E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Anyone convert halogen headlights to OSS?

05-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Anyone convert halogen headlights to OSS?

Coming from a halogen set up, no angel eyes. I've been wanting to see and find out if OSS is able to convert headlights with angel eyes.

Aftermarket is out of the question. Has to be OEM and not resorting to buying another set of OEM. Mine are Valeo OEM and I've been told that baking is out of the question and would only access by cutting. If OSS can chime in or anyone that has done the convert, please show, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E93 335i, S50 E30 325i

I'd want to see this.

Not sure about pre-LCI but I have seen a thread of a guy who got OSS AE's put into his Halogen LCI headlights. But his headlights came with angel eyes from factory. I wonder how difficult it would be for you to accomplish this.

I'm sure it's possible for you to get OSS AEs wired to turn on as your DRLs since your DRLs right now are your high beams. I'm no expert on this though. Lol. Perhaps you will be able to disable your high beams and enable the AE's in parking lamp and auto mode, but enable the high beam when you need to use the high beam while driving.

Idk though, haha.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiRoc View Post
I'd want to see this.

Not sure about pre-LCI but I have seen a thread of a guy who got OSS AE's put into his Halogen LCI headlights. But his headlights came with angel eyes from factory. I wonder how difficult it would be for you to accomplish this.

I'm sure it's possible for you to get OSS AEs wired to turn on as your DRLs since your DRLs right now are your high beams. I'm no expert on this though. Lol. Perhaps you will be able to disable your high beams and enable the AE's in parking lamp and auto mode, but enable the high beam when you need to use the high beam while driving.

Idk though, haha.

Good luck!
This guy said he did it. hmm

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673820
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

I know bodybump did it
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
I know bodybump did it
Yeah ^ link above is it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
g_rant
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Jason if you have an extra set of halogens, can I have them for cheap? My friends wanna try cutting it with a dremel and doing a projector and AE retrofit. Dont wanna use mine..
      05-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rant View Post
Jason if you have an extra set of halogens, can I have them for cheap? My friends wanna try cutting it with a dremel and doing a projector and AE retrofit. Dont wanna use mine..
Soon I'll have some that are fine other than the scratched up front lens. I'm thinking if you are already cutting the front off maybe you can try it on my housing and then use your lens when you test fit them on the car and decide for sure you like it? I'd sell mine just PM me if interested. My OEM xenons are going in tonight if all goes well.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rant View Post
Nah I'm still gonna use them to convert next year and it's my back up.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

baking is definitely out of the question... i recently put in LCI halogens to replace my pre-LCI halogens. I tried to bake at 300degrees for 10 minutes, and the headlight itself started to melt and all the mounting points melted down; the glue didn't even budge. It was just an experiment just to see what it took to get them open, but it seems much harder than it appears. One headlight is open, but i'm going to try and BOIL the other one open... tools necessary are sort of hard to find. (huge 50qt metal drum with a hot plate hot enough to boil that much water). If that works, i'll post up a DIY, if not... well, looks like i'm tossing some old pre-lci headlights in the garbage lol

As for the OSS question, you can mount Angel Eyes in ANY headlight.. people have even fitted them in their fog lights. My ex put angel eyes in her Jeep Grand Cherokee headlights so its doable, just the method of doing so is the difficult part.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

That's the thing about my OEM Pre-LCI they won't open unless cut, that's why I only want OSS to handle them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0OS3 View Post
baking is definitely out of the question... i recently put in LCI halogens to replace my pre-LCI halogens. I tried to bake at 300degrees for 10 minutes, and the headlight itself started to melt and all the mounting points melted down; the glue didn't even budge. It was just an experiment just to see what it took to get them open, but it seems much harder than it appears. One headlight is open, but i'm going to try and BOIL the other one open... tools necessary are sort of hard to find. (huge 50qt metal drum with a hot plate hot enough to boil that much water). If that works, i'll post up a DIY, if not... well, looks like i'm tossing some old pre-lci headlights in the garbage lol

As for the OSS question, you can mount Angel Eyes in ANY headlight.. people have even fitted them in their fog lights. My ex put angel eyes in her Jeep Grand Cherokee headlights so its doable, just the method of doing so is the difficult part.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Hi.Red.Devil View Post
That's the thing about my OEM Pre-LCI they won't open unless cut, that's why I only want OSS to handle them.
open them up with a dremel and just glue them together and put a good seal around it and you're good. Electrical wiring is super easy... there's a few DIY on doing just that.
OSS is going to charge anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on what you want to get done, in addition to the waiting list. (EVERYONE wants OSS so they're always swamped with customers)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

try lightwerkz.com nothing but positive reviews.
Appreciate 0