E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Warranty Issues - with Mirror

06-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Binary
Elderly Member
England
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne x45e on order

Warranty Issues - with Mirror

Took the car into my local dealer before taking it on a run to Le Mans for the 24 hour. Booked in for two issues namely false brake light message and n/s door mirror wouldn't move in and out but was ok up and down except it never came up after it automatically goes down for reversing.
One the way to book it in I got an engine failure light and it turned out to be a vanos issue so i had to leave it with them over the weekend.

When I picked it up yesterday they had: -

1) fixed the vanos issue (two vanos solenoids replaced)

2) fixed the brake light warning (new bulb and holder)

3) fixed the n/s door mirror (new controller) but advised they had temporarily fixed the mirror glass with adhesive tape as the connection points had been snapped of the back of the mirror. They are refusing to replace the glass under warranty as the mounts are physically broken and they want £250 for a new glass. I argued that it should be covered under warranty as there is no external physical evidence of damage to the mirror.

I am waiting for a call back from the service manager but has anyone any thoughts as to whether this should be a warranty issue or not?
      06-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Edition Sport

So are they saying that it was already broken then?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Binary
Elderly Member
England
Rep

I guess they must be saying that but like I said in the post there is no physical damage externally and if they were physically broken before then how was the mirror held in place?
      06-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds like you have a point. Ask for the DP if you get nowhere and see I'd you get your point across.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Binary
Elderly Member
England
Rep

Hi Darren

Thanks for the advice and will let you know how I get on.
BTW just read the thread on Wafik's issues and just wanted to say that your actions should give us all confidence that the art of customer service is still alive and well.
For what it's worth I brought my first 7 series from Sytner Nottingham in 1998 and they were fantastic people to deal with.
      06-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep

The guy who runs Nottingham, John, has been with the dealership since he was a young whipper snapper and started in the parts department - he won one of the Sytner DP of the year awards last year - he runs a good ship IMO, so good to hear
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Binary
Elderly Member
England
Rep

Got nowhere with the mirror the dealership are adamant that the mounting points were already broken and say that BMW will not honour it as a warranty claim. They do not accept my argument that there is no evidence of physical damage and now are saying that the technician reported it as loose when he took it off, funny that wasn't mentioned initially.

Offered me 10% discount on a new mirror which will work out at £217 think I will leave it as is and replace it if/when it does fall off.

Can anyone think of a reason why I couldn't fit a non chromatic mirror which works out a lot cheaper at £63, realise I would lose the autodim feature but it is the nearside mirror after all.

Last edited by Binary; 06-24-2009 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I think they do take a blind guess because they do make more money if they charge you rather than BMW.

I had a similar story, the mirror would retract the other way and wouldnt stay in position even if you forced them (auto retracts over 25 MPH). They replaced it after a lot of hassle.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
E92 LeMans
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2007 330d M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Edwards @ Sytner View Post
Sounds like you have a point. Ask for the DP if you get nowhere and see I'd you get your point across.
I would do as this post sayes this gentleman would be the DP boss who posted this!

Maybe there customer service is getting better!

The thing that makes me mad if they tell BMW there is a fault with it they will just replace it under warranty.
Let us know who you get on.
      06-25-2009, 02:42 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary View Post
Got nowhere with the mirror the dealership are adamant that the mounting points were already broken and say that BMW will not honour it as a warranty claim. They do not accept my argument that there is no evidence of physical damage and now are saying that the technician reported it as loose when he took it off, funny that wasn't mentioned initially.

Offered me 10% discount on a new mirror which will work out at £217 think I will leave it as is and replace it if/when it does fall off.

Can anyone think of a reason why I couldn't fit a non chromatic mirror which works out a lot cheaper at £63, realise I would lose the autodim feature but it is the nearside mirror after all.
I'd be inclined to take this further with someone senior at the dealership.

The problem is that you only have their word that the supports were broken when you gave them the car.

You gave them a car with a mirror that was securely fixed in place. They gave you back a car where it needs to be held on by tape.

BMW used to have a great reputation for warranties, but these days they don't seem to care. Kia can stand behind their product for 7 years on much tighter margins that BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #11
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

You need to take this further, i would be going mad!! it obviously wasn't broke before you took it in or it would have fell out and they have proven this because they are saying it needs tape to keep it in!

they take the piss... You need someone like Darren at that dealership to sort it out!

Appreciate 0