E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Obd Security Fix Available Now !!!

11-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #133
Hopeful
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30d 2018

If I've understood alpina527 correctly, the only seed of doubt is whether a blank key can still be added to the car in the same way. He implied that an existing key had to be present for this to be possible now.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #134
matt_83
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Coupe

Took mine into BMW this morning at 8:30 to receive the security upgrade plus some 'quality' upgrades and HPFP software upgrade. Been told it will take all day which I wasn't too happy about.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #135
rich_e92_335d
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

had mine done on Friday. One thing I noticed waa that my idrive screen's brightness had turned right down to mininum where as I normally have it at full brightness. Maybe that implies that the coding is more than just a tweek of the CAS module?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #136
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_83
Took mine into BMW this morning at 8:30 to receive the security upgrade plus some 'quality' upgrades and HPFP software upgrade. Been told it will take all day which I wasn't too happy about.
The full software update takes almost a day to complete, so not much else they can do.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #137
matt_83
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Coupe

Got my car back at 12 today. Security fix and HPFP software upgrade done. Although now all my radio station presets are set Radio 2 for some strange reason. Dummy OBD port also ordered so will be installing that next week hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #138
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_83 View Post
Got my car back at 12 today. Security fix and HPFP software upgrade done. Although now all my radio station presets are set Radio 2 for some strange reason. Dummy OBD port also ordered so will be installing that next week hopefully.
When a technician rang to tell me my car was ready after the fix, he mentioned that some features may have been reset.
This wasn't the case on mine but it appears that things like radio presets or sat nav destinations can be reset after the work, which is perfectly normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #139
ROW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i Individual

Does anyone know if this security update will affect other features? i.e mines been remapped and had things coded.
      12-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #140
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROW View Post
Does anyone know if this security update will affect other features? i.e mines been remapped and had things coded.
Nothing else will be affected because the security fix is only a new Cas file. Your remap and other coding will remain as it is. It only takes 15 minutes to complete

If your car goes in for a full software update, it will definitely wipe your remap. This takes most of the day to load.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #141
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Mine had a full update earlier in the new year which wiped out radio stations, voice dialing presets and a host of other settings.

I read the 'Riot Act' to them (available on Amazon and other good book stores..) but they just said 'Hey, whatever.."

You'd think in this day they could back up/restore user settings? I was told they couldn't copy over the voice dialng anyway as I spoke it into the car and they couldn't replicate my voice. WTF? How is it stored? On cotton wool or fairy dust?... no, it's digitally rendered so it can be backup up...

Anyway, the security fix (ha!) didn't wreck any of that on me again :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #142
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statler View Post
Mine had a full update earlier in the new year which wiped out radio stations, voice dialing presets and a host of other settings.

I read the 'Riot Act' to them (available on Amazon and other good book stores..) but they just said 'Hey, whatever.."

You'd think in this day they could back up/restore user settings? I was told they couldn't copy over the voice dialng anyway as I spoke it into the car and they couldn't replicate my voice. WTF? How is it stored? On cotton wool or fairy dust?... no, it's digitally rendered so it can be backup up...

Anyway, the security fix (ha!) didn't wreck any of that on me again :-)
I just had to have a software update, since they done it the Voice Dial button on steering wheel does not operate, so cannot voice dial. Although after nearly two weeks the Dealership cannot find a remedy and are saying they are waiting for Germany to re issue another software download !!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #143
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
Nothing else will be affected because the security fix is only a new Cas file. Your remap and other coding will remain as it is. It only takes 15 minutes to complete

If your car goes in for a full software update, it will definitely wipe your remap. This takes most of the day to load.
The issue here is how up to date you car is already.

If it is up to date, then the new integration level with the 'fix' will only be a small change to whatever module.

If your car is years out of date (like mine) then bringing it up to the latest integration level with the 'fix' will need to change a lot of other modules too as it brings them all up to date.

BMW techs don't choose which module to update, they just plug in and press 'update' and it does whatever it needs to.

So unless this 'fix' is being executed as a manual intervention by more experienced techs, outside of the general update process, then it seems to follow that your whole car will be brought up to date.

Unless someone has more detail???
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #144
jayakrishnanv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340d

Garage List
+1 above post...mine went in for the software update today...it was not updated for any software for past 3.5yrs and the SA told me two hours and i was awaiting the shuttle from dealership to office when she came and updated me that when they plugged in its showing it as around 6hrs left for the update process and hence i will be getting the car only tomorrow...
      12-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #145
Bomber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 2015 X5 40D M Sport

Garage List
Mine was done Saturday, it took 45mins to complete and didn't update anything other than the security aspect, all settings etc remained the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #146
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
The issue here is how up to date you car is already.

If it is up to date, then the new integration level with the 'fix' will only be a small change to whatever module.

If your car is years out of date (like mine) then bringing it up to the latest integration level with the 'fix' will need to change a lot of other modules too as it brings them all up to date.

BMW techs don't choose which module to update, they just plug in and press 'update' and it does whatever it needs to.

So unless this 'fix' is being executed as a manual intervention by more experienced techs, outside of the general update process, then it seems to follow that your whole car will be brought up to date.

Unless someone has more detail???
The fix is only the Cas module.

Yes, the techs can usually only update the whole car, but with this update, BMW have modded the system so it only touches on the Cas whilst leaving everything else as is. Can you imagine how long it would take to do a complete update on all UK cars? It's 20 mins versus up to 8 hours.

Some people are lucky and having a full car update, but it's rare.

BTW, the dealers won't be able to do it if you have any retrofits, such as Cic or new idrive controller etc. That's why I do my own.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #147
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 325i | K46 S1000RR

Quote:
That's why I do my own.
How do you do your own, and could you teach me to be a jedi master?

I am being serious btw, if there's a way I can do this update myself I'd like to know how
      12-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #148
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

From someone who was reluctant to upgrade his navigation maps using downloaded materials I'd leave it if I were you

You can change coding options yourself with the appropriate equipment but you can't do a full update as that requires the BMW software to download and proprietary equipment - neither of which is available in the PD as far as I know.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #149
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
From someone who was reluctant to upgrade his navigation maps using downloaded materials I'd leave it if I were you

You can change coding options yourself with the appropriate equipment but you can't do a full update as that requires the BMW software to download and proprietary equipment - neither of which is available in the PD as far as I know.
No I think you misunderstood me...

I'm not reluctant to update my navigation maps, I just don't trust that the software won't crash or go wrong. I am used to doing mobile phone flash updates when you can easily brick your phone. I don't like the idea of bricking my OBC and the potential cost of repairing it, that's all.

I've worked in IT for 16 years so know a thing or two about how these things work, and was disappointed to find that some of the options I had coded on my E46 couldn't be coded on my E93 (like remote closure of the roof; I'll miss that one a lot).

I've made some good progress with my dealer and they are going to do the update that will make postcodes work for £100. I'd prefer to spend £100 at the dealer than risk bricking my OBC and having to sit there with the engine running for 3 hours or however long it takes to do the update... They will also do the OBD update for free, but apparently it's different.

And strangely they've just had a bulletin from BMW saying that they should be updating the OBC on cars as part of the approved used scheme but mine was done about a week before the bulletin came out. Not sure if that's a coincidence or because of the complaint I made directly to BMW GB!
      12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #150
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

What I mean is there is far less chance of a problem updating maps (which is designed to be user-updatable) than attempting to make coding changes yourself with a dodgy eBay lead and / or trying to update the car's firmware with a firmware version from the Internet.

PS - When I started in IT we were loading programs from punch cards.....
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #151
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What I mean is there is far less chance of a problem updating maps (which is designed to be user-updatable) than attempting to make coding changes yourself with a dodgy eBay lead and / or trying to update the car's firmware with a firmware version from the Internet.

^^^^^^^^ Agreed

There is virtually no chance of bricking an ecu by updating to 2013 maps.

Flashing a Cas unit is another matter. I use a BMW Icom unit which is an expensive piece of gear. An Ebay cable might be ok for a bit of coding, but I certainly wouldn't trust it to flash an ecu with
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #152
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

So I managed to get mine booked in despite it being a 2006 model. I turned up and got turned away. Obviously I wanted to know why my car was not affected and I was told the security update was to disabled the functionality of using the blade in the key to unlock and drop the windows in the door lock. I demonstrated to them that I had this function on my 2006 but was told the update was for a ems2? and mine was an ems1 so the update couldn't be applied.

Needless to say my port has been relocated.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #153
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

lol I would have more faith in it if the maps were loaded by punchcard, but I suspect it would take about 1000 years to load that much data!

Quote:
^^^^^^^^ Agreed

There is virtually no chance of bricking an ecu by updating to 2013 maps.

Flashing a Cas unit is another matter. I use a BMW Icom unit which is an expensive piece of gear. An Ebay cable might be ok for a bit of coding, but I certainly wouldn't trust it to flash an ecu with
Yep, fair enough. When I bought the maps I didn't realise they were designed to be user-updatable as everything I'd read pointed towards the dealer doing it or people remotely coding my car and me having to buy an OBD cable and stuff. This was mostly from older posts in the US forum.

Anyway I have the official maps and an official activation code. And am waaaay off topic.

So I'll just post with the spiel BMW GB gave me about security:

"On your final point regarding vehicle security, we are aware that criminal activity is becoming increasingly sophisticated. However, in terms of security, your vehicle was built to a standard that meets the criteria required to comply with all required legislations. I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that there is no manufacturing defect with your vehicle; at the time of it being built, this particular kind of crime did not exist. However, as BMW takes security very seriously, we are always updating and enhancing software. I have checked our system and can confirm that a security measure is available for your vehicle, to mitigate against this type of attack. To enable your vehicle to benefit from this additional enhancement, I have added its details to our database. You will be contacted in the near future by the staff at BMW Park Lane as soon as they are able to book your vehicle into the dealership, in order for this work to be carried out. This will be carried out free of charge as a goodwill gesture."

Looking at the above, you might have to contact them and get your car added to a database before they will do the update.
      12-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #154
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

had mine done on Monday gone...took them half a day. I was really chuffed when they said they carried out the coil pack update on my car as well. No more stuttering at low speeds and a smooth pur from the engine once again.

They did ask about the 'cookes ferry' mod to the OBD and what it was for (think it was the first time they saw it) but were absolutely fine with it and actually seemed to think it was a good idea!
Appreciate 0