E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Which fuse should I tap in my e92?

12-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
ModificaClassica
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i 6-Speed Manual

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [8.76]
Which fuse should I tap in my e92?

I am installing a rear camera and I need a constant +12V and ground. can anybody recommend which to tap? I am going to buy a Fuse Tap at advance auto parts. Camera only uses .05A, and I was told to use a 5A fuse.

If anybody has a link to a DIY thread where this was already done I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Elie
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliemman View Post
I am installing a rear camera and I need a constant +12V and ground. can anybody recommend which to tap? I am going to buy a Fuse Tap at advance auto parts. Camera only uses .05A, and I was told to use a 5A fuse.

If anybody has a link to a DIY thread where this was already done I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Elie
Just connected mine to the fuse box last week. In my case i chose to connect to an empty location. Used a spade on the end of an inline fuse assembly and routed to the trunk. Use a meter to confirm voltage - should have multiple locations to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I would tap the wire going to the reverse lights so it's triggered to go on only when you're in reverse.

Otherwise, it's going to stay on whenever your car is on.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I would tap the wire going to the reverse lights so it's triggered to go on only when you're in reverse.

Otherwise, it's going to stay on whenever your car is on.
In my experience, and apparently others', the reverse light power is not consistent enough for powering the camera. Refer to this post for alternate wiring: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425343

I pulled the relay trigger from my reverse light and camera power from fuse box. I didn't want constant power to be in the camera as you mention.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
In my experience, and apparently others', the reverse light power is not consistent enough for powering the camera. Refer to this post for alternate wiring: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425343

I pulled the relay trigger from my reverse light and camera power from fuse box. I didn't want constant power to be in the camera as you mention.
Gotcha. Have you tried coding? And raising voltage? Or maybe a boost converter?

EDIT: I'm not sure how much current your camera draws but something like this will step up the 11.7v to up to 14v....and anywhere in between. You set the output voltage with the pot on the side of the unit. Input voltage can be anywhere from 2.6V - 14V and the output voltage will remain the same....no dropout. I think this is better than running a wire from your fuse panel to your trunk. I know you need to run an RCA anyway for the video feed but it would cut down on wiring.

If you've never soldered before or don't want to, they sell a breakout board with screw terminals.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/AnyVoltMicro.htm

Last edited by fdriller9; 12-21-2011 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Gotcha. Have you tried coding? And raising voltage? Or maybe a boost converter?

EDIT: I'm not sure how much current your camera draws but something like this will step up the 11.7v to up to 14v....and anywhere in between. You set the output voltage with the pot on the side of the unit. Input voltage can be anywhere from 2.6V - 14V and the output voltage will remain the same....no dropout. I think this is better than running a wire from your fuse panel to your trunk. I know you need to run an RCA anyway for the video feed but it would cut down on wiring.

If you've never soldered before or don't want to, they sell a breakout board with screw terminals.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/AnyVoltMicro.htm
Wow, this is great, thanks! Unfortunately too late for my benefit.

I got a wireless transmitter/receiver for my camera, so no RCA cable routing required. The only wire I ran through the vehicle ended up being the single power wire, but I did that in less than 1 hour (including pulling the trunk liner and rewiring the system with relay circuit).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
Wow, this is great, thanks! Unfortunately too late for my benefit.

I got a wireless transmitter/receiver for my camera, so no RCA cable routing required. The only wire I ran through the vehicle ended up being the single power wire, but I did that in less than 1 hour (including pulling the trunk liner and rewiring the system with relay circuit).
To add, I would put a zener diode on the power wire going into the converter rated for 14v so there is no chance of a spike in voltage blowing it out.
Appreciate 0