Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New tires for 2012

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
New tires for 2012

Hello everyone,

I am going to be purchasing a dedicated summer set of wheels and tires after I get my tax refund check and I was thinking that it might be a good idea to wait a few months for the new tires to hit the market.

What new tires we should be looking forward to in 2012? I am mostly interested in the Extreme Performance Summer and Ultra High Performance Summer categories.

Currently I am looking at either the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s but I was wondering what the other tire makers will be offering next summer as contenders?
      12-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Save some time researching and just get some Pilot Super Sports. They are the best rated tires in the class you are looking in. I love mine! I daily drive, track, and 1/4 in them and they are great in all 3. They are a more expensive that most Extreme summers (RE-11's are the highest) but well worth it as a car's shoes are the most important mod IMO.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is in a lower performance category than the Dunlop Direzza's so I am not sure if those two tires should even be compared side by side.

Also, those are last year's models. I am trying to find out what we should be expecting as a new tires for 2012.

Thanks for the feedback though!
      12-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You're right, they are categorized under 2 different names. But when you put them side by side, the PSS outperform all the Extreme summers (wet and dry traction). The only thing the D1's have better is their weight. The RE-11's are great tires too, especially for the track or auto-x, however, they wear out fast! I have several friends with them on their M's and they go though rears about every 10K. I don't think 2012 tires have been anounced yet, although I don't see much new advancement.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
But when you put them side by side, the PSS outperform all the Extreme summers (wet and dry traction).
...Interesting!

Is this by comparing the respective "points" from tirerack.com test results or is this from personal experience?

Because Tirerack has those ratings:

Dunlop Direzza Dry Track Cornering Stability - 8.48
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118

Micheling Pilot Super Sport Dry Track Corenring Stability - 8.62
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

Also, are those numbers really comparable between tire categories? My understanding is that those results are numeric points which are used to compare tires within each category, not across multiple categories.
      12-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I am looking into Michelin Pilot Super Sport and indeed, this is an impressive tire:

* lighter than Dunlops
* Lasts a bit longer
* Better specs (if the numbers are comparable between categories)

Thanks for pointing it out!
      12-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I was just going off the tires individual catagories (wet traction, dry traction, steering response, etc) But tests like lateral G's, brake distance, tread wear are not subjective. I have personal experience in; PSS, PS2, RE'11, DW, V12, Invos, and Falken 542's and the PSS are by far my favorite when you take all things into account. If the RE11's had better tread wear I would almost recommend them above all, but that's not the case. Ideally I would have seperate track tires, drag radials, and DW's for daily drivers, but that's not my case....so PSS work well for what I do. They are like the 335, not the best at one thing but good at everything.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts!

So the real question remains is whether the ratings for each tire are comparable between different categories...
      12-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
samson smith
Canada
Rep
Drives: model-800, maruti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
I was just going off the tires individual catagories (wet traction, dry traction, steering response, etc) But tests like lateral G's, brake distance, tread wear are not subjective. I have personal experience in; PSS, PS2, RE'11, DW, V12, Invos, and Falken 542's and the PSS are by far my favorite when you take all things into account. If the RE11's had better tread wear I would almost recommend them above all, but that's not the case. Ideally I would have seperate track tires, drag radials, and DW's for daily drivers, but that's not my case....so PSS work well for what I do. They are like the 335, not the best at one thing but good at everything.
Very nice experience!! thanks for sharing!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts!

So the real question remains is whether the ratings for each tire are comparable between different categories...
You're correct that they are not comparable between different categories.

Keep in mind that tire models don't change every year, or even every other year. The previous generation of Michelin's top summer tire, the PS2, was the top tire in its class for over six years. It appears that the Super Sport will likely dominate this category for a long time to come.

The Direzza Z1 Star Spec has a stiffer ride and faster steering response, but is louder and has faster wear than the Super Sport. It is a great bang-for-the-buck autocross/high performance street tire but does not approach the Super Sport in road manners or wear.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Gary,

First of all, thanks for posting in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Aha! I knew it!

Quote:
It appears that the Super Sport will likely dominate this category for a long time to come.
Thanks! Good to know!

Quote:
The Direzza Z1 Star Spec has a stiffer ride and faster steering response, but is louder and has faster wear than the Super Sport. It is a great bang-for-the-buck autocross/high performance street tire but does not approach the Super Sport in road manners or wear.
That's what I was getting as a feedback from the other fellow BMW autocrossers in the area as well.

So, the Direzza Z1 will actually outperform the Pilot Super Sport on the track, is that correct?

Thanks again!
      12-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

The Z1 Star Spec should have a slight advantage in track use, but we have not tested the two side by side on the track so I cannot say for sure.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #13
samson smith
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Keep in mind that tire models don't change every year, or even every other year. The previous generation of Michelin's top summer tire, the PS2, was the top tire in its class for over six years. It appears that the Super Sport will likely dominate this category for a long time to come.

It is really very useful post. And most important the link gives a very nice info about the tires. Nice sharing!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Super Sports!

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #15
samson smith
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
Super Sports!

Nice tire.....this types of tires are very helpful during sports racing...thanks for sharing...!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #16
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:

Great thread..

So between the PS2 and Super Sports..The Super Sports are more superior IYO?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #17
samson smith
Canada
Rep

I agree with you, Tibra1........It is really a nice thread......I think Super Sports are more superior....!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Yes, the Super Sport is indeed the better tire and designed to replace the older PS2 design.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
samson smith
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the Super Sport is indeed the better tire and designed to replace the older PS2 design.
I agreed!! super sport tires are more better than PS2 design tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #20
nickgoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I wish the super sport where available in RFT...

I'm in need to replace the oem bridgestone RFT on MY2007 335i coupe as my right rear inside wall is almost gone and wires showing....

Anyone have experience with PS3 on a 335i?

Will either the super sport or PS3 be available in RFT?

I'm hesitant to go non RFT as I live in Greece and although the roads are shitty and RFT get on my nerves in every pot hole i hit...the fear of being stuck in some remote, shitty , small road, needing a flat bed scares me off....

Also, my front tires have plenty of thread on them....If I leave them on what are your thoughts on having bridgestone RFT's up front and not RFT in the back??

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #21
nickgoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Bump...Anybody that can chime in? I need to make a decission fairly quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
JS82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

Mixing tires with different tread pattern or runflats with non rft is not recommended.
I would take the runflats on the front off and try to sell them.
Then get yourself 4 decent Michelin non runflats and you're good to go.
Appreciate 0