E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > New, need help with headlights

02-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
aledford
Rep
Drives: white 2007 328i

New, need help with headlights

Hello all, like the title says I'm new here and need help with headlights. First, just to let yall know, i know very little about theses cars, so I'm here to learn. My girlfriend just recently bought an 07 328i and the headlight lenses were scratched pretty bad so I decided to buy a new set off of eBay. I bought a set of spyder headlights with the cleared corners. I installed them the other day which was pretty simple other than having to remove the bumper. Once I got the headlights installed I checked to make sure the worked before putting the bumper back on. I then got in the car to drive it and noticed there was a warning light on the dash, which I'm not sure what it means

Here's a picture of it

And the bright lights wouldn't work. I could flip the bright lights on and the light on the dash said they were on but they wouldn't come on. If I pulled the lever back to just flash my bright lights then they would come on. I also noticed the headlights do not move anymore like they originally did with the stock ones. And my last concern is, after only a few days of having them in now the passenger side amber light is not working and when I turn on the right signal it blinks extremely fast on the dash.

Are these just that crappy of headlights or did I miss something during the install??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Alex
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

I believe the Spyder Headlights are meant to replace halogen headlights. From that picture, it seems you have xenon headlights already. It is best to go back to the OEM xenon to save you the trouble. The wiring of the halogen and xenon headlights are different which results in some of the features not working. Someone else correct me if i am wrong.
      02-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
aledford
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd
I believe the Spyder Headlights are meant to replace halogen headlights. From that picture, it seems you have xenon headlights already. It is best to go back to the OEM xenon to save you the trouble. The wiring of the halogen and xenon headlights are different which results in some of the features not working. Someone else correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks for your response. I really like the look of the cleared corners and plus the original headlights are scratched up, is there a different headlight that would work, be simple to install, and not too expensive?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aledford View Post
Thanks for your response. I really like the look of the cleared corners and plus the original headlights are scratched up, is there a different headlight that would work, be simple to install, and not too expensive?
I would have to say no.
      02-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
aledford
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd
Quote:
I would have to say no.
Ok thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Hello all, like the title says I'm new here and need help with headlights. First, just to let yall know, i know very little about theses cars, so I'm here to learn. My girlfriend just recently bought an 07 328i and the headlight lenses were scratched pretty bad so I decided to buy a new set off of eBay. I bought a set of spyder headlights with the cleared corners. I installed them the other day which was pretty simple other than having to remove the bumper. Once I got the headlights installed I checked to make sure the worked before putting the bumper back on. I then got in the car to drive it and noticed there was a warning light on the dash, which I'm not sure what it means

Here's a picture of it

And the bright lights wouldn't work. I could flip the bright lights on and the light on the dash said they were on but they wouldn't come on. If I pulled the lever back to just flash my bright lights then they would come on. I also noticed the headlights do not move anymore like they originally did with the stock ones. And my last concern is, after only a few days of having them in now the passenger side amber light is not working and when I turn on the right signal it blinks extremely fast on the dash.

Are these just that crappy of headlights or did I miss something during the install??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Alex
The lights you installed are for replacement of halogen headlights only, no adaptive feature or bi xenon high beam.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
aledford
Rep

So I would have to buy replacement headlights that are compatible with the xenon?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
aledford
Rep

Oops double post
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
So I would have to buy replacement headlights that are compatible with the xenon?
You need to buy original equipment headlights. You can look on this forum and try to buy them without bulbs, ballast, and control modules which will save you money then transfer these parts off the original headlights you removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
aledford
Rep

Ok great, I'll take a look and see if I can find some
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Bake the lights open and Swap lenses from your aftermarkets with your oem headlights. While you have them open replace the clear corner with the orange one and add some LUX Angel eyes h8's and now you have some sick ass headlights.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
aledford
Rep

I actually was thinking about doing that and watched a couple of videos on it. My only concern is will the lens from the aftermarkets fit correctly in the oem headlight?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aledford
I actually was thinking about doing that and watched a couple of videos on it. My only concern is will the lens from the aftermarkets fit correctly in the oem headlight?
First off try to get the originals repaired professionally. I'm not absolutely sure about the xenon and halogens but I believe the lens is a little larger on the xenons. But check out the dimensions on the aftermarkets and have at it. If not buy a pair of useless xenons and use its lenses for a direct oem replacement..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Bake the lights open and Swap lenses from your aftermarkets with your oem headlights. While you have them open replace the clear corner with the orange one and add some LUX Angel eyes h8's and now you have some sick ass headlights.
There is a set of oem for sale on this forum now for $550 minus ballast, bulbs, and module, and are ahl.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
aledford
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
Quote:
Originally Posted by aledford
First off try to get the originals repaired professionally. I'm not absolutely sure about the xenon and halogens but I believe the lens is a little larger on the xenons. But check out the dimensions on the aftermarkets and have at it. If not buy a pair of useless xenons and use its lenses for a direct oem replacement..
Ok I'll check into that and check both of the dimensions to see if it would even work
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
aledford
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
There is a set of oem for sale on this forum now for $550 minus ballast, bulbs, and module, and are ahl.
Thanks, I saw those just a while ago but that's more than I can spend at the moment
Appreciate 0