E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Changing to 18 or 19 inch tire, how much difference does it make?

08-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Changing to 18 or 19 inch tire, how much difference does it make?

My tires are starting to lose tread and will be due for replacement at the end of the year. I'm planning to replace my standard 17 inch run-flats with maybe 18 or even 19 inch tires. I had no problem when changing to bigger tires in E36s. But I'm wondering if there are any issues from getting bigger tires for the E90? Are any increase in performance be worth the potential extra fuel consumption or other drawbacks for the E90? Run-flats are usually too expensive in HK, correct? How much impact would fitting regular 18/19 inches (and cost) will it have on the handling? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
css
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S

bigger wheels =
suffer in performance
suffer in cost as 19 tires are more expensive
suffer in comfort

but
you get killer looks which if you dont track / fly a lot, will overcome all the above points

however, i dont know whats the conditions are like on Seattle, but 19 wouldnt be that much of a problem for e90/e92 in HK, so i guess its fine too!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oda View Post
bigger wheels =
suffer in performance
suffer in cost as 19 tires are more expensive
suffer in comfort

but
you get killer looks which if you dont track / fly a lot, will overcome all the above points

however, i dont know whats the conditions are like on Seattle, but 19 wouldnt be that much of a problem for e90/e92 in HK, so i guess its fine too!

Thanks for the tips, I take it the hit in cost and comfort is a given for larger tires. But as for performance, I don't think it will hurt performance necessarily, it all depends on what type of larger tires I used. If I get the right ones, in may result in better performance and grip, which will more then compensate for the increase in fuel consumption and harsher ride. So long as I have a handle on any adverse impact on the speedometer and abs brakes and etc. I'm not looking to show-off, so what are the best larger tires for increase performance? Or maybe I should just do plus sizing...hmm..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Thanks for the tips, I take it the hit in cost and comfort is a given for larger tires. But as for performance, I don't think it will hurt performance necessarily, it all depends on what type of larger tires I used. If I get the right ones, in may result in better performance and grip, which will more then compensate for the increase in fuel consumption and harsher ride. So long as I have a handle on any adverse impact on the speedometer and abs brakes and etc. I'm not looking to show-off, so what are the best larger tires for increase performance? Or maybe I should just do plus sizing...hmm..
things that will impact performance:

1) Tire compound: more sticky tires equal better performance. when I was tracking in tokyo, RE-11s were the best one, but expensive and downright dangerous in rain.

2) contact patch: going wider will result in better grip as the contact patch is increased.

3) rim size: depending on if you get OEM or BBS lightweight wheels, it may not be worse. however, if you get cheap wheels, they will certainly be heavier, which increases unsprung weight and negatively impact handling and fuel consumption.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

If you ditch the RFTs, what are you going to do if you get a flat tyre?

19" RFTs on E90s have a history of giving you expensive cracked rims. A lot of people on here also complain that the ride is too harsh on 19", less so on 18".

Personally, I have 17" and I like them; the ride is much smoother and they don't mind badly maintained/potholed roads. So I guess in Seattle you could take them onto some backroads no problem or if you are in HK you could drive to some small villages in Guangdong also no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Changing to non RFTs:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=376280&page=7
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
If you ditch the RFTs, what are you going to do if you get a flat tyre?

19" RFTs on E90s have a history of giving you expensive cracked rims. A lot of people on here also complain that the ride is too harsh on 19", less so on 18".

Personally, I have 17" and I like them; the ride is much smoother and they don't mind badly maintained/potholed roads. So I guess in Seattle you could take them onto some backroads no problem or if you are in HK you could drive to some small villages in Guangdong also no problem.
Thanks for the link, as for non-RFTs, well, I had normal tires in my old E36 and it ran just fine, never really encountered serious puncture issues. But if it's a question of handling, I want to make sure any new tires will maintain or improve the handling.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As, I'm not too familiar with run-flats, can you guys recommend me some good brands available in HK? I'm looking for some really sporty and grippy tires that can stick in corners like glue. Most likely 17' inch, unless I do plus sizing. But also maybe 18 or 19 inch depending if I can find a really good ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
335 Freak
Bimmer Turbo Land
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: White E92 335I Coupe

Quote:
As, I'm not too familiar with run-flats, can you guys recommend me some good brands available in HK? I'm looking for some really sporty and grippy tires that can stick in corners like glue. Most likely 17' inch, unless I do plus sizing. But also maybe 18 or 19 inch depending if I can find a really good ones.
Hi Mr. Wolfman,

I have this set of i-Forged 18" wheels which is going to ship to Hong Kong later this week.......I bought this set as a spare due to the guy sold me his painted Carbon 8 CF M3 vent hood in a very good price!! Since I need to ship my Hood to Hong Kong anyway, I took the wheels in very reasonable offer with tyres exactly the same set up!! Let me know if you are interested while I get a set of I-Forged 18" wheels identical with one wheel + tyre price if purchased brand new in HK!!

Check it out by your own to see if you'll like it??

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411585

Other HK forum members, please PM me for offer if you are interested!! I purchased this set of wheels purely be/cos of the amazing price that forum member offered me which I cannot resist for a set of rare looking I-Forged Emotions!!
Lumma BDK, M3 CF Hood, I-Forged Triumph 19", AP-6pt-360FR, AP-4pt-345RR, M3 CF Lip, ACS CF RFS, CF Grill, JB3 3.0, Stett DV CHG Pipe + DCI + FMIC, NST Pulley, F+R Full M3 Susp Kits, M3 E92 Q-pipes Ex, UR Catless DP, Ohlins C/O, Eibach Sway, M3 Dash Cockpit, CF Wrap Interior, M3 CF Pedals, M5 Shft Knob, LED ATW, OSS Design BlackOut LED Angel Eyes!!!

Last edited by 335 Freak; 08-24-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

fwiw: my 19" wheels/tires are lighter than my OEM 18" wheels and tires just sayin
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

How much are you guys offering? What's the condition of the tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
335 Freak
Bimmer Turbo Land
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: White E92 335I Coupe

Quote:
How much are you guys offering? What's the condition of the tires?
Just PM you, Wolfman!!
Lumma BDK, M3 CF Hood, I-Forged Triumph 19", AP-6pt-360FR, AP-4pt-345RR, M3 CF Lip, ACS CF RFS, CF Grill, JB3 3.0, Stett DV CHG Pipe + DCI + FMIC, NST Pulley, F+R Full M3 Susp Kits, M3 E92 Q-pipes Ex, UR Catless DP, Ohlins C/O, Eibach Sway, M3 Dash Cockpit, CF Wrap Interior, M3 CF Pedals, M5 Shft Knob, LED ATW, OSS Design BlackOut LED Angel Eyes!!!
Appreciate 0