option is not available on our language. Price... the price is different. It depends of chassis, production date and your option list. Base price... I will send pm for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy bastard View Post
Hmm, do you update CIC-navi?
And I repeat my question
      01-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #553
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
We don't install voice input in vehicle. This option is not available on our language. Price... the price is different. It depends of chassis, production date and your option list. Base price... I will send pm for you.

And I repeat my question
My CIC is brand new, never coded if that's what you are asking.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #554
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
My CIC is brand new, never coded if that's what you are asking.
You told about code for map-activation. This process required since BMW Road map 2010-1, coz this release is installed through the ISTA. Earlier version of navi and gracenote was updated by the dvd
      01-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #555
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You told about code for map-activation. This process required since BMW Road map 2010-1, coz this release is installed through the ISTA. Earlier version of navi and gracenote was updated by the dvd
The question was about map updates, dude... that was the answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #556
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
The question was about map updates, dude... that was the answer.
Hm, the first car with CIC was sold with 2008-1 map release. Do you understand, what I talking about?
      01-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #557
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hm, the first car with CIC was sold with 2008-1 map release. Do you understand, what I talking about?
Yes, at least in the USA there has been no map updates since the introduction of the CIC. 2010.1 is the first map update here, and dealers here are having problems getting the enabling codes for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #558
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Technic, did you get your audio working?
      01-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #559
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Technic, did you get your audio working?
The audio is set by default to Stereo system (high level), which I actually want for my aftermarket audio system so I don't have to buy any MOST preamp device. It sounds much better with these analog outputs straight to my aftermarket processor than with the LC6i that I had to use to lower the outputs of the Individual Audio amp before going to the processor.

Once Autologic finish coding my unit for M3-specific features and options then I would have HiFi system outputs (low level) custom coded into the CIC, which are much better than Stereo.

I'm not going back to Individual Audio MOST outputs...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #560
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The audio is set by default to Stereo system (high level), which I actually want for my aftermarket audio system so I don't have to buy any MOST preamp device. It sounds much better with these analog outputs straight to my aftermarket processor than with the LC6i that I had to use to lower the outputs of the Individual Audio amp before going to the processor.

Once Autologic finish coding my unit for M3-specific features and options then I would have HiFi system outputs (low level) custom coded into the CIC, which are much better than Stereo.

I'm not going back to Individual Audio MOST outputs...
Gotcha. Glad to hear you're all set.
      01-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #561
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. Glad to hear you're all set.
Well, there are no Nav or Voice Control enabling codes yet so it is quite far from set, but we are going to get there some day...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #562
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
damn, i read all of that and we are still have at square 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #563
BDMBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 3 series

Technic I don't know if you give us a ball park on what you have spent(excluding your time) so far. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #564
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMBimmer View Post
Technic I don't know if you give us a ball park on what you have spent(excluding your time) so far. Thanks
Parts were $2100, and most of it was getting the new CIC, controller and console trim, the rest used. Add the Autologic a fee to code the CIC to your car (FSC codes not included). That fee will depend of your shop hour rates and Autologic cost of analizing your car, so estimate between $300 to $600 in coding costs. You can easily cut at least $700 off of my cost if you buy everything used, and could save the full Autologic coding cost if the used CIC came from a car exactly configured as yours, as in same model, same standard and optional equipment. As a bonus, an used CIC will have the maps loaded so that's another $200 in savings.

Such an used CIC will be fully functional and almost plug 'n play in any MY2007-on 3-Series with iDrive with the latest firmware version, only the Nav and the Voice Control will be disabled as these need the FSC enabling codes to be activated.

So done right you could be talking about $1500 in parts if you just really do your homework. For example, there was an used CIC sold in this forum for $400, the screen for $600 and the controller for $100. Add an used trim and the cables and you are at $1300-$1400.

However, buying an used CIC does not guarantee at all that even having the FSC codes you will be able to activate the Nav and the Voice Control. Even BMW states that used CIC should not be installed in any other vehicle for repairs, only new CIC. So that could mean that there's no way of making an used CIC activated in another vehicle other than in the donor of that CIC, or at least the way is not available to any dealer and it is only at the BMW parts depot thru full refurbishing (reformat the HDD perhaps). That's the reason that I bought my CIC brand new, clean of any previous coding to avoid any coding issues.

Although some people claim that they can activate used CIC what you will find out -and this thread should be enough for you to see- is that there are extremely few photos of actual activations to prove it and no information is actually posted on how to actually perform such activations.

Furthermore, this retrofit (be the CIC new or used) will make your car to not be able to be updated in firmware at any dealer at all, and will always be showing diagnostic errors (all of them iDrive related) as this is not an OEM retrofit. My solution is to keep my old iDrive parts handy in case of any dealer visit so I can put everything back -less than 20 minutes once you know well how everything is removed- before the visit. I have done exactly that already once, and my car was fully updated without any issues.

Most of my effort in this retrofit has been trying to get the FSC codes or some sort of alternate activation solution. Sooner or later some solution will be found, so my recommendation is to just wait not only for the activation solution but for the better versions of the CIC that just were released last month for MY2010-on.

Last edited by Technic; 01-14-2010 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Grammar...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #565
BDMBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 3 series

Thanks for the detailed break down. Even at say $2500 I think that is a very fair price for this upgrade, but that would be great if you can do it for $1500 or less. Thanks for all the hard work and sharing it with us, hopefully you can get it fully working.

Quote:
Parts were $2100, and most of it was getting the new CIC, controller and console trim, the rest used. Add the Autologic a fee to code the CIC to your car (FSC codes not included). That fee will depend of your shop hour rates and Autologic cost of analizing your car, so estimate between $300 to $600 in coding costs. You can easily cut at least $700 off of my cost if you buy everything used, and could save the full Autologic coding cost if the used CIC came from a car exactly configured as yours, as in same model, same standard and optional equipment. As a bonus, an used CIC will have the maps loaded so that's another $200 in savings.

Such an used CIC will be fully functional and almost plug 'n play in any MY2007-on 3-Series with iDrive with the latest firmware version, only the Nav and the Voice Control will be disabled as these need the FSC enabling codes to be activated.

So done right you could be talking about $1500 in parts if you just really do your homework. For example, there was an used CIC sold in ths forum for $400, the screen for $600 and the controller for $100. Add an used trim and the cables and you are at $1300-$1400.

However, buying an used CIC does not guarantee at all that even having the FSC codes you will be able to activate the Nav and the Voice Control. Even BMW states that used CIC should not be installed in any other vehicle for repairs, only new CIC. So that could mean that there's no way of making an used CIC activated in another vehicle other than in the donor of that CIC, or at least the way is not available to any dealer and it is only at the BMW parts depot thru full refurbishing (reformat the HDD perhaps). That's the reason that I bought my CIC brand new, clean of any previous coding to avoid any coding issues.

Although some people claim that they can activate used CIC what you will find out - and this thread should be enough for you to see- is that they are extremely few photos of actual activations to prove it and no information is actually posted on how to actually perform such activations.

Furthermore, this retrofit (be the CIC new or used) will make your car to not be able to be updated in firmware at any dealer at all, and will always be showing diagnostic errors (all of them iDrive related) as this is not an OEM retrofit. My solution is to keep my old iDrive parts handy in case of any dealer visit so I can put everything back -less than 20 minutes once you know well how everything is removed- before the visit. I have done exactly that already once, and my car was fully updated without any issues.

Most of my effort in this retrofit has been trying to get the FSC codes or some sort of alternate activation solution. Sooner or later some solution will be found, so my recommendation is just wait not only for the activation solution but for the better versions of the CIC that just were released last month for MY2010-on.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #566
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Although some people claim that they can activate used CIC what you will find out - and this thread should be enough for you to see- is that they are extremely few photos of actual activations to prove it and no information is actually posted on how to actually perform such activations.
BMW's saying no to coding used CiC units (as well as some other control modules) - in their eyes it's simply not possible. The only way around this will be 3rd party support.

Obviously, this may change as more experience is gained on these systems.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #567
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
BMW's saying no to coding used CiC units (as well as some other control modules) - in their eyes it's simply not possible. The only way around this will be 3rd party support.

Obviously, this may change as more experience is gained on these systems.
Coz it's official dealers

I do not understand the view Technic. He said that he must activate it for free because he bought a new CIC. But he bought it as a detail, rather than retrofit kit. Accordingly, BMW is not obliged to put it on his car. Maybe I just do not understand only because I live in Russia ... But at least in Europe the situation would be the same
      01-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #568
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I do not understand the view Technic. He said that he must activate it for free because he bought a new CIC. But he bought it as a detail, rather than retrofit kit. Accordingly, BMW is not obliged to put it on his car. Maybe I just do not understand only because I live in Russia ... But at least in Europe the situation would be the same
Well, the issue here is that I'm not assuming anything. What I'm claiming as free is what the own BMW documents says that it is free.

Regardless if this is a retrofit or a repair, the unit has been bought new, at an authorized dealer legally and full core charges has been paid. The documentation regarding the ordering of the CIC states very clearly that the FSC codes are part of that new order. There is not that much to argue here, as the distinction in this particular and specific case is simply academic: new CIC = retrofit = repair = free codes.

All are the same thing in this particular case, the problem is that no dealer has taken the time in reading their own documentation as this is no normal ordering process and I bet that other FSC codes requests have been to swap/retrofit used CIC. BMW specifically prohibits the swap of used CIC so we are not talking about the same thing, even remotely. And on top of that, because BMW is not officially sanctioning this retrofit/upgrade/swap, BMW and the dealers are not legally obligated to support it. That's completely understood and agreed upon since way before ordering this unit.

However that non-support starts only after the codes are supplied as part of the purchase. How I use my codes afterwards is my own damn business, as I paid for them in full and my vehicle already have that option enabled. I did call BMWNA for support as a favor, and I was extremelly clear that it was as a favor and not an obligation of any kind, and they really tried to help. Unfortunately BMWNA customer service seems to only work with dealer-customer issues, not BMW-customer issues, so all their help was finding a dealer that can help. In other words, what I have tried before to no avail.

I think that what's happening here is a colective sense of self-impossed ignorance of all BMW dealers -even in Europe- in their own documentation and some legal issues that BMW must be considering right now as this unit was purchased legally.

For me this is a simple non-issue, I paid for the codes when I purchased this unit. I can even consider some reasonable extra payment if this is really something that was completely unexpected in their system, but at the end of the day the codes are still part of the CIC legal purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #569
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Let me ask you this, do you know how to GET the FSC as well as ACTIVATE navigation on the CIC? Plain and simple
      01-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #570
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Autologic just finished coding my new CIC for my M3-specific features and options, including custom HiFi outputs (from Individual Audio), sucessfully...

No change of Vehicle order required, so my M3 is still has factory-level software.

What is left know is getting the FSC codes...

What changing the outputs thru Autologic means is that, for anybody that has Logic7 or the Individual Audio/Enhanced Premium system and is planning to get the mObridge MOST converter, now there's another option to remove the MOST/digital amp from your OEM system and install aftermarkets amps with much better sound than OEM.

This coding is fully reversible, also...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #571
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Autologic just finished coding my new CIC for my M3-specific features and options, including custom HiFi outputs (from Individual Audio), sucessfully...

No change of Vehicle order required, so my M3 is still has factory-level software.

What is left know is getting the FSC codes...

What changing the outputs thru Autologic means is that, for anybody that has Logic7 or the Individual Audio/Enhanced Premium system and is planning to get the mObridge MOST converter, now there's another option to remove the MOST/digital amp from your OEM system and install aftermarkets amps with much better sound than OEM.

This coding is fully reversible, also...
Glad it worked out for you! Should have had them enable a few of the other goodies in there too
      01-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #572
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Glad it worked out for you! Should have had them enable a few of the other goodies in there too

Appreciate 0