E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

11-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #441
mikeouk
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 325D m sport

I can't understand why people actually buy new rims from the dealer and then put run flats back on, if they get replaced foc,fair enough, but the problem is just going to re occur. The argument for oem rims is mute in this instance, far better putting £1000 into a new set of after market rims and non run flats, the car looks better and rides better and no worries about cracking,,,no brainer

BLUE WATER, CORAL RED LEATHER
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #442
jdommitch
James
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 325 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeouk View Post
I can't understand why people actually buy new rims from the dealer and then put run flats back on, if they get replaced foc,fair enough, but the problem is just going to re occur. The argument for oem rims is mute in this instance, far better putting £1000 into a new set of after market rims and non run flats, the car looks better and rides better and no worries about cracking,,,no brainer
Absolutely. If there is a known problem with the product why would you pay to get more of the same problem? Why take the risk?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #443
jdommitch
James
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rG-tom View Post
why are your chances slim? What have they actually said?

But 17s would look rubbish so no I wouldn't consider it.
The car is out of warranty (just) and was bought privately.Well I haven't pushed it with them, but you are right, I should.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #444
mikeouk
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 325D m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdommitch View Post
The car is out of warranty (just) and was bought privately.Well I haven't pushed it with them, but you are right, I should.
it shouldnt matter that the car is out of warranty or bought privately, the fact is these rims are not man enough for the combination of run flats and english roads. Alot of dealers will try sell you new rims and say they will then do a test on your old ones and if they are within a pre determined tolerance on a run out test, they will then ask bmw for a "good will" payment. Bmw seem to have loosened up on this, I know a few people who've had rims replaced now FOC, they still wont admit theres a problem with the rims and try to make the process as difficult as possible hoping most people will just forget it.
Heres my advice to you,,,,if youve got a spare set of wheels,fit them, if not, buy a cheap set to keep you mobile, as luck would have it, i know where theres a set with good tyres going cheap http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604876

then get your tyres removed from the damaged rims, if you have a good local engineering company, ask them if they will test the "roundness" of the rims, this can be done by mounting the rim in a lathe chuck (needs to be a big industrial sized lathe) and then testing with a dial test indicator. im not certain on the bmw tolerance, but its stated somewhere in this thread. You might have to give them a little cash to do this of course but its cheaper than taking them to the dealer to do it first, only for them to tell you the wheels are out of tolerance and blame you (or previous owner) for driving down pot holes. If the wheels are in tolerance try to take videoed evidence on your phone or something, then book the wheels in to your local dealer for the run out test, you'll have to pay for this but you know the wheels are going to pass, then tell them you want all the damaged rims replaced by bmw. Once you have your new shiny rims, flog them on ebay, and buy a decent set of aftermarket rims with non run flats, and then sell the wheels and tyres you should buy off me for more (or the same).
Amen

BLUE WATER, CORAL RED LEATHER
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #445
Number55
Rep
Drives: '07' 330d M sport

just read through most of this thread over the last few days.

I recently purchased a 07 330d m sport(bought privately), fitted with the 18" MV3 wheels, thinking the wheel cracking issues were confined to the 19" MV4 wheels.

3 weeks in and i now find i have 2 cracked rear wheels!

Car is still fitted with, Bridgestone run flats.

When i discovered the first wheel cracked i called the local main BMW dealer, who suprise suprise are not interested, car not bought from them and no longer under warranty.

So i bought a refurbed wheel to replace the cracked wheel.

While having this changed over i had the tyre place, remove the opposite wheel to check it over, and yes it also has a very small crack in it. Its not loosing air at the moment but it can only get worse.

Not sure its worth pursuing with BMW, thought please???
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #446
jdommitch
James
United Kingdom
Rep

If you pick up the earlier parts of this thread some people no longer experience the problem when they loose the run flat tyres. I think you could get new 19" with non run flats.

Is it worth pursuing? I think so. They can only say no.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #447
willwool
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i SE Coupe

Alloy wheel repair in Reading

Having been in the same situation as many posters here, I was also looking at a very expensive bill for replacement alloys, made worse by the fact that I would be spending all this money and still have the underlying problem.

Fortunately my local tyre shop recommended Shadow Wheels and Tyres in Reading (www.shadow-wheels.co.uk) as having a good selection of lower cost alloy wheels and a repair service for small cracks in alloy wheels. I decided to visit Shadow for an independent check before walking into the local main dealer to be told the inevitable.

Shadow checked all four wheels for cracks without charging. Very knowledgeable and friendly people. Fortunately it was only the one wheel with the flat tyre that had cracked. At a very reasonable £40 it was an easy decision to get my wheel was repaired and I can now enjoy my BMW again knowing that I can keep my nice alloys and if it happens again the cost will not bankrupt me!

PS – I have absolutely no connection with Shadow. Just posting this to possibly help others near Reading.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #448
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

Hi All,
New to Forum, just thought I would add my story to this....

Took my 335i M Sport con(58 plate) in for MOT on Monday, was advised, cracked rear alloy and all 4 Bridgestone runflats were "delaminating" due to under inflation, was told bill would be £1954.00....... As you can imagine 'one' was very shocked at this as car only done 20k....

Dealer has carried out test on alloy and has replaced under warranty, only after I went in the next day and mentioned the fact that I have done some research!... ie this forum and it seems that this is very widespread problem......

Dealer was Vines - redhill so I would suggest if you having problems with your local dealer changing alloys under warranty, go there, I gotta say they were very good.....

I have purchased a set of Pirelli(sp) run flats to go back on car..... £900.00 all 4 from Kwik Fit(they wanted £1600.00)

I will be keeping the Bridgestones so I can contact them as I feel these tyres were not fit for purpose...

I am more than willing to join any campaign against BMW or Bridgestone as this is a major issue an we all need to stick together on this, someone is gonna die due to this issue.....

Plus the fact that I have lost £20,000 on a car I brought 2 years ago, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth...

Feels better I got that off my chest.... lol

Rufnek.....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #449
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnickers View Post
A couple of comments that may prove useful:

1 The court environment is not at all intimidating. I sued a courier some years ago in Birmingham and they attended the hearing with their lawyer; I was on my own, deliberately. My case was supported by an expert's statement (it concerned an antique). I felt a distinct empathy towards me from the judge - a sense of "you are the honest one here, and the big company bullies are on the other side"...but you do need to ensure you have evidence to support your assertions. The judge asked me to think very hard about whether there had been any other costs associated with the whole process (he hinted at travel costs to court when I looked puzzled) and then found in my favour. The bullies on the other side left with their tails firmly between their legs. Dress appropriately for court, not too flash, not to scruffy.

2 I've been watching your thread for a while and I think the Mira report - even if it's still in draft form - is highly relevant. A preliminary report from an expert is worth more than - forgive me everyone - a bunch of car enthusiasts who may be perceived as wanting new wheels. If you haven't had a (contradictory) final report then I would focus my explanation to the judge on (a) your history of similar problems with other vehicles [presumably none]; (b) the care you take of your car; (c) the corroboration of that care [absence of damage] by Mira; (d) the fact that wheels offered as an optional extra should be capable of meeting the requirements of the markets for which they are addressed [after all, suspension tuning is often different for the UK market]; (e) you know from research on the internet that others have had what appear to be similar problems to you though you haven't had the resources to determine whether they are exactly the same [a bit of hearsay is fine but don't overdo it]; (f) your belief is that BMW is very concerned about this issue and the potential costs associated with a safety recall...indeed the reluctance of them to take responsibility for their product has only served to deepen your resolve in seeing a fair outcome.

Finally, I nearly didn't post this...as BMW will be watching it. They know they have a problem. They know they will need to resolve it. And as someone who has had 6 BMWs, I'm watching their response to this with great interest.

Good luck, Nick
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #450
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Just replacing all the wheels isn't so straight forward.

A lot of aftermarket replicas are poor quality and going for any of the non-oem designs often means your car will look like its owned by a chav.

There isn't any other bmw wheel design in 18" that looks as good as the mw3.
Jumping up to 19's means you have to buy a new set of tyres and take a hit on ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #451
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

I had the dreaded tyre pressure warning message come up this evening, and low and behold one of the rears was down on pressure approx 0.5bar. I've checked as much as i could in the dark and there doesn't seem to be an obvious puncture. The car is under AUC so im preparing myself for a conversation with BMW when i've had the wheel checked tomorrow. Any recommendations on dealers in London who are aware of the issue and wont play silly beggars with me? Closest to me are Park Lane and Berry Chiswick.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #452
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.com View Post
I had the dreaded tyre pressure warning message come up this evening, and low and behold one of the rears was down on pressure approx 0.5bar. I've checked as much as i could in the dark and there doesn't seem to be an obvious puncture. The car is under AUC so im preparing myself for a conversation with BMW when i've had the wheel checked tomorrow. Any recommendations on dealers in London who are aware of the issue and wont play silly beggars with me? Closest to me are Park Lane and Berry Chiswick.
I would suggest the dealer you bought the car from if possible. In addition to your AUC and any BMW UK involvement due to the known fault, they have a responsibility towards you under the sale of goods act.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #453
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

id read a little about wheel cracking issues but hadn't realised how big of a deal it is. it seems there are many instances of this happening. is it confined to 1 or 2 types and styles of wheel?

im buying a 335i with 19 inch 225style wheels over the next couple of month so want to know how prone these are to cracking.

i have already started to consider aftermarket wheels but would prefer to keep original wheels with the fear off after markets taking away from the look of the car. what is the general feeling of replica csl style wheels on the e90 coupe?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #454
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209 View Post
i have already started to consider aftermarket wheels but would prefer to keep original wheels with the fear off after markets taking away from the look of the car. what is the general feeling of replica csl style wheels on the e90 coupe?
There's also the danger that your insurance premium may go up if you fit none OEM wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #455
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
There's also the danger that your insurance premium may go up if you fit none OEM wheels
I would imagine it wouldn't be a great deal though. And probably far less than what it would cost to repair/replace cracked wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #456
delboy355
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320dMSportTouring+306Rallye

Bought some wheels of ebay

Hi
I bought a 2006 320d M Sport touring in December, took it for a checkup at BMW and they told me I had a cracked near side rear wheel.. and it was £360 odd for a new wheel. I have MV3 wheels.

I went onto eBay and found a place called WheelDoctor in Stanmore that were advertising 4 new wheels direct from Ronal in Germany for £500.

They arrived today but they are all 18 x 8J whereas the rear wheels I have are 8.5J.

I have spoken to the bloke and he has said that BMW have now changed the wheels from 8.5J to 8J as they were having problems with them cracking.. does anyone know if this is true?

I believe the fitment has changed to compensate for the narrower wheels.

I will be changing to non-run-flats at the first opportuinty..

Last edited by delboy355; 01-31-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #457
twisted-pixel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330

I've suffered 5 of these now (all rears)...and BMW simply don't want to know. That's a cost of about £4k!!

The first time I contacted them the guy on the suport desk claimed he had never heard of a cracked alloy from BMW before (yeah right!!) and as it turns out, he didn't even log my call!!

the cracks

3 were MV4 (style 225)
2 were Twisted Spoke (style 230)

I've moved away from RFTs, and dropped the pressures slightly. I've even been taking the same route to work for 4 years and know where all the potholes are etc and make sure I don't hit any of them...makes no difference. The only thing I have noticed, is that the colder the weather, the more likely the crack as the alloy hardens in the cold.

BMW are offering to 'test' my wheel but the last time I did, they said it was out of tolerance and charged me for the testing. Of course it's out of tolerance..it's cracked!!

how is it that Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and even Ford don't have this problem yet drive on the same roads as we do??
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #458
SeanH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport Alpine White

Can you replace a RFT with a non-RFT on say a MV3?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #459
twisted-pixel
Registered
Rep

yes..do it...do not use RFTs!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #460
twisted-pixel
Registered
Rep

quick question. Does anyone know a place in the UK (preferably in the Buckinghamshire region) that repairs these alloys? Previously I've just sold them on Ebay for £20 but I'd prefer to get this one repaired and keep it as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #461
Simert
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520d

Tyre flat this morning. Had it checked. Cracked alloy

230 twisted rear wheel.

Found a place in Warwick that will weld it for £50 ish.
BMW wanting £430.

Inevitable by the sounds of it.

Will definitely be trying non run flats when the tyres need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #462
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

f*ck me sideways. Just read this thread (well some of it). This problem seems to affect loads of cars. Why on earth has there not been a safety recall on BMW wheels? I just hope to god someones wheel doesnt split at 80 mph and cause serious injury/death. Shame on BMW.
Appreciate 0