E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF FMIC Review

11-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
VRSF FMIC Review

Ok this is my personal review on the VRSF FMIC

I'm sorry but I don't have pics of the install. This was my first MAJOR mods to my car that I did by myself. What started off as what was supposed to be a 2-3 hour job turned in almost 10 hours. I had 2 other people helping me. There were no instructions included, so for a mod virgin like myself thats didn't help. I used the youtube install for the HPF FMIC as a outline to help me. DO NOT FOLLOW THAT EXACTLY!!! The HPF use the factory piping where as the VRSF fmic have the silicone elbows and piping that replaces the factory piping.

1) take off the plastic piece under the car.

2) I would suggest taking the front bumper off it makes the install 100 times easier!!! But you don't have to if you don't want to.

3) after you do that it takes about 20-30 mins to take the OEM intercooler out (there are a few different youtube vids that can help you with this, even DIY on the forum)

4) Once that is out you do good to go ahead and put the VRSF provided piping on. Keep in mind the oem piping have ONE TIME CRIMP clamps. So once you take them off you can not reuse them. Take off the chargepipe side first so you know what you are looking for on the turbo side. And how to take it off.

5) the turbo side (passenger side) was a PITA!!!!! But once you get it off go ahead and put the VRSF piping on

6) Then start the cutting...once again its easier with the bumper off. I did not cut...I have a paranoia of cutting my car, so my friend did it. We started off cutting it a little smaller, and trimmed it out as needed.

7) once you get that then just mount everything up. The passenger side screw did not fit into the factory screw hole. So we kinda forced it back. Which bent the piping a little, but nothing I couldn't live with (and about this time it was like 2 am and we started at around 7pm) It did not effect the performance of the vehicle

8) put bumer back on

9) put plastic back on the car. And you are done.

i'M SORRY EVERYONE, but I don't have easy access to a dyno to give you true numbers, also I have no other performance mods beside, intake, and magnaflow mufflers. On the "butt dyno" 3rd and 4th gear feels GREAT!!!! And tonight at 47 degrees out side with no tune...OMG I can't wait to tune. On another note, I like about 3-4 mpg but I was told that once I get a tune that should change.

NOW ON TO THE PICS:

it did have some bent fins when I received. (I got the last test fmic before they started selling on the forum)

now installed on the car:

too much to list...just know its wide and bagged
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
New JerZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

no tune? Will not yield any tangible results nor will any of the other mods listed above.
JB4 G5 Iso Tune +*********** Backend e85 by Undercover Performance 469 WHP/491 TQ (no nitrous) Full E85 (No Meth) VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump l BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
yes yes I know that...like I say on the butt dyno, TO ME I feel a little difference....but thanks for the input

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
I'm guessing this was the 7" unit? Anyway it looks great with the m-sport bumper. And I agree you're really not going to feel much of a difference without a tune. But at the same time this is probably the most important supporting mod for this car so it's good you got it out of the way so you can continue making this car a beast.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Love your car's stance. The FMIC is a good bluff until you ramp up the boost
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
adictedtopoker
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Can't believe this took you 10 hours. I think this took me 4 and that was way too long. You can get the stock FMIC out in under 30 min from underneath. No need to remove the bumper either, just the fan.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
trust me tune is coming really soon!!! I'm going with Cobb b/c is it basically dummy proof lol. I've never been one to do performance mods on a car. I always did cosmetics. So after research even though it might not be the most aggressive tune, it is the best tune for me until I get a little more knowledgeable about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
I'm guessing this was the 7" unit? Anyway it looks great with the m-sport bumper. And I agree you're really not going to feel much of a difference without a tune. But at the same time this is probably the most important supporting mod for this car so it's good you got it out of the way so you can continue making this car a beast.
Yes it is the 7" unit. and DP and fmic are the BIGGEST, most beneficial, and healthiest supporting mods for this car. (and can be the cheapest compared to the Cobb tuning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
Love your car's stance. The FMIC is a good bluff until you ramp up the boost
thanks, thats why I went ahead and got it for an aggressive look...the M-sport bumper and M3 rep mouths are to big to be so empty looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adictedtopoker View Post
Can't believe this took you 10 hours. I think this took me 4 and that was way too long. You can get the stock FMIC out in under 30 min from underneath. No need to remove the bumper either, just the fan.
The 10 hours maybe was and exaggeration lol. It honestly took about 5.5-6ish hours 7pm-2am (and this included about an hour break for lunch a few beer breaks and looking for stuff to cut the plastic with) You are right it took about 30 to take the stock one out and we did this with the bumper on. We took the bumper off so we could have an easier time trimming everything. It took us almost an hour to get the one-time crimpped oem piping off the passenger side. Once we got all the oem piping off it took, everything was pretty much straight forward.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
adictedtopoker
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
The 10 hours maybe was and exaggeration lol. It honestly took about 5.5-6ish hours 7pm-2am (and this included about an hour break for lunch a few beer breaks and looking for stuff to cut the plastic with) You are right it took about 30 to take the stock one out and we did this with the bumper on. We took the bumper off so we could have an easier time trimming everything. It took us almost an hour to get the one-time crimpped oem piping off the passenger side. Once we got all the oem piping off it took, everything was pretty much straight forward.
What did you use to get it off? I just used a dremel cut off wheel, off in under a minute.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adictedtopoker View Post
What did you use to get it off? I just used a dremel cut off wheel, off in under a minute.
that is what we were going to use but we didn't have the right dremel bit to cut it off with. We end up using a needle point screw driver to undo the crimp. That why it took us so long. We did the charge pipe side first so we knew what we were looking for then did the other side.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Cobb is great, and I wouldn't say it's aggressive or not aggressive, on a typical FBO car they are all very close.
Appreciate 0