E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DTUK - CRD-T Multichannel System Review

04-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

CRD-T Multichannel System

After my LCI E90 320D came to its 6 months old point I finally decided to do something about the drop in power I faced when I got the new car. Previously I run a e46 320D M Sport which remapped pushed near 193bhp. Thus the 177 in new one felt a tad slow.

To make things more difficult I discovered that due to my car being May 09 it had the new locked ECU. Which left only a ECU out process to install a remapp. This being a bit too invasive for my liking especially if I need to put car back to stock quickly left only one option tuning boxes.

Having had bad experience of these 5 years ago in my VAG I was a bit apprehensive about using one. This is where Andrew from DTUK came in, absolute star, took time to answer all my queries and put me at great ease. Explaining the new tech and how things have advanced as well as covering the now wide choice of options for the 320D.

His customer service is something a lot of firms could learn from at times scary when he replies to your email at 9/10pm . I think the man is addicted to his blackberry lol. He seems to be always there to help and assist.

Currently he offers a Single and Multichannel Systems, each having its own merits.

> Single channel the box only plugs into the common rail sensor and controls/picks up those readings. Giving easiest install but in my view least adaptive system

>> CRD-T Multichannel System (Dual Channel) box connects to common rail and boost sensor allowing for better power, adjustment and flexibility of the map.

>>> CRD-T Multichannel System (3 channel ) the top model of the three connects to common rail, boost sensor and crank sensor. Most powerful of the three giving the mapping ability of nearly a full map. However with 3 plugs plus a power tap the most complex to fit.

Andrew is a top salesman, patiently first provided me with the 3 channel as I wanted to go for this to get the best of the upgrade but after I found I could not get it easily installed (My hands just don’t fit under the engine cowling.) he sent out the two channel and all information I needed promptly and without any hassle. Once again was at hand to offer any information and answer all my question.

I settled for the CRD-T Multichannel System, primarily as for some twisted reason and too big hands I could not easily get the crank sensor off and since I wanted something easy to remove fighting with the sensor for 30 minutes kind a put me off the module. Real shame as its th best of the lot giving the most efficient mapping system.

However having gone for the two channel system I cant complain. The results are outstanding. The box comes with 4 different programs each also has the ability to be tweaked +/- 10,20,30%. This gives you ability to find a map and tune that most suits your driving style. Switching between them is as simple as moving couple of jumper switches.

The various programs allow you to adjust ands et how the power is applied and over what range. For example one programs the car feels almost stock when at lower revs but the extra power comes in higher on the rev range. It all comes down to flexibility and choosing which programs you suits you best.

Either one I chose I found the car drove much better and ever the fuel economy improved.

Journey of 40miles in medium traffic - ( 5 miles 30mph, than M3, M25, A40 speeds between 50mph and 70mph) when car was new I got around 57-59mpg which I was impressed previously in my e46 I managed 52mpg (remap) with the box this had risen to 60/62mpg and that’s with the last few miles usually in stop start crawling A40 traffic.

On steady 50mpg cruise (we have lot of spec road works here right now) I've managed as high as 68.8mpg.

But at same time a quick squeeze of throttle gives you that nice reminder of the extra power on tap.

Apart from the fuel savings I found he car idled slightly lower that standard about 700rpm then usual 800rpm making it quieter and smoother. Driving along it now pulls for longer and harder instead of running out of steam at 3000rpm. Also one of the great things is the flat spot / lack of power I had around 1000rpm which now has gone.

Having done few test runs on one of the maps car has registered around 210bhp though need to get it on a dyno to confirm these and get accurate readings.

The Installation is a breeze.

First remove the engine cover (Note you might wish to cover the intake trim in front of the engine cover to avoid scratching it)

Ensure engine has been turned off and all auxiliary processes have stopped. (You can hear them running even if you just unlock the car)

Best I found is unlock the car if car was not running, open the door so it doesn’t relock and give it 5-10 minutes at least.

Unplug the common rain plug and the boost sensors and plug in the loom for the tuning box.

Routing the cable and box placement you have two options

Option 1.
If you wish to hide it out of sight then running it to the left of the engine bay is best. Run cables and tuck them under the windscreen washer hose, then round the air box and under the ground cables (big plug just squeezes through) and attach the box with some Velcro pads to the wheel arch liner.

Option 2
Run the cabling from the engine to the right of the engine bay and under the coolant box and then velcro the box on the right wheel arch liner. This prevents having to coil the cables and makes it easy to get to the box and change the programs.

Once you plugged it all in replace engine cover, ensure you tuck the new plugs safely into the spaces around the connectors so not to crunch or kink the cables/plugs to much. Make sure you locate the engine cover correctly into the rear cover mounts. You will notice the engine cover has two locating lugs onto he back which plug into holding plugs in the back of the engine bay. If you miss it will result in nasty rattle that you will think something has fallen off in the car.

And finally enjoy.

One thing I would also recommend is that you change the paper filter to a pipercross panel. While there is a lot of chat on is it worth it due to the cost and its just easier and cheaper to change the paper more often , I find its not the case.

Firstly especially with the map the pipercross allows engine to breath a lot better. (For example on my old e46 without a pipercross even with brand new OEM filter I would puff smoke under hard acceleration) - with pipercross no soot

With the pipercross I found engine to run smoother and when pushed rev and run easier as if less resistance was present. As I also found that OEM paper filter once dirty loosy its efficiency far quicker than pipercross it became a easy choice that a pipercross panel is a good addition when running a map or a box.

Last edited by magic77; 04-13-2010 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
aspire_right
Aspire_right
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

CRD-T update

Hi
thanks for the great write up

now looking to get one of these for my 8m old 320D 177 Msport

do you have any feedback to add now that it's been in use for a couple of months?

I read your "rant" about the injectors , and just wanted to check that this problem wasn't in any way connected with the extra power from the CRD-T ?

also in terms of the settings, I'd be looking to improve low end torque and overtaking grunt in 4th - is there any particular setting which you ave found to be the best all round option?
cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

I too had the dual channel installed, however i changed my filter to K&N.

Only recently i had to take the car into BMW for a SatNav upgrade and once the box was back on, the next day it had an engine light which went after a few hours.

But to be on the safe side i did take the car to Andrew and he looked into it, seemed like a temporary glitch but good service all round.

I too would love to see some dyno results especially when mine was at 143 BHP to start with....

Seems to be doing a good job so far (touch wood )
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I've used K&N in past but after too many Aif Flow Sensor problems on my VAG I went to pipercross who dont oil the filter on both sides and thus ensures the MAF doesnt get clogged with oil and burn up.

Did not want to get a return of problems so stuck with pipercross, great results as well

As for the box itselft its great still gives a smile when you put your foot down. My issue with the fuel was down to a leak in the sensor a faulty seal nothing to do with the box. More case of unlucky with a part.

All in all a great result just case of finding time to get it to dyno

Last edited by magic77; 06-02-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
aspire_right
Aspire_right
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

OK thanks i'll take the plunge!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Hi Magic.

What program/setting are you running with your box, at the moment?
      07-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Currently running program 2 and have two new maps from Andrew to test hopefully will get to that this week.
      07-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

So, the correct procedure is to try it on Prog 2, leave the fine tuning alone, then try prog 3 and then Prog 4, find the prog you like, THEN play with fine tuning?
      07-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #9
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Each program has different maps its prudent to run on each map for few fule tanks (unless really bad resuls are apparent) Then once you find one that runs best for your drivign style start tweaking it.
      07-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Whats the different between a program, and a fine tune?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #11
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Depends on which box you purchase.

My box has 4 programs (maps) coded onto the device. Once you activate a specific map using a jumper you can then vary the coding +/- 10% using another set of jumpers.

Gives you ability to "fine tune" a map to each engine. Having looked into this for example two identical cars one might run better with program 1 on default while another better on program 1 +10%.

Mine for example runs well on program 1 +10% or program 2 on default.
      07-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Can you really tell the difference between settings? Without being able to change them while actually driving, I'd be worried that I'd not be able to tell the difference?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

You can certainly tell the difference between the various maps. As for 10% =/- to get it spot on probably a dyno runs are the key , though just changing it and then driving back to back with settings you can tell and hear. How is the car pulling, is it idling correctly etc.
      10-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
chrisbmwcy
Second Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 2016 DCT Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
Depends on which box you purchase.

My box has 4 programs (maps) coded onto the device. Once you activate a specific map using a jumper you can then vary the coding +/- 10% using another set of jumpers.

Gives you ability to "fine tune" a map to each engine. Having looked into this for example two identical cars one might run better with program 1 on default while another better on program 1 +10%.

Mine for example runs well on program 1 +10% or program 2 on default.
Hey magic man. I just installed it yesterday on mine and the performance increase is very very noticeable. I tried both maps u mentioned 1 +10 % and the 2 programm. Have u tried any other map settings? Which map gives the most? Which map gives most torque from the low rpm range?

Past: F36 430d Gran Coupe M-Sport Alpine White - DMS Remap, E92 320d Crismson Red M-Sport, R56 Mini Cooper S. Mazda RX8 Type-S Japan Import, E46 320ci LCI Convertible M-Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

How does this product affect the 6HP19 tranny?

The box is rated at 400nm, but I see this device puts out 475nm on the newer 135kw/380nm 320d's.

Does cause issues for the auto?

Thx

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #16
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Good write up

hope you have declared to the insurance, because any dealer is bound to find the box, in an event they need to open the engine bay cover.
      10-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Good write up

hope you have declared to the insurance, because any dealer is bound to find the box, in an event they need to open the engine bay cover.
      10-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
chrisbmwcy
Second Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD View Post
How does this product affect the 6HP19 tranny?

The box is rated at 400nm, but I see this device puts out 475nm on the newer 135kw/380nm 320d's.

Does cause issues for the auto?

Thx
The 184bhp model auto box has a higher rated torque converter and it can handle more torque than the 177bhp model.

Even if the torque is too much after the install you can easily fine tune it to lower the power according to you preferences.

I have the crd-t installed on my 177bhp model and the difference is day and night. Extra torque.. Almost no turbo lag.. And the car pulls up to the max rev range,where as before the boost was running out at around 3800 rpm.

In my own opinion the specific tuning box is the best Alternative to a remap.I chose this as my ecu was locked due to dealer updates. And seriously I never expected this kind of gains from a 2.0 diesel engine!

Past: F36 430d Gran Coupe M-Sport Alpine White - DMS Remap, E92 320d Crismson Red M-Sport, R56 Mini Cooper S. Mazda RX8 Type-S Japan Import, E46 320ci LCI Convertible M-Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
QLD
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbmwcy View Post
The 184bhp model auto box has a higher rated torque converter and it can handle more torque than the 177bhp model.
Thx for the info.... would you happen to have a link to a site that confirms this info about the TC?

I have searched everywhere and can find no confirmation that it is rated any higher than 400nm.

Cheers..

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
chrisbmwcy
Second Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD View Post
Thx for the info.... would you happen to have a link to a site that confirms this info about the TC?

I have searched everywhere and can find no confirmation that it is rated any higher than 400nm.

Cheers..

When I was looking at the performance package from BMW my model needed a torque converter and yours didn't. I cross referenced this with posts and other info from the net and I read that the new model handles more torque. If I find the info I'll send u the link.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
QLD
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbmwcy View Post
I cross referenced this with posts and other info from the net and I read that the new model handles more torque. If I find the info I'll send u the link.
Thanks - that would be great.... Unfortunetly I and others can find no info that confirms that, so it would be appreciated.

Cheers..

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #22
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

I installed mine today, running program 1 + 30%, Will play with the other programs another day.

Great new toy!
Appreciate 0