E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What day is it today?

05-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #23
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
Just as an FYI, the AFE catted headers are no where close to being stock quiet.
But...that just means more HP, right??? Surely you've jumped on it by now. I'm sound conscious, too, but...gotta know about the gains! You can always tone it down.

I've noticed that the sound of my PE has gotten softer during this second month of having it, which has been commonly reported (break-in period). Think that could happen with the AFE as it ages a little?
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 05-01-2015 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #24
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

I had two 9 inch resonators installed, while it helped the exhaust note is still tinny and obnoxious, the secondary cats are going back on tonight.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #25
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

embrace the loud just a little more longer so we can hear a sound clip
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #26
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Hear? Huh? The PE just isn't suited for anything BUT a stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #27
JDane07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i (sold), MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
For your taste.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #28
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Oh, I don't know, really like mine with the SS headers. Maybe it's a different story without secondaries.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #29
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Yeah, my setup is fun below 3,000 RPM, after... its scary.

PS Im having a custom lip made for my car woo!

and my headlights are being fixed with better LED angel eye rings woo!
      05-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #30
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had two 9 inch resonators installed, while it helped the exhaust note is still tinny and obnoxious, the secondary cats are going back on tonight.
Which resonators did you use? Hope the cats get you where you wanna be.
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #31
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: n52

From my personal experience, my observations are as follows...

-If you run catless headers/AFE headers with a secondary cat delete regardless of the muffler choice, it will rasp.

-Secondary cats are vital for reducing rasp and preventing it from smelling like a lawn mower.

-Catless headers/AFE headers + secondary cats + PE is generally the border line for most people. If you do mostly highway driving then it's a no-go but if all you do is city driving then you might be able to tolerate it.

Best options are stock manifolds + supersprint/AFE secondary cat delete with PE.

If you have to delete the primaries then keep the rest of the stock exhaust system. The backfire/burble won't sound as cool with the stock muffler but the restrictive part of the exhaust system (secondary cat/stock muffler) is not near the engine. So it's a trade off, you get the performance gain/thermal advantages of not having the primary cats but you give up some of the sound.

I personally like the headers plus the stock exhaust system. I know people generally say running catless with a stock exhaust is a no-no but if you have one set of cats still in, it's much better. It's weird to describe, you can still hear the engine working while still being able to wind out the n52 into the upper rpm range (where it actually makes power) without going deaf/attracting unwanted attention. Plus cold starts aren't buck wild anymore, and if you have company in the car it's much less embarrassing. On the other hand I do miss the deep burbles, but I'm happy with my choice.

Source of my information: Too many hours lying on my back on the cold garage floor to figure all this out

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l Mapleridge Headers l 3 Stage Intake Manifold l AA tune l BMW Performance Intake l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3

Last edited by MBP0202; 05-04-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #32
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP0202 View Post
From my personal experience, my observations are as follows...

-If you run catless headers/AFE headers with a secondary cat delete regardless of the muffler choice, it will rasp.

-Secondary cats are vital for reducing rasp and preventing it from smelling like a lawn mower.

-Catless headers/AFE headers + secondary cats + PE is generally the border line for most people. If you do mostly highway driving then it's a no-go but if all you do is city driving then you might be able to tolerate it.

Best options are stock manifolds + supersprint/AFE secondary cat delete with PE.

If you have to delete the primaries then keep the rest of the stock exhaust system. The backfire/burble won't sound as cool with the stock muffler but the restrictive part of the exhaust system (secondary cat/stock muffler) is not near the engine. So it's a trade off, you get the performance gain/thermal advantages of not having the primary cats but you give up some of the sound.

I personally like the headers plus the stock exhaust system. I know people generally say running catless with a stock exhaust is a no-no but if you have one set of cats still in, it's much better. It's weird to describe, you can still hear the engine working while still being able to wind out the n52 into the upper rpm range (where it actually makes power) without going deaf/attracting unwanted attention. Plus cold starts aren't buck wild anymore, and if you have company in the car it's much less embarrassing. On the other hand I do miss the deep burbles, but I'm happy with my choice.

Source of my information: Too many hours lying on my back on the cold garage floor to figure all this out

PS- my signature is out of date. I'm currently running mapleridge headers with the stock exhaust system.
Much better with the secondary cats reinstalled. The sound is very similar to the stock exhaust manifolds with the secondary cats deleted. . . until you get above 4,000 RPM then it gets very loud again but that I think is the result of the PE. Day to day driving it is very tolerable.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #33
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Sound/video clips please!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #34
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sooo... After 3 months of driving with your new setup, whadyathink? Are you happy with the sound? What do you think about power gain with the AFE catted headers...significant, worth it?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #35
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah5411 View Post
Sooo... After 3 months of driving with your new setup, whadyathink? Are you happy with the sound? What do you think about power gain with the AFE catted headers...significant, worth it?
Had you asked this question even one month ago, I would have said no, it wasn't worth it and if you look at it from a dollar and cents standpoint it is definitely not worth it. Here is financial breakdown so you know where I am coming from.

AFE Catted Headers: $1,295.00
Header install: $491.00
Dinan Exhaust to replace the PE: $1599.00
Super Sprint mid pipes which I am not using $279.00
Resinators installed on the mid pipes: $170.00
Baffle for the Dina Y pipe: $100.00
Having a warranty issue with the Dinan muffler: PITA

Total cost for 16 or so horsepower: $3934.00

Having said all that (and damn you for having me relive my financial misery with respect to this exhaust) the car runs very well and the increase in low end torque is very nice. I am about 90 percent pleased with the sound. The only part I do not like with the sound is when the exhaust is cold and I start to drive the initial rasp around 2,000 RPM is annoying but that goes away once the exhaust warms up a bit. If I had to do it all over again starting from scratch knowing what I know now, I would most likely install the catted headers and leave the rest of the exhaust stock. Unfortunately, When I had the PE installed a year ago, I left the stock exhaust with the muffle shop, as I didn't have a need for it.

The mechanic who has worked on my car has a M3 daily driver and races one too. He told me the more he drives my car the more he falls in love with it. He said with the work I have done to it, it handles as well as any stock M3 he has driven and from a dead stop it has as much low end torque as any stock N54 335i he has driven.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #36
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Having said all that (and damn you for having me relive my financial misery with respect to this exhaust) the car runs very well and the increase in low end torque is very nice. I am about 90 percent pleased with the sound. The only part I do not like with the sound is when the exhaust is cold and I start to drive the initial rasp around 2,000 RPM is annoying but that goes away once the exhaust warms up a bit. If I had to do it all over again starting from scratch knowing what I know now, I would most likely install the catted headers and leave the rest of the exhaust stock. Unfortunately, When I had the PE installed a year ago, I left the stock exhaust with the muffle shop, as I didn't have a need for it.
First of all, sorry to have reopened the wounds in order to hear about how you recovered from the surgery. Does it help at all to know that you're in good company here on the forum. It's an expensive PITA to learn things the hard way...been there, done that MANY times.

But...I am glad to hear that you ended up with a workable and, sounds like, quite impressive result. That's the important thing. The past is in the past. One of my current mantras.

I am liking where my car is now but, as we all do, I'm thinking down the road. The next step is obviously headers, but...sounds like the best solution for people like you and me is to do them earlier in the game, putting on the catted headers while leaving the rest of the exhaust stock. We have the same tastes and I think I find myself in the same boat: I'm pretty sure my indy mechanic tossed my stock exhaust. Maybe I'll check in the AM just for grins.

Realistically, headers are a ways off, tho. I just this week am enjoying the fruits of my last 4 month's labors, having finally worked all of the bugs out. Probably should be satisfied for a while...right?...RIGHT??
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:27 PM   #37
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah5411 View Post
First of all, sorry to have reopened the wounds in order to hear about how you recovered from the surgery. Does it help at all to know that you're in good company here on the forum. It's an expensive PITA to learn things the hard way...been there, done that MANY times.

But...I am glad to hear that you ended up with a workable and, sounds like, quite impressive result. That's the important thing. The past is in the past. One of my current mantras.

I am liking where my car is now but, as we all do, I'm thinking down the road. The next step is obviously headers, but...sounds like the best solution for people like you and me is to do them earlier in the game, putting on the catted headers while leaving the rest of the exhaust stock. We have the same tastes and I think I find myself in the same boat: I'm pretty sure my indy mechanic tossed my stock exhaust. Maybe I'll check in the AM just for grins.

Realistically, headers are a ways off, tho. I just this week am enjoying the fruits of my last 4 month's labors, having finally worked all of the bugs out. Probably should be satisfied for a while...right?...RIGHT??
Right! But being satisfied for a while is a relative term, right? I mean the BMW Performance brake kit, with those gold front brake calipers, is an awe inspiring sight; especially at a stop light. And like you, but to a lesser degree obviously, I labored through your last four months too; but I'm very happy you're all sorted out (knock on wood). Truth be told, I like where my car is too, but what I truly need to do is invest $1,000 in an oil cooler. . . but those brakes!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #38
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

sound is tolerable for you now....sound clip!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #39
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right! But being satisfied for a while is a relative term, right? I mean the BMW Performance brake kit, with those gold front brake calipers, is an awe inspiring sight; especially at a stop light. And like you, but to a lesser degree obviously, I labored through your last four months too; but I'm very happy you're all sorted out (knock on wood). Truth be told, I like where my car is too, but what I truly need to do is invest $1,000 in an oil cooler. . . but those brakes!
Ooohhh...you got it baaaad. I feel much better about myself now. Thanks!
Appreciate 0