E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Condensation on rear window

01-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
bakili
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Garage List
not old 318i  [0.00]
Condensation on rear window

Hi guys,
my e90 rear window suffers from bad condensation.
it got so bad today, i thought first it was raining. Water was running down inside window. It was not raining today at all, but was very cold and windy.
If i turn heater on it helps, but but takes while.
I parked my car on street today, and looked after few hours, water drips were already inside rear window.
Any one experience this problem on e90.
Carpets seems to be dry
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
fuzzer123456
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2012 118d M sport auto

sounds like the inside of your car is really wet.

Are you running the AC? If not you should be as this dries the air inside the car. I can never understand people who pay for A/C and turn it off..

Do you have rubber mats? this could also be adding to the condensation inside.

I would try running the ac and the heated rear window to clear it. Take the car for a long run ( few hours )and let it dry out and see where that leads you.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzer123456 View Post
I can never understand people who pay for A/C and turn it off..
To save the pennies? I mainly only use mine in summer, every few weeks I have a run with it on though.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Keep A/C on to dry incoming air. Switching it off will cause damp warm are to get in the cabin which will instantly condensate on cold glass.

Keep all vents open to circulate air in the car. Use your climate control. Fuel / power savings in switching it off are negligible.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
bakili
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
not old 318i  [0.00]
i don't use AC much, but i will take advise and start using it.
For last 2 days it improved slightly, i turned temp down on climate control.
Car carpets feels dry.
Don't tell me please that BMW are suffering with water getting inside cabin problems.
I just sold my vw passat, which was nightmare with this problem, water was getting in from everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakili View Post
Car carpets feels dry.
Don't tell me please that BMW are suffering with water getting inside cabin problems.
I just sold my vw passat, which was nightmare with this problem, water was getting in from everywhere.
Hi
I had a similar problem with my last car, E90 bought new Sept 2006 when during it's first winter the inside of the car felt really damp and cold with moisture streaming down back window and other windows misted up easily.
Eventually, I noticed the rear seat squab was damp (not leather seats), by this time I was paranoid and I found under the boot lining was damp also.
I booked the car in but in the meantime had to make a 150 mile journey in heavy rain during which my elecrics went haywire.

It took the dealer a week to solve the problem during which time they suggested perhaps I was parking in a deep puddle wtf! or maybe using a pressure washer without care - never was near one!

Fault was micro cracks in the welds you can see each side of the body when you raise the boot lid. There was major water ingress which caused the electrics problems and they had to dry out the car and replace the seat squab - under warranty thankfully.

Don't want to worry you but suggest you go over it very carefully - my carpets felt dry as well but weren't underneath it seems - good luck!
      01-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Make sure the snowflake (cooling) symbol is ON and turn the temp UP not DOWN!!!

You want more heat with mixed with chilled (dried) air to remove condensation....

If you have Auto climate, then you should have A/C on ALL THE TIME. It's designed for it and will keep the car dry from condensation etc, the pennies you save are minimal, if any.

They have variable vane compressors these days so the cooling load is varied as required, not like old manual all or nothing systems.

Last edited by doughboy; 01-31-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Its climate control not just a/c for cooling the air. My climate is on all the time whether cooling or heating the incoming air. Never in the last few cars have I ever suffered condensation.

However in my 30 year old 924 without a/c you only have to look at the glass it steams up in this weather. Have to drive everywhere with a window cracked open to keep the air circulating.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
bakili
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
not old 318i  [0.00]
i also noticed, that it could be the way i park my car on drive.
Front facing house-brick wall, back end sticking out on street, where a lot colder and windier, could it be no air circulation?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Make sure the snowflake (cooling) symbol is ON and turn the temp UP not DOWN!!!

You want more heat with mixed with chilled (dried) air to remove condensation....

If you have Auto climate, then you should have A/C on ALL THE TIME. It's designed for it and will keep the car dry from condensation etc, the pennies you save are minimal, if any.

They have variable vane compressors these days so the cooling load is varied as required, not like old manual all or nothing systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
+1 Air con is for winter and summer......will remove moisture

ALSO you should run your A/C all year round to stop the seals drying up and then leaking the gas out. Keeps the A/C system working properly. Mind you, they do loose gas naturally and need regassing every couple of years...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunna_uk View Post
ALSO you should run your A/C all year round to stop the seals drying up and then leaking the gas out. Keeps the A/C system working properly. Mind you, they do loose gas naturally and need regassing every couple of years...
Absolutely right. It will cost you in maintenance if you turn AC off during the winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 05:46 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Does look as if the OP has water ingress.

On the C/C function, remember that when at sub 4-degree (ish) the dehumidifying (compressor function) is switched off automatically. So we do lose that function, now this (switch off even though the light stays on) can cause misting and make things worse.

Living up here in the Highlands we have a massive swing in humidity levels through the winter. Easy to get cuaght with extra condensation when the dehumidifying switches off, if I haven't prepared by switching off the snow flake, above the temperature and dried out the system over a few miles. Easier for me to switch off the snowflake during the variable temperature periods and just use the full system at controlled times, to prevent premature system failure.

It is not just a BMW issue either, all A/C systems do it, as many local folks find out.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

As you had the same problem with your last car as well. I would suspect it is something to do with the way youu are using climate control.
Have you got recirc turned off? Having recirc on will cause misting
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

I believe a variable swash plate compressor is used in the ac systems which is silent and economical...strictly speaking the system should never loose its gas charge as its hermetically sealed...unless you have a leak of course!...beware of people offering air con service as they dont do much only clean the pollen filter!