E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Condensation or white smoke coming from exhaust?

12-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #89
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
I have the same problem but only seems to occur when stopped at the lights or in bumper to bumper traffic.. Seems to come and go. Last time it happened it turn out to be turbo seals. PVC but it did not fix the problem.. Hoping its not turbo seals again.....

Ill start a list of the all the things that can cause this off smoking issue, feel free to add to it

1. Leaking turbo seals - Oil leaks past seals and into exhaust
2. Catless DPs - no cat converter means more visible smoke
3. ??
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #90
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
I have the same problem but only seems to occur when stopped at the lights or in bumper to bumper traffic.. Seems to come and go. Last time it happened it turn out to be turbo seals. PVC but it did not fix the problem.. Hoping its not turbo seals again.....

Ill start a list of the all the things that can cause this off smoking issue, feel free to add to it

1. Leaking turbo seals - Oil leaks past seals and into exhaust
2. Catless DPs - no cat converter means more visible smoke
3. ??
3. Water in exhaust system? White smoke, not blue-ish.

Late to the party but I'm glad to finally be a white smoke club member. Actually it's been happening to me pretty often but irregularly ever since I moved from Central to South FL - could be the air down here...

FBO, catless, vrsf dp/exhaust combo.. I see quite a few saying how much water can build up in the exhaust system and seeing as how I'm in FL and we get plenty of rain (usually) I'm hoping this is a big part of my issue.

Anyone have any DIY methods to pushing water out? I don't really have a way to get the car up too high right now and with the koni yellows and H&Rs its sitting pretty damn low, hindering much access to the underside. Obviously normal engine exhaust pressure isn't clearing them out if people say they're emptying dumping water out when removing / swapping exhausts.

My indy (and good friend, unbeatable pricing) is back in Orlando and I haven't made it up there in months, trying to do more work on my own so any advice is appreciated. Other additions will be BMS OCC and RB PCV to lock down the issue.

On a final note, as far as I can tell I do have a shit injector that is spraying this expensive ass car juice all over as the engine cover and area surrounding show signs of a leak - I have a full set of index 12s though so I am wondering if replacing just one is OK or not because I see many people mention no mixing - that's referring to not mixing the indexes I assume?
      12-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #91
E4RTH WORM JIM
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Having the same problem.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on what it is? White smoke not blue. Just had an injector fail and that cause LOTS of white smoke. Could this be leaking injectors at idle???

Last edited by E4RTH WORM JIM; 12-17-2017 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:48 AM   #92
Lordputrik
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 2007/11 335xi

Having pretty much the same issue, No loss of coolant or oil, white smoke and alot of it warm as cold, but i also have slight exhaust smell from coolant reservoir, fuel smell under oil cap and a fairly rough idle, the misfire is present in the first 3-5min idle, like a cylinder cut off, no codes present with the scan tools ive got (carly and iCarsoft) Had a misfire on Cyl1 earlier but swapped out the plug and coil, fixed the issue to some point, i also have a really hard brake pedal, most likely the brake vacuum valve, going to get that replaced tomorrow, i can hardly believe that the brake check valve cause all of these symptomes. My initial tought was HG but we will see, im going to get a compression test done in 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #93
mattgu40
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 x5 35i E92 N54

Same issue here, away from the car at the moment but will attempt a DIY external PCV with Rob's external kit on the low side + continue running bms catch can on the boost side.

Turbos are brand new
will test injectors for leaks after plugging the head Pcv ports.
do a leakdown test
coolant level remain stable.
no excessive oil consumption.
will then be able to tell if it is only because i have cut the kittys away.
thinking about a small hole at the bottom of the muffler to drain water as i live in fucking north pole (snow mexicans as your president call us)

will report here
through my smoke isnt as intense as the first post video
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #94
Ballistic
Banned
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

I also have this "issue" It always did it some because it's normal when hot air meets cold & condensation.

It got worse after getting downpipes. I never tried to troubleshoot it.
I did replace injectors,coils,plugs,PCV valve and the PCV tube at the back of the engine due to other reasons. This did not resolve the smoking.

I don't think anything is wrong. It's just how the N54 does without a cat. I image all you guys will need to let off some steam too when you haven't had a pussy to play with
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #95
Lordputrik
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 2007/11 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
I also have this "issue" It always did it some because it's normal when hot air meets cold & condensation.

It got worse after getting downpipes. I never tried to troubleshoot it.
I did replace injectors,coils,plugs,PCV valve and the PCV tube at the back of the engine due to other reasons. This did not resolve the smoking.

I don't think anything is wrong. It's just how the N54 does without a cat. I image all you guys will need to let off some steam too when you haven't had a pussy to play with

Thing is I have 4 "bad" plugs all black, cyl 5-6 has good plugs. No codes and bone stock in exhaust and intake, only thing i have is a custom map for engine.
Have stumbeling idle and tons of white smoke, i mean i even have fuel smell under oil cap which indicates something right?

sure its like -15c outside but that shouldnt look like im driving a powerplant.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 04:29 AM   #96
Ballistic
Banned
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordputrik View Post
Thing is I have 4 "bad" plugs all black, cyl 5-6 has good plugs. No codes and bone stock in exhaust and intake, only thing i have is a custom map for engine.
Have stumbeling idle and tons of white smoke, i mean i even have fuel smell under oil cap which indicates something right?

Sounds like you should start with replacing injectors and plugs. I also did the coils while i was at it.
After replacing those items, also do an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #97
fordbaxter
N54 Whisperer
United_States
Rep
Drives: RB Turbo E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordputrik View Post

Have you replaced injectors and coded new ones in?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #98
Cascade253
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

I also get the large cloud of white smoke come out when doing hard stops. After reading several different threads about how much water gets poured out of the mufflers when they've removed their exhaust, I believe it is due to this water sloshing back into the perforated exhaust pipe and running up the exhaust to most likely the hot cats where it is heated and evaporated.

Just now, I drilled a 3/32" hole in each muffler near the lowest point, and I was amazed at the amount of water that came out. My previous vehicle was a Ram 1500 and it had drain holes in the mufflers (main and resonator) just for this. I will report back if this solves this and what if any changes there may be. I imagine the exhaust note will actually change now that the baffling is not filled with water.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #99
Cascade253
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am happy to report after draining the mufflers of the collected water, I no longer have a white cloud come out when coming to a stop. I feel like the exhaust did get a touch louder as well, but could just be a placebo effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:24 AM   #100
mattgu40
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 x5 35i E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade253 View Post
I am happy to report after draining the mufflers of the collected water, I no longer have a white cloud come out when coming to a stop. I feel like the exhaust did get a touch louder as well, but could just be a placebo effect.
that is great news. thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #101
planck
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

Quote:
Could you describe how you drained your mufflers ?

Last edited by planck; 02-05-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:38 AM   #102
Cascade253
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planck View Post
Could you describe how you drained your mufflers ?
See 4 posts up. As soon as you make it through the wall water will start draining out. Could go with a smaller bit like a 1/16", the mufflers are pretty stout though to drill through even with brand new cobalt bits, and I didn't feel like breaking a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #103
planck
Registered
Rep

Quote:
See 4 posts up. As soon as you make it through the wall water will start draining out. Could go with a smaller bit like a 1/16", the mufflers are pretty stout though to drill through even with brand new cobalt bits, and I didn't feel like breaking a bit.
Thanks Maybe some photo of your drains ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #104
Cascade253
Enlisted Member
Rep

You can see the two holes where the moisture is. I was just alittle bit off on getting the exact lowest point as seen by where the water runs to on the outside, but its close enough to do its job.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #105
planck
Registered
Rep

Quote:
You can see the two holes where the moisture is. I was just alittle bit off on getting the exact lowest point as seen by where the water runs to on the outside, but its close enough to do its job.
Great - thanks a lot
Appreciate 0