E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > Audi RS5?

01-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #23
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

There is going to be a time when people finally overlook the fashion items that are Audi.

They make some good cars, but many are seriously overrated and overpriced.

Image is everything for cars. Years ago BMW were the cars to have and held their value really well. Now Audi have that badge that people want. The tide will turn again.

There is far more value for money buying a used BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #24
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Not only the Wrong Forum (BMW!!!), Not only the Wrong section of the wrong Forum!!!!!!!! you are looking at the wrong Car in the wrong section of the wrong forum??????????.

Wrong wrong wrong on all accounts.

Have a re-thing on all accounts me ole mucker!
      02-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #25
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

He's got the wrong section of the forum, should be off topic. But there is nothing wrong with discussing other brands, there is more than just BMWs for sale
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #26
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Dan View Post
He's got the wrong section of the forum, should be off topic. But there is nothing wrong with discussing other brands, there is more than just BMWs for sale
Agreed Dan, but at least have the common sense to post in the right section eh??????
      02-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #27
tomwh85
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
Not only the Wrong Forum (BMW!!!), Not only the Wrong section of the wrong Forum!!!!!!!! you are looking at the wrong Car in the wrong section of the wrong forum??????????.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #28
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Agreed Dan, but at least have the common sense to post in the right section eh??????
Yeah true
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #29
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar View Post
I know this is BMW forum, please don't shoot me for asking about Audis. Sold my loved fully loaded X5 day before yesterday. Having owned many BMWs in past I am looking for a change and RS5 comes to my mind. I know nothing about Audi, so for buying I don't know what must-have and nice to have options shall look for. Audi electronics looks much inferior but I may be wrong here. Any idea guys?
Afsar
Do you mind me asking why you sold your X5?

Was that too big? Not as fun as other E6x / E9x?

Or some other reason.
      02-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #30
lowkick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 325i M Sport, e31 850ci

Rights, after years of being a devoted BMW fan, I have recently bought a a5 coupe 3.0TDI. A5 is a much bigger car than 3 series that I had before, wider, roomier , better equipped (no retrofitting). Went to lovely snowy Poland for a week and all i can say is that nothing can even get close to quattro and good winter tires. I didn't have a chance to own an M Bmw so I can only compare M sport suspesion to an S line, and rwd bmw and quattro from Audi. Ok, some may say rwd will be more fun... all i can say is that 600NM+ quattro is faaaaaaaar from boring. Far from boring and safe at the same time. Then the Dakota leather in my e91 vs whatever leather Audi puts is sline/sport - not even comparable, bmw feels plastic and hard ( my 1993 850ci has a much, much better leather than this horrible and cheap dakota) Plus 39MPG mixed driving is a plus too. Blurb over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar View Post
I know this is BMW forum, please don't shoot me for asking about Audis. Sold my loved fully loaded X5 day before yesterday. Having owned many BMWs in past I am looking for a change and RS5 comes to my mind. I know nothing about Audi, so for buying I don't know what must-have and nice to have options shall look for. Audi electronics looks much inferior but I may be wrong here. Any idea guys?
      02-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #31
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkick View Post
Rights, after years of being a devoted BMW fan, I have recently bought a a5 coupe 3.0TDI. A5 is a much bigger car than 3 series that I had before, wider, roomier , better equipped (no retrofitting). Went to lovely snowy Poland for a week and all i can say is that nothing can even get close to quattro and good winter tires. I didn't have a chance to own an M Bmw so I can only compare M sport suspesion to an S line, and rwd bmw and quattro from Audi. Ok, some may say rwd will be more fun... all i can say is that 600NM+ quattro is faaaaaaaar from boring. Far from boring and safe at the same time. Then the Dakota leather in my e91 vs whatever leather Audi puts is sline/sport - not even comparable, bmw feels plastic and hard ( my 1993 850ci has a much, much better leather than this horrible and cheap dakota) Plus 39MPG mixed driving is a plus too. Blurb over.

Good to hear some feedback.
You had NA engine on 325i and now you have turbo engine. Would love to see comparison of 335d vs 3.0TDI.

Would like to see photos of your car if you dont mind.
      02-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #32
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
C63 is a better animal. We have one coming in on trade (RS5) and usually I get to drive whatever is on the lot, Im going to pass on this Audi for my Ol 335.
You work for Reeves by chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #33
skelts
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
Get one, amazing car and very rare interior and exterior is the best looking by far over m3 and c63.

Ok the m3 has amazing handling but it's no use on the streets and ok the c63 has amazing power but agen you can't use it on the streets but the rs5 does have awd and launch control which you can use on the streets. For example at any traffic light you will leave both the m3 and the c63 Behind and by the time they catch up the speeds will just be too dangerous for on the roads and the rs5 will stick round corners with its awd while the m3 is all over the place because of the oily rutty roads. So for the streets the rs5 is the best performer I would say.
Completely agree with this. The extra weight concerns me abit but unless your going to track it then I doubt you will notice it too much on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #34
skelts
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
You had NA engine on 325i and now you have turbo engine. Would love to see comparison of 335d vs 3.0TDI.

There is simply no comparison Sam, the 3.0TDI engine is of similar to a 330d. This is why I have never gone for an Audi diesel but the new 3.0 BiTDI looks a great engine and finally something to compete against the 335d. That engine in a black edition Audi A7
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #35
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelts View Post
There is simply no comparison Sam, the 3.0TDI engine is of similar to a 330d. This is why I have never gone for an Audi diesel but the new 3.0 BiTDI looks a great engine and finally something to compete against the 335d. That engine in a black edition Audi A7
Thanks. So you only get bit of more toys!
      02-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #36
lowkick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

In terms of power, it wont be as rapid as 335d, however the power distribution via quattro is where it all makes a massive difference.

Ive driven remapped 335d and 535d and I will risk saying something which wont be welcomed on bmw forum - quattro feels better. Straight line start, 335d will be faster on 1,2 gear. But throw a turn, roundabout - anything that requires a change of direction and a quattro will get ahead. That's obviously my opinion, after having a chance of driving twin td bm's and a single t quattro.
Would I compare quickness of remapped 330d to 3.0tdi quattro? Nope.

Twin t on quattro? Ok, I will have to talk to my bank manager;-)

Quote:
Thanks. So you only get bit of more toys!

Last edited by lowkick; 02-01-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #37
lowkick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Wheels, tires and suspension on order so will post some after all changes.
The difference between m sports and sport/s line is bmw looks good straight out of the production line, audi needs some works on it's stance to beef up and gain the right presence.

Quote:

02-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #38
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

C63 or M3 would get my money. The RS5 felt so slow when i test drove it my girlfriend genuinely thought her Leon may have been faster. That for me was the point i turned around and drove back.

Also on the GTR side of things. When buying set aside 15k extra for when the gearbox falls out the bottom of the car. Two friends of mine have had them. Both sold them within months due to the multiple gearbox issues. One of them ended up paying £15,200 for his box to be uprated as he went through 3 in 5 months. Shortly after he sold it and bought an M6 and has not looked back.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #39
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
C63 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #40
tomwh85
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelts View Post
Sorry but the 3.0 bi turbo from audi will only be in the bigger cars a6+ size and not in the a4 so unfortunately can't compare to the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #41
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkick View Post
In terms of power, it wont be as rapid as 335d, however the power distribution via quattro is where it all makes a massive difference.

Ive driven remapped 335d and 535d and I will risk saying something which wont be welcomed on bmw forum - quattro feels better. Straight line start, 335d will be faster on 1,2 gear. But throw a turn, roundabout - anything that requires a change of direction and a quattro will get ahead. That's obviously my opinion, after having a chance of driving twin td bm's and a single t quattro.
Would I compare quickness of remapped 330d to 3.0tdi quattro? Nope.

Twin t on quattro? Ok, I will have to talk to my bank manager;-)

The biggest problem with the A5 is it doesn't do corners. Every decent driver complains about the understeer that you can't do much about. It ploughs on straight whereas the BMW is going around the corner.

The 335i is slightly slower than the S5 V8, same with RS5v M3 in a straight line from a standing start as it has more power, throw in a few corners and the opposite is true. On the move the Quattro saps the power and the 335i and M3 is quicker on the move.

I'm always confused about the traffic light GP and the conditions that people live in within the UK.

Firstly doing full bore standing starts at traffic lights you are going to look like an idiot.

Where is the need for 4wd in London?

I live in Aberdeen and can be in remote areas of Aberdeenshire within a couple of miles. I've never once thought I really need 4wd.

For countless years most people have said 4wd is mostly pointless in the UK. Now global warming with less rain and very easy winters, now 4wd has become more important.

Marketing bollocks that people are buying into.

Last edited by Kerr; 02-02-2015 at 03:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:17 AM   #42
afsar
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d

Quote:

Why wrong forum? This "is" the right forum. If I post this in Audi forum are they going to say don't get Audi? Despite being BMW forum as you can see I am getting good feedback, one can buy BMW before or after (if not at the same time) of owning Audi just like me if I make a purchase.

Section could be wrong, but even that has common sense in it, just incase someone can offer me if they want to sell. Kinda wanted RS5 thread if but this has descended into full comparision thread so I do agree it needs to move to off-topic. Mods pls help.

Last edited by afsar; 02-02-2015 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:29 AM   #43
afsar
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d

Quote:
Afsar
Do you mind me asking why you sold your X5?

Was that too big? Not as fun as other E6x / E9x?

Or some other reason.
X5 was amazing. xDrive40d has immense pulling power but it was too "high" for my needs. Due to its increased height its handling severely deterioted compared to saloon world I am coming from. So I had to slow down a lot before approaching a roundabout compared to my remapped 535d. Also my need for 7 seater was over. During the time I had it I enjoyed thoroughly in my long europe trips. Even been to Grimsel, Furka and many other passes of Swiss Alps. At two occassions I drove 450 miles straight almost non-stop (well, two WC stops of 3 minutes shouldn't count) and I wasn't stretching at all, it was easy ride.

I am going to miss my X5 as finding that level of equipment in a used car is rare.
      02-02-2015, 05:13 AM   #44
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Never get the appeal of Audi interiors. To me they are kind of bland, and also look to much every other VW. I can't comment on the quality of the leather having never spent too long of a time in them. My dads car bores me to death though, and him too. I feel bad for telling him to get the Audi over a BMW.

People say Mercedes are also more refined than BMW and the rank is generally Audi, Merc, BMW.

Maybe this shows the age of the buyers, and perhaps previous careers, because Mercedes looks like an 1980's mobile phone...They could have done even better IMO and cornered the entire market of pensioners with one of these slapped in the middle of the dash.

And the Audi, everything is by the gear stick. Maybe this explains why Audi drivers are generally now the highest ranked in the stereotype league of "german car driving people".
Appreciate 0