E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Add up value of CPO?

04-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Sotek
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i xDrive

Add up value of CPO?

I have a 2011 328i xDrive with 60k miles.
Bought it CPO in 2014. CPO expires in June 2017 or 100K miles, whichever comes first.

I presume that a CPO will add value to the car if I sell it...If I trade it in to a BMW dealer will give it zero (or very low?) value, and other dealers usually dont value it much (unless I was lowballed by the other dealer).

Canadian Black Book "Average Asking Price" values the car at roughly 16k USD$ without even asking for mileage or options.

Another popular Canadian Website values it based on mileage and my options to 13600 USD$, which I think makes more sense. But again, no CPO or extended warranty option.

Edit: NADA Guides values the car to 17k having deducted 800$ for the manual trans. and 725$ for the vinyl seats.

Car base model, xDrive, Manual, Black Sapphire, Xenon, black vinyl interior, power seats, sunroof, HiFi sound, and probably what's called "cold weather package" in the US (heated seats and steering wheel). No other options apart from that.

But those appraisal websites don't account for the CPO value, is this something that adds up to the price, or just helps with the sale?

And having a 6-MT seems to be loewring the value by a couple hundreds, but I guess this is only helping finding a potential buyer?

Last edited by Sotek; 04-05-2016 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Added NADA value
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotek View Post
I have a 2011 328i xDrive with 60k miles.
Bought it CPO in 2014. CPO expires in June 2017 or 100K miles, whichever comes first. I presume that a CPO will add value to the car if I sell it...If I trade it in to a BMW dealer will give it zero (or very low?) value, and other dealers usually dont value it much (unless I was lowballed by the other dealer). Canadian Black Book "Average Asking Price" values the car at roughly 16k USD$ without even asking for mileage or options. Another popular Canadian Website values it based on mileage and my options to 13600 USD$, which I think makes more sense. But again, no CPO or extended warranty option. Car base model, xDrive, Manual, Black Sapphire, Xenon, black vinyl interior, power seats, sunroof, HiFi sound, and probably what's called "cold weather package" in the US (heated seats and steering wheel). No other options apart from that. But those appraisal websites don't account for the CPO value, is this something that adds up to the price, or just helps with the sale? And having a 6-MT seems to be loewring the value by a couple hundreds, but I guess this is only helping finding a potential buyer?
Here in the USA, I have never seen any indication that adds value to a sale price for a CPO warranty.

I bought a 2011 335d in November 2015 which had 88K miles and an CPO to 100K, and the selling dealer did not add any additional cost to account for the CPO. In fact, it was not even advertised on the website, and I only discovered that it existed on the car after I had already decided to purchase it.

Now, I can't say that INDIVIDUAL sellers, or BMW dealers, do not jack up sales prices to cover for CPO costs. But from my one example, I know a non-BMW dealership in this case did not jack up the price for the CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

US poster here, so not sure on how BMW Canada does things.
CPO is useful to sell the car private party, icing on the cake. CPO disappears with a NON BMW dealer (in the US), so it's of no value to them in any way.
We paid a small premium for my wife's 2011 335i MSport a few years ago. It was a CPO at dealer, had 3.5 years and 60k miles left. The color and options combo were another main selling point, basically it was THE car she wanted and after 6 months of searching price premium was something we had to deal with.

Anyways, in my search to replace my M5 I am hopeful to get a CPO from a private party to avoid dealer pricing. It's a nice piece of mind.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I don't know if it adds any value where you can sell for a higher amount but it definitely adds an incentive/peace of mind for the buyer if you go the private sale route.

But if you're dealing with a dealership, I'm pretty sure its exactly what you said, when you trade it in, the value of the CPO will probably be very little to none but when the dealership sells it, you bet it's going to carry a higher price tag because of CPO.

$0.02.
Appreciate 0