E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Rim Cleaning

05-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
cyraschris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Montego Blue 335i E92

Garage List
Question Rim Cleaning

Let me start this thread out by saying I have used , and I am making this to state my situation and make sure that the products I've read about in other threads will solve my problem, or if I need to do something else.

I 'recently' bought used rims, and the previous owner did not take as good of care of them as he claimed (yay internet purchases!). He claimed only about 4,000 miles on them, but from the look of the brake dust build up, he must not have washed them once, and let them sit with the buildup for who knows how many months. I've tried all the 'normal' washing methods (soap and water with mitt and with a bit stiffer brush) and a good deal came off, but there are several deposits that are caked on that even with good amount of force (i.e. scratching off with a finger nail) won't come off.

In the other threads i've seen p21s gel wheel cleaner and sticky gel citrus wheel cleaner mentioned, as well as grime reaper. Will any of these be more likely, or not have any chance in hell, at getting these deposits off my wheels?

I'll try to come back and post a pic or two to show what i'm working with here.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
LOW2000
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 00 Silverado 08 G35S 62 CJ5

What kind of wheels are they? Painted, chrome, polished aluminum w/ or w/o clearcoat?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW2000 View Post
What kind of wheels are they? Painted, chrome, polished aluminum w/ or w/o clearcoat?
Depending on your answer to this, using P21s and letting it soak on there for a while (1-2 hours) should help. But the stuff can be harmful to some types of wheels so get back to us with what you're working with first.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
P21S Total Auto Wash is non corrosive and remove stubborn build up with a bristle brush.

The other product you can try is Amazing Roll-Off, it's non corrosive and safe on many surfaces.

http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html
      05-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
tipstall
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 2.5

Clean the rims with P21 and then wax with Rejex. During the first coat spend quality time rubbing it in, it will clean up the rims big time. Apply second coat, repeat twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
cyraschris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Montego Blue 335i E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW2000 View Post
they are breyton race gts, the silver ones, nothing extra or special done to them, maybe a coat of spray wax from a laser wash at most if it hasn't worn off yet.

and thanks for the replies. with that info, hopefully that'll confirm that p21s, some tlc, and some elbow grease will clean them up and i won't feel like i got ripped buying these
Appreciate 0