E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino Application. PC or Hand Applicator?

11-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
digi19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 SSII E92 M3

Zaino Application. PC or Hand Applicator?

Since I already had a PC, I've been applying Z-5 and Z-2 with buffing pads and it works well. I was wondering if it's completely necessary though because Zaino supplies its own foam applicators and DIY videos I've seen show Z-5 and Z-2 being simply rubbed onto the paint surface and not necessary buffed on. What's you input?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I own a Flex, but I apply and remove Zaino (and all LSPs) by hand. IMO, it's easier to do it by hand.

The key to Zaino, and everyone says this but it bears repeating, is to apply it thin. Apply it thin and the protection is the same but it's easy to buff off once it is dry.
      11-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Use your hand and feel how SMOOTH your baby's bottom is after the PC. I can do the whole thing in about 20 minutes, getting around to where I started just about the time its ready to come off.

Like said above, less is more. You'd almost have to get more than you need on the pad just to get started.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
digi19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 SSII E92 M3

Oh yea I'm well aware of how smooth the paint feels. Just the clay bar alone makes a huge difference. I'm just wondering if the PC is really necessary because its not like I'm buffing out any scratches or swirls. Zaino is just a sealant, not really able to resurface the clear. I'm just wondering if I can get away with not having to buy new pads everytime I want to detail a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi19 View Post
Oh yea I'm well aware of how smooth the paint feels. Just the clay bar alone makes a huge difference. I'm just wondering if the PC is really necessary because its not like I'm buffing out any scratches or swirls. Zaino is just a sealant, not really able to resurface the clear. I'm just wondering if I can get away with not having to buy new pads everytime I want to detail a car.
If you aren't polishing, you really don't need a PC. You're correct that the clay makes the paint feel smooth as glass. Polishing afterward levels out the fine scratches and makes it shiny as a mirror.

I am glad I own a machine polisher, even though I only use it a few times a year. I take great care in wash technique, hand wash about once a week, and carefully remove bird droppings and whatnot as soon as I see them. Still, after six months, I'll still have some fine scratches, swirls, and random etching from rain or bird droppings. That's just how it goes with a daily driver. With a clay and light polish twice a year, followed by sealant, the car looks stunning, as good as new. It can be a grueling day or two of detailing, but the results are worth it. You can get the same results by hiring someone for a few hundred bucks, but it's a labor of love and I like doing it myself.

Plus, it's always less stressful to notice some paint damage and be able to say "I can fix that" rather then fretting too much about it.
      12-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's about ENJOYING how smooth your baby is. Like said, it's a sealant and doesn't really respond to the polishing effect of the PC.

If you take care of your pads, you don't need a new set for every car you do. Check out some details on washing/drying your pads, they should last you many cars. It's just having a few on hand for each session that is recommended. I don't think I've thrown out a pad yet, I do about 4-6 cars per, year depending on who I can find to let me carress their (car's) bottom

Best regards,
Wede
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi19 View Post
Since I already had a PC, I've been applying Z-5 and Z-2 with buffing pads and it works well. I was wondering if it's completely necessary though because Zaino supplies its own foam applicators and DIY videos I've seen show Z-5 and Z-2 being simply rubbed onto the paint surface and not necessary buffed on. What's you input?
I use a Porter Cable myself with Zaino (ZAIO, Z5, Z2) ... obviously others get different mileage, but for me its a time saver and it helps me get a thinner, more consistent coat. But it is not necessary ... and products like ZCS or Z8 go on by hand, regardless.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
If you aren't polishing, you really don't need a PC. You're correct that the clay makes the paint feel smooth as glass. Polishing afterward levels out the fine scratches and makes it shiny as a mirror.

I am glad I own a machine polisher, even though I only use it a few times a year. I take great care in wash technique, hand wash about once a week, and carefully remove bird droppings and whatnot as soon as I see them. Still, after six months, I'll still have some fine scratches, swirls, and random etching from rain or bird droppings. That's just how it goes with a daily driver. With a clay and light polish twice a year, followed by sealant, the car looks stunning, as good as new. It can be a grueling day or two of detailing, but the results are worth it. You can get the same results by hiring someone for a few hundred bucks, but it's a labor of love and I like doing it myself.

Plus, it's always less stressful to notice some paint damage and be able to say "I can fix that" rather then fretting too much about it.
Great post BK. I agree 100%, especially the last sentence.
Appreciate 0