E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost gauge placement

01-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #45
Jay@ATP
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 06 EVO IX

OK. I got the perfect solution for everyone in this thread. The ones that want gauges and the ones that dont.

IMO, if you mod a turbo car, you NEED a boost gauge or reading of some sort.
Even a stock car could use a boost gauge but its not needed.

I also think a modded car should have a Wideband O2 sensor.

Now for the gauge/system to use a --------- Zeitronix ZT2

This is a WB O2 system with datalogging. It can log RPM, TPS & AFR right out the box. It can log boost & EGT with additional sensors. It also has a user input.

Theres two ways your could run this. You could get the ZT2 system with boost sensor and do one of two things...

1) The system installs behind the dash. You can run a cord to say. your glove box. Then when ever you want to check boost or AFR, you could hook up a laptop and take a couple logs.

2) There is also a digital LCD gauge availalble. It seems like it would go with the BMW interior more then a tradational gauge.

There is also a black LCD too. Could only find a samll pic

I have this dataloggin system in my EVO. I dont use the gauge. I just log with the laptop when tuning. I do have a regular boost gauge on the steering
colum, though. I have the cord that hooks to the laptop in my glove box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 02:31 AM   #46
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

^Jay, I was going to bring up Zietronix as well...but I think the boost moves too fast for you go read. The zeitronix is great for datalogging, like you said. Several of my friends have them in their Evos, but, like you, in addition to the Zeitronix, they have a boost gauge for an easier way to read the boost reading.

I thought about going the Zeitronix route, at the time, it would've been cheaper than getting all 3 of my Defi gauges, the gruppe-s panel for them, and control unit...but the Defi's do look cool and are very functional
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 04:14 AM   #47
Jay@ATP
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 06 EVO IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
^Jay, I was going to bring up Zietronix as well...but I think the boost moves too fast for you go read. The zeitronix is great for datalogging, like you said. Several of my friends have them in their Evos, but, like you, in addition to the Zeitronix, they have a boost gauge for an easier way to read the boost reading.

I thought about going the Zeitronix route, at the time, it would've been cheaper than getting all 3 of my Defi gauges, the gruppe-s panel for them, and control unit...but the Defi's do look cool and are very functional
Yeah, I like to see the needle sweeping, but I think a digital goes more with the BMW interior and its less, for lack of a better word, "rice".

There is a button on the side of the display you press to see what max boost was hit. Also, when you do a 3rd gear pull and have a nice boost curve, you can see what boost your holding while driving and such.

In my 335i, I'll probably just install the system and just log, not use the digital gauge.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #48
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
damb how much is the digital guage!! is there any other small digital readouts??
      01-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #49
x7original4x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

heres the website....it tells you what it comes with and how much it is...I believe it says that you have to buy da boost sensor and some other stuff optionally(<<<is that a word)?

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #50
bimmertec
Rep
Drives: e90 335I arrives late feb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman951
Its not about rice and bling bling.
Its about having the information about the car.
The 335 should have not only come with a boost gauge, but also a water temp gauge.
I am so used to looking at the water temps gauge as a reference to when the car is hot enough to ge on it.But also an indication if the car is maybe getting to hot before overheating happens.
Maybe its just me but i dont like using just warning lights.

The factory cluster is nice and simple, but having boost and water temp would have been nicer. Even digital on the computer would have been nice.
The reason why BWW does not use coolant guages on the new cars is they run much hotter than their older cars(for emissions/performance reasons) and if they had a guage to reflect this the majority of customers will think their car is overheating and take to the dealer for no reason.
      11-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #51
B'CahiLL-The Boss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 with Kellener's - next. AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashero View Post
True a small boost leak can affect performance rob you of horsepower. But in reallity, even a boost gauge will not let you know if you have a boost leak. Our car only run 8-9 psi of boost which is whimsical. Until you running 20+ psi should you start to worry about boost leak and heavy duty hose clamp.
I took my car in for service, my car felt like it doesn't spool as hard!

I'm wondering what I can do to make sure everything is normal...

I saw two 20 y/o working on my car!

FUCK THAT SHIT...
      11-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #52
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'CahiLL-The Boss View Post
I took my car in for service, my car felt like it doesn't spool as hard!

I'm wondering what I can do to make sure everything is normal...

I saw two 20 y/o working on my car!

FUCK THAT SHIT...

How is this related?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #53
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
No, a boost gauge works off of intake manifold pressure, where you "T" off of one of the vac lines. Since both of your turbo's are feeding into the same charge pipes that go to your intercooler, there is no need for two boost gauges. You are only interested in how much boost the engine is being fed.
Here's a pic Terry sent me for a boost gauge hook-up(drivers side of the engine). He replaced the factory "T" w/a "4-way"...
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:27 AM   #54
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'CahiLL-The Boss View Post
I took my car in for service, my car felt like it doesn't spool as hard! I'm wondering what I can do to make sure everything is normal...I saw two 20 y/o working on my car! FUCK THAT SHIT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
How is this related?
LOL...it's not. Unless he's looking for us to say it's time to get a boost gauge.

I was going to say he forgot to reinstall his piggyback....LOL
      11-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #55
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugs View Post
Here's a pic Terry sent me for a boost gauge hook-up(drivers side of the engine). He replaced the factory "T" w/a "4-way"...
Excellent photo Rugs.

Ok, time for me to stop screwing around, and install a boost gauge. Question about the pic above: I thought that you needed the boost sensor to pick up a positive manifold pressure reading from intake tubes between the intercooler and the intake manifold. How does a vacuum reading convert to a PSI reading. From the looks of that vacuum T, 15psi would blow those hoses right off the T.

Sorry for the noob question, but how exactly does this work?
      11-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #56
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

The way that picture shows can be for an electrical gauge or a mechanical gauge.

Electrical Gauge
Hose coming from the tee gets routed and connected to a sensor. From the sensor it gets converted and usually goes to a control unit inside the interior. I know the Defi's run this way since I used to had them and I believe the boost sensor doesn't change between the Defi-Link gauges and the Defi BF gauges.

Mechanical Gauge
Hose coming from the tee gets routed all the way into the interior and connects directly to the boost gauge. No sensor between, but make sure there are no kinks in the boost line as it will provide inaccurate data.

A good rule of thumb is to zip-tie all boost vac lines, so they don't pop off. Better to be safe then sorry.

I know with my evo I believe RRM had created carbon fiber inserts for the glove box so you can cut your own cut outs to insert gauges, control unit etc into the glove box. I would like to see this for the 335, though I just ordered my car, so I don't know how much room we have in the glove box to do this.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 03:13 AM   #57
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
The way that picture shows can be for an electrical gauge or a mechanical gauge.

Electrical Gauge
Hose coming from the tee gets routed and connected to a sensor. From the sensor it gets converted and usually goes to a control unit inside the interior. I know the Defi's run this way since I used to had them and I believe the boost sensor doesn't change between the Defi-Link gauges and the Defi BF gauges.

Mechanical Gauge
Hose coming from the tee gets routed all the way into the interior and connects directly to the boost gauge. No sensor between, but make sure there are no kinks in the boost line as it will provide inaccurate data.

A good rule of thumb is to zip-tie all boost vac lines, so they don't pop off. Better to be safe then sorry.

I know with my evo I believe RRM had created carbon fiber inserts for the glove box so you can cut your own cut outs to insert gauges, control unit etc into the glove box. I would like to see this for the 335, though I just ordered my car, so I don't know how much room we have in the glove box to do this.
Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.

FWIW there is not a lot of room in the glove box. I actually keep the manual in the glove box and that's about it for room...
      11-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #58
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.

FWIW there is not a lot of room in the glove box. I actually keep the manual in the glove box and that's about it for room...
bump
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #59
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
bump
What are you bumping for?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #60
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
What are you bumping for?
since my memory is going, bumbing helps me keep track of the various threads of interest.

everybody bumbs, or registrers, why do u ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #61
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
since my memory is going, bumbing helps me keep track of the various threads of interest.

everybody bumbs, or registrers, why do u ask.
Typically people bump because they are trying to get the thread to the top of the first page, not to register. If you want to keep track or "subscribe" to threads, just go to the top where you see the "thread tools" and then click on "subscribe to thread". Then you can go to your "USERCP" and look down the left column to "List subscriptions". They are all in one place.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #62
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Typically people bump because they are trying to get the thread to the top of the first page, not to register. If you want to keep track or "subscribe" to threads, just go to the top where you see the "thread tools" and then click on "subscribe to thread". Then you can go to your "USERCP" and look down the left column to "List subscriptions". They are all in one place.
thanks for the tip. if it works u will see less 'bumps" in the road (at least from me...hope u guys get that helix tune out soon, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #63
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ladies Wild

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
yep, I too would like to have a boost gauge
      11-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #64
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Bimmer06 View Post
yep, I too would like to have a boost gauge
yeah, i am just waiting for someone <or me< to figure out which guages work best, install easy, and LOOK best some where in the cabin.... i do not want to put the guage in the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #65
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah, i am just waiting for someone <or me< to figure out which guages work best, install easy, and LOOK best some where in the cabin.... i do not want to put the guage in the glove box.
I put mine in my drivers side vent. Check my DIY.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #66
BMWTECH#007
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 & 325is, 08 335i, 08 M3

I wanna see it installed.
Appreciate 0