E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My short-lived BMW ecstasy

07-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

My short-lived BMW ecstasy

Hi

Need fellow BMW-owners perspective on my dilemma. I used to drive a Mazda3, lovely little car, but one day I accompanied a friend in shopping for a 328i and just loved the feel of that car. Long story short, I ended up trading in my Mazda (at a very good price - almost the price I got it for!) for a 2008 335i with 44k miles on it - about 6 months back. Lovely car, its what a car should feel like in my dreams. I was elated. Also purchased extended warranty with the expectation of living happily ever after.

After that - its been only problems! First, after a short drive to Mt Hamilton the car showed BRAKE lights with the car lift icon. Turned out to be the rear brake. Took it to the dealer and asked him to do it for free, since I had just bought the car (45 days since I bought it). The dealer first argued it was an "as is" sale and the werent obliged to pay for it, but then after some time came back and said "its been taken care of this time" and that it was a sensor thing.

And then a month later suddenly one day my car started leaking coolant! Took it in, cost me around $300 to get it fixed! Turned out to be some kind of valve. Took me multiple visits because they kept topping it up with water and sending me away! Luckily on one of the trips it leaked visibly when I was talking to the service advisor and I could say "look! its leaking!".

Next, after a month I notice this grinding sound at slow, parking speeds. I think it may have always been there but my friend pointed out and then I realized its there. Especially when turning it moving slowly without any throttle, in an incline. Took it to the dealer, couldn't replicate this. Took my car back. Then reading extensively on this, I figured out several 3 series and 5 series owners (including some BRAND NEW cars) have this problem, and the closest anyone has come to a diagnosis is some issue with the ARS block. Or an idling issue. Or a software issue. No one seems to know.

Later I took the car in to an indy shop, they couldn't diagnose it either. They asked for my permission to take the whole thing apart and study it, and I politely declined. At the same time, my left indicator bulb failed, and thankfully this indy shop just replaced it for $15. However, in looking at this they seem to think that the car has "definitely been in some kind of accident", because some frame kind of thing (I dont remember the exact word they used) was replaced, but replaced well. The carfax report shows no such accident!

And then.. was on a long drive in the middle of nowhere with my family, throwing the car along some nice curvy hill roads, having a blast.. when a RED alert showing the car lift appeared, making that "ding" sound, and then a red BRAKE light appeared and stayed on. Doing "check control" revealed the front brake icon this time. I had no idea what that meant (brake pads or rotors or fluid or what.. I'm really not a handson guy), I didnt stop the car, I just took a risk and drove back, staying in the slow lane and periodically dabbing the brakes to make sure they were working. Thankfully made it back home (with a cancelled long weekend) with family, without incident.

Took it back to the dealer, apparently the brakes need to be replaced ("due for replacement") and it costs around a thousand bucks!

I did purchase extended warranty with the car but of course, none of these items are covered by warranty.

Now I am really done with this car. Enough is enough. I need to trade it in and get something that actually works. Something that I can safely put my family into, and be 100% sure will reach my destination. Nothing against BMW, these cars are GREAT, but now I feel like these are for people who can afford them brand new, not average joes like me with a $20k budget. And it beats my why people pay 10 bucks for a carfax report when these things can go unreported!

Its not the time, or even the $$ that ticks me off. It is the fact that these things just pop up suddenly, and they are scary. I just cannot go on a long drive in this car, especially with my family in it. Every time one of these failures happen, I ask the dealer "please do a full checkup" and "is the car good for a cross country drive" and they always affirm a resounding "YES". But it seems, whenever I take the car more than 100 miles from my city, the car comes up with something or other and that is scary!

Anyway now my dilemma is... once I get this BRAKE issue fixed, what do I trade it in for? I rented an Altima for this weekend and I find it is horrendous to drive (sorry Altima owners - thats just my perception). I test drove an Accord and its much better than the Altima, but has no soul. I can do a budget of around 25k (perhaps stretch to 30ish). I personally dislike Toyotas.

So my dilemma is.. its almost, as if by design, the cars that drive well are not reliable. The reliable cars drive horribly. Why is that?! Looks like my options are:
- Accord I4 EXL - Sacrifice performance / feel for that reliability. However I cant live with a CVT
- Mazda6 - Maybe I should go back to Mazda? My Mazda3 was fun to chuck around (though nothing comparable to BMW feel) but is it comparatively good in its segment?
- GTI - I dont know about this... From reading ownership reports, VW/Audi reliability seems to be even worse than BMWs. Some GTI owners (even recently) report their NEW cars dying out on the freeway, and having HPFP issues. Thats scary! However (next to BMW feel) I love how this car drives!
- Ford Fusion? Is that good? Are Fords reliable now?
- Accord V6 - A bit faster than I4 but still no soul...

After this experience I am shy of used cars (and shy of even new cars when it comes to German!) but should I still consider:
- A lightly used G37 for 30k-ish?
- A lightly used 328i (F30) or stretch a little bit to a new 320i? Are the 320s good? It would be a barebones stripped car with no luxury features but I figure I can still have BMW-levels of fun tossing it in curvy roads, right? Or, do fresh-from-factory BMWs have issues too? I am once bitten and very very shy now!

Also, should I consider Subarus? Are those reliable? Are they fun to drive from a BMW-drivers perspective?

Problem is, after driving the 335i every car seems to be "lame". Looks like I pampered myself with one of the best cars out there, way before I am able to afford it. And going back to an economy car is not a savory experience . But if it comes down to having a car that works or not, I guess its better to go back!

Oh and cars like Speed3, Civic Si are out of the equation because I need an automatic. Also, need four doors. Those are for family reasons beyond my control.

What would you do, in my situation? I need something that will be reliable, will stay reliable, that I can trust every single time, service as per schedule and at other times fill gas and just drive it, and still have fun with the occasional backroad. Does that car exist, or is it a rich mans thing now? Is that car the 320i?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

These cars are finicky but I don't see much wrong here.

Trust me, there are much, much worse stories about 335's on here. I could tell some of my own.

Looks like you just needed to have your brake pads replaced both times the brake light came on. Were you expecting them to last the life of the vehicle? They aren't usually a warranty covered item either.

I'd just keep driving it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Its the nature of beast of owning bmw imho you been lucky with what went "wrong" this stuff isnt that bad. But I understand your conern in way. Those clowns at dealer I dont even take it to them unless its recall. I do admit bmw's take some tinkering from time to time - but its not horrible you know as long as your willing to mess around once in while they arnt drive and forget cars for sure in most cases.

You need to DIY on these cars otherwise they arnt affordable your right about that for sure. 600$ for battery cable on mine...ya I bought INPA setup to diagnose myself no reason to go to dealer after that.

I had same thought as you about week ago, maybe trade it. Honestly nothing compares you will have to downgrade if you will.

For other cars I recommend maybe Kia's or chevy cruze eco, I really love the eco the interior is fairly nice options are good and MPG's are definitely nice.

Again I say keep the car do the brakes yourself in driveway there is plenty of DIY's you can do it yourself for roughly 350$ all four brakes. Your issues are not bad.
      07-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks, See5. Its not about replacing the brake pads, I can totally understand but I do need to know what else needs to be done upfront, and the dealer seems to have no clue either. I'm just glad the other issue - the coolant thing - happened while I was still in town, not on that long drive! It feels like things are waiting to fail one by one, and if I cant tell what needs replacing and neither can a dealer, thats unreliable - isn't it?

Its the combination of all these things, especially that grinding sound combined with the fact that the indy shop thinks it may have been involved in a frontal accident, WITH these niggles suddenly showing up.. feels very Un-Premuim. And my taking time off work for "car trouble" has gone beyond the office joke to "dont talk about it, poor guy" status . People genuinely hesitate to get into my car when going for team lunches and thats embarrassing!

Any suggestions what you would buy IF you were a not-very-handson guy like me, but who enjoys driving nevertheless?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

You'll have a ton of fun on the back roads with a 320/328. You can get a new 320 or a like new 328 with no miles on it and it will handle well. I'm sorry for your experience and what happened...it's just unfortunate and obviously a bummer. I've been pleased with my cars but every once and awhile you hear about these kind of stories...which probably means the previous owner didn't have the best of luck either and traded it in by taking a hit.

I wish you the best in your search. I would recommend a CPO 328 or a new/like new 320.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Yeah, a CPO 328 Sport is a good choice. I probably should've went that route myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
what about an s2000? those things are bulletproof. frs/brz should be fun and reliable too
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Prem

I agree 328 sport or M sport!
2014 X5 50i M-Pkg
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
I recommend whatever you buy to pay for a PPI @ a well known Indy in your area. They would have spotted the Frame concern and warned you about it in addition to the brake pad condition (length of life left). One really needs to do homework prior to buying any used BMW or car in general. GL.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Hi

Need fellow BMW-owners perspective on my dilemma. I used to drive a Mazda3, lovely little car, but one day I accompanied a friend in shopping for a 328i and just loved the feel of that car. Long story short, I ended up trading in my Mazda (at a very good price - almost the price I got it for!) for a 2008 335i with 44k miles on it - about 6 months back. Lovely car, its what a car should feel like in my dreams. I was elated. Also purchased extended warranty with the expectation of living happily ever after.

After that - its been only problems! First, after a short drive to Mt Hamilton the car showed BRAKE lights with the car lift icon. Turned out to be the rear brake. Took it to the dealer and asked him to do it for free, since I had just bought the car (45 days since I bought it). The dealer first argued it was an "as is" sale and the werent obliged to pay for it, but then after some time came back and said "its been taken care of this time" and that it was a sensor thing.

And then a month later suddenly one day my car started leaking coolant! Took it in, cost me around $300 to get it fixed! Turned out to be some kind of valve. Took me multiple visits because they kept topping it up with water and sending me away! Luckily on one of the trips it leaked visibly when I was talking to the service advisor and I could say "look! its leaking!".

Next, after a month I notice this grinding sound at slow, parking speeds. I think it may have always been there but my friend pointed out and then I realized its there. Especially when turning it moving slowly without any throttle, in an incline. Took it to the dealer, couldn't replicate this. Took my car back. Then reading extensively on this, I figured out several 3 series and 5 series owners (including some BRAND NEW cars) have this problem, and the closest anyone has come to a diagnosis is some issue with the ARS block. Or an idling issue. Or a software issue. No one seems to know.

Later I took the car in to an indy shop, they couldn't diagnose it either. They asked for my permission to take the whole thing apart and study it, and I politely declined. At the same time, my left indicator bulb failed, and thankfully this indy shop just replaced it for $15. However, in looking at this they seem to think that the car has "definitely been in some kind of accident", because some frame kind of thing (I dont remember the exact word they used) was replaced, but replaced well. The carfax report shows no such accident!

And then.. was on a long drive in the middle of nowhere with my family, throwing the car along some nice curvy hill roads, having a blast.. when a RED alert showing the car lift appeared, making that "ding" sound, and then a red BRAKE light appeared and stayed on. Doing "check control" revealed the front brake icon this time. I had no idea what that meant (brake pads or rotors or fluid or what.. I'm really not a handson guy), I didnt stop the car, I just took a risk and drove back, staying in the slow lane and periodically dabbing the brakes to make sure they were working. Thankfully made it back home (with a cancelled long weekend) with family, without incident.

Took it back to the dealer, apparently the brakes need to be replaced ("due for replacement") and it costs around a thousand bucks!

I did purchase extended warranty with the car but of course, none of these items are covered by warranty.

Now I am really done with this car. Enough is enough. I need to trade it in and get something that actually works. Something that I can safely put my family into, and be 100% sure will reach my destination. Nothing against BMW, these cars are GREAT, but now I feel like these are for people who can afford them brand new, not average joes like me with a $20k budget. And it beats my why people pay 10 bucks for a carfax report when these things can go unreported!

Its not the time, or even the $$ that ticks me off. It is the fact that these things just pop up suddenly, and they are scary. I just cannot go on a long drive in this car, especially with my family in it. Every time one of these failures happen, I ask the dealer "please do a full checkup" and "is the car good for a cross country drive" and they always affirm a resounding "YES". But it seems, whenever I take the car more than 100 miles from my city, the car comes up with something or other and that is scary!

Anyway now my dilemma is... once I get this BRAKE issue fixed, what do I trade it in for? I rented an Altima for this weekend and I find it is horrendous to drive (sorry Altima owners - thats just my perception). I test drove an Accord and its much better than the Altima, but has no soul. I can do a budget of around 25k (perhaps stretch to 30ish). I personally dislike Toyotas.

So my dilemma is.. its almost, as if by design, the cars that drive well are not reliable. The reliable cars drive horribly. Why is that?! Looks like my options are:
- Accord I4 EXL - Sacrifice performance / feel for that reliability. However I cant live with a CVT
- Mazda6 - Maybe I should go back to Mazda? My Mazda3 was fun to chuck around (though nothing comparable to BMW feel) but is it comparatively good in its segment?
- GTI - I dont know about this... From reading ownership reports, VW/Audi reliability seems to be even worse than BMWs. Some GTI owners (even recently) report their NEW cars dying out on the freeway, and having HPFP issues. Thats scary! However (next to BMW feel) I love how this car drives!
- Ford Fusion? Is that good? Are Fords reliable now?
- Accord V6 - A bit faster than I4 but still no soul...

After this experience I am shy of used cars (and shy of even new cars when it comes to German!) but should I still consider:
- A lightly used G37 for 30k-ish?
- A lightly used 328i (F30) or stretch a little bit to a new 320i? Are the 320s good? It would be a barebones stripped car with no luxury features but I figure I can still have BMW-levels of fun tossing it in curvy roads, right? Or, do fresh-from-factory BMWs have issues too? I am once bitten and very very shy now!

Also, should I consider Subarus? Are those reliable? Are they fun to drive from a BMW-drivers perspective?

Problem is, after driving the 335i every car seems to be "lame". Looks like I pampered myself with one of the best cars out there, way before I am able to afford it. And going back to an economy car is not a savory experience . But if it comes down to having a car that works or not, I guess its better to go back!

Oh and cars like Speed3, Civic Si are out of the equation because I need an automatic. Also, need four doors. Those are for family reasons beyond my control.

What would you do, in my situation? I need something that will be reliable, will stay reliable, that I can trust every single time, service as per schedule and at other times fill gas and just drive it, and still have fun with the occasional backroad. Does that car exist, or is it a rich mans thing now? Is that car the 320i?

Based on what i read here, it seems like u r not that much of a gearhead. If i were to make a constructive suggestion it would be the following. You should not buy used cars, it would make more sense for u to lease new vehicles. Second, you should not buy euro cars, get japanese cars (they are easier to maintain).

I hope u take my wording in a tone where a friend is giving another friend a serious heart to heart honest feedback. Not one where i am making fun of or talking down to you.

I got my 335xi as a low mileage cpo and i went over every detail of the car. Had a private party inspection and carfax. Had 1yr factory warrenty and 2 yrs cpo to work out issues (had no issues). My car is rock solid... But i keep on top of everything. Its my wife's daily driver and never left her stranded yet.

Your issues of brake pads/rotors should have come up on the CBS each time u started the car. also the dealership should have told u about it at time of purchase. You got a raw deal... But nothing major for wear/tear items. Water pumps on these cars go out randomly too. Its just part of the game where u gotta pay to play.

Last edited by fazman; 07-07-2013 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks shata, See5, TrentOSU. I think I need to take a look at a CPO 328 or a 320.

@"i dunno", I wish! I need a four door for family reasons. Otherwise there are so many options .

ken1137, yes lesson learned. However, what do you think my situation will be even with a CPO or one that an indy shop thinks is a "good car"? Will it have that level of reliability that say, an uncle two states away calls me and says "take a couple of days off and drive over", and I get into my car, fill gas and get on the highway without batting an eyelid?

fazman: no offense taken and I agree with you too! I am not a "gearhead", I don't think of myself as one at all. I am someone who watches Top Gear in the evenings, likes driving, especially cars that offer some kind of road feel and handle well (at road speeds - not talking about racetrack stuff by "handling"). I've never experienced understeer or oversteer (well, rarely). However, I do appreciate steering feel, good passing power, chuckability, a generally road-hugging car. I can tell the difference between a FWD and an RWD when I am driving. For an analogy, I enjoy EATING good food but don't know the first thing about cooking. If that analogy makes sense.

Do you think a guy like me (am sure there are thousands like me) deserve to enjoy a good car? It would be sad if the answer is no. You shouldn't have to know how to make a movie, before you can watch Jurassic Park or Avatar and enjoy it. Right?

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant. Anyway, I agree with you that I should probably "go Japanese" and stay away from Bimmers, GTIs etc. What would you get - Accord or Mazda6? Or would you still go for that 320i?

Thinking about it, its almost like the Japanese and Germans had some kind of pact: "You make the fun cars, we'll make the reliable cars, we'll stay away from each others forte".

I guess the question I'm really trying to articulate is, what should be my quest now:
a) "Find the most enjoyable Japanese car"
or
b) "Find the most reliable German car".
Either way, not much choice in the given budget I guess.

Last edited by newoldbeemer; 07-07-2013 at 01:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Well, I for one dont place much emphasis on CPO. BMW dealers, not all, but some have been known to use it solely to jack up the price of a car and some have even tagged 'lemons' as CPO. There was a law suit on the East Coast and I think Sara504 had one. Yes, I believe a PPI at a well known Indy will help improve the 'reliability aspect' of any used car. EG they can spot certain things that you may not see or be aware of prior to purchase. GL ! maybe it's worth another try with BMW I am on my 4th used BMW and no major issues, but I could've just screwed myself

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137
Well, I for one dont place much emphasis on CPO. BMW dealers, not all, but some have been known to use it solely to jack up the price of a car and some have even tagged 'lemons' as CPO. There was a law suit on the East Coast and I think Sara504 had one. Yes, I believe a PPI at a well known Indy will help improve the 'reliability aspect' of any used car. EG they can spot certain things that you may not see or be aware of prior to purchase. GL ! maybe it's worth another try with BMW I am on my 4th used BMW and no major issues, but I could've just screwed myself
I'm on my 4th used BMW as well and no issues yet. If you purchase from a reputable dealer and have the car inspected private party, you're fine. My last two CPO's (one is current) have had manufacturer warranty still attached to it and I've been totally okay. Are the lemon car that common?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Should have done your hw on the car and warranty and what it covers. Should also learn more about how to take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #15
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks shata, See5, TrentOSU. I think I need to take a look at a CPO 328 or a 320.

@"i dunno", I wish! I need a four door for family reasons. Otherwise there are so many options .

ken1137, yes lesson learned. However, what do you think my situation will be even with a CPO or one that an indy shop thinks is a "good car"? Will it have that level of reliability that say, an uncle two states away calls me and says "take a couple of days off and drive over", and I get into my car, fill gas and get on the highway without batting an eyelid?

fazman: no offense taken and I agree with you too! I am not a "gearhead", I don't think of myself as one at all. I am someone who watches Top Gear in the evenings, likes driving, especially cars that offer some kind of road feel and handle well (at road speeds - not talking about racetrack stuff by "handling"). I've never experienced understeer or oversteer (well, rarely). However, I do appreciate steering feel, good passing power, chuckability, a generally road-hugging car. I can tell the difference between a FWD and an RWD when I am driving. For an analogy, I enjoy EATING good food but don't know the first thing about cooking. If that analogy makes sense.

Do you think a guy like me (am sure there are thousands like me) deserve to enjoy a good car? It would be sad if the answer is no. You shouldn't have to know how to make a movie, before you can watch Jurassic Park or Avatar and enjoy it. Right?

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant. Anyway, I agree with you that I should probably "go Japanese" and stay away from Bimmers, GTIs etc. What would you get - Accord or Mazda6? Or would you still go for that 320i?

Thinking about it, its almost like the Japanese and Germans had some kind of pact: "You make the fun cars, we'll make the reliable cars, we'll stay away from each others forte".

I guess the question I'm really trying to articulate is, what should be my quest now:
a) "Find the most enjoyable Japanese car"
or
b) "Find the most reliable German car".
Either way, not much choice in the given budget I guess.

Need more info, what is ur budget? What kinda car u looking for (auto/stick, 2/4 door, 2wd/awd, goals).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4cs 2020

if you bought the extended warranty whats to worry about? they ( dealership ) shouldn't be giving you any problems.. change dealerships , they seem like douches ,

with my car - man they go all out every single time, you have to remember bmw SAs and Techs get paid by the job they do - so they will always go above and beyond to do more than they have to ...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #17
Bender
To Start Press Any Key, Where's the Anykey?
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 XDrive MSport

Get a tsx, reliable, kinda fun to drive and fits ur budget

It's no BMW but it won't scare ya with an unannounced ding either, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #18
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Need more info, what is ur budget? What kinda car u looking for (auto/stick, 2/4 door, 2wd/awd, goals).
Thanks for responding! My goals are very specific now:
- Budget is 30k, preferably 25k. That is before taxes and tradein. My tradein is probably *just* breakeven to takeover my loan (well I may have to cough up 1k)

- Top factor is reliability. I should feel confident to drive it cross-country, just filling gas, checking tyre pressure and besides that, doing service as per interval prescribed in the manual or any service lights come on the dash.

- Auto, no CVT (I just dislike them). I don't need paddle shifters, I never use them even in my 335i. (I do know how to drive a stick shift and thoroughly enjoyed a turbodiesel stickshift in another life, but thats another story. Need to stay auto for family and carsharing now).

- Four doors, four seats (need to get parent into car on a regular basis)

- Should have decent good power and good pickup from the get-go (335i totally spoilt me)

- Should have steering feel! I guess it is difficult to articulate what I mean by "steering feel" but I think it is a combination of steering feedback, quick turn in and weightedness.

- Low body roll

- Preferably RWD but this is low on the priority list - I tend to throw my car into corners at speed when the road is empty, and can tell the difference between a car that likes it and a car that doesnt like it.

Lower on the priority list is things like Nav and Rearview camera but these are probably "consolation" things that I would get, if I end up with a car that is unsatisfactory in performance / feel.

I don't really think about fuel efficiency at all. My monthly driving is less than 1000 miles.

I don't need all wheel drive and have no use for it unless its going to be "real" all wheel drive like Quattro that not just "kicks in" when losing traction but helps in everyday. But either way I live in California, and have no need for all wheel drive. Even rear wheel drive will suit me in all seasons.

Last edited by newoldbeemer; 07-07-2013 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #19
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Get a tsx, reliable, kinda fun to drive and fits ur budget

It's no BMW but it won't scare ya with an unannounced ding either, good luck!
Thanks! Are they fun to drive in say, hill roads or winding roads? Do they feel different to drive from Accords?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for responding! My goals are very specific now:
- Budget is 30k, preferably 25k. That is before taxes and tradein. My tradein is probably *just* breakeven to takeover my loan (well I may have to cough up 1k)

- Top factor is reliability. I should feel confident to drive it cross-country, just filling gas, checking tyre pressure and besides that, doing service as per interval prescribed in the manual or any service lights come on the dash.

- Auto, no CVT (I just dislike them). I don't need paddle shifters, I never use them even in my 335i. (I do know how to drive a stick shift and thoroughly a turbodiesel stickshift in another life, but thats another story. Need to stay auto for family and carsharing now).

- Four doors, four seats (need to get parent into car on a regular basis)

- Should have decent good power and good pickup from the get-go (335i totally spoilt me)

- Should have steering feel! I guess it is difficult to articulate what I mean by "steering feel" but I think it is a combination of steering feedback, quick turn in and weightedness.

- Low body roll

- Preferably RWD but this is low on the priority list - I tend to throw my car into corners at speed when the road is empty, and can tell the difference between a car that likes it and a car that doesnt like it.

Lower on the priority list is things like Nav and Rearview camera but these are probably "consolation" things that I would get, if I end up with a car that is unsatisfactory in performance / feel.
Since we are ruling out used/cpo cars... That leaves us with leasing. I'm guessing u r okay with around $500/mo depreciation (all cars depreciate). I'm not sure if u have a garage at home to charge the car... But have u considered a tesla?? Tesla may not meet ur road trip requirements... But honestly... If i were to road trip somewhere... I would always rent a car (because if u ever have any issue with the car, the rental agency will get u a replacement and u r not wasting time getting things fixed far from home).

If u were still okay with a CPO, i would get a cpo 550i/750li/760li... They have deals for 5 years @ 0.9% and those cars depreciate like a bitch in the first 3 years. Plenty of low miles versions and people in the higher end 5/7- series usually don't do shady stuff with the cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #21
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Lease is ruled out too, because of my visa status. I am not local here - I'm just here for a few years. $500 depreciation is perfectly fine. That kinda rules Tesla out too in addition to the lease aspect.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #22
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Also:
- What do you think of Accord V6 vs Acura TSX (inline 4)?

- What do you think of the Fusion turbo 2.0? I hear conflicting things about reliability.

I should clarify, by reliability I really am referring to only the first 4 or 5 years reliability. But I want that 4 or 5 years to be rock-solid reliability. So I am not sure if I am doing the right thing ruling out VWs, American brands (thinking Charger) etc. Its a bit difficult to judge from anecdotes and ratings..

I should also clarify, I havent ruled out CPOs completely - I was just mentioning that I am shy of them, but its one of my questions actually - should I still consider them with say, a constraint of 1 year old / 15k miles car? Or, can things still go horribly wrong even with those criteria?

And thanks for taking the time to think about my problem and responding with your opinions. I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0