E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Car-BQ--Last Sunday of the month (12/30)--hosted by NTBC and The Car Cellar

12-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
driveslow
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M

Car-BQ--Last Sunday of the month (12/30)--hosted by NTBC and The Car Cellar

posted up our monthly meet on facebook, join the page and let us know if you can make it!

when: Last Sunday of the month (12/30)
where: The Car Cellar in Dallas
2605 Freewood Dr, Dallas, TX 75220
Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/NorthTexasBimmersClub
Food and drinks: yes

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3 Black/Black

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
See everyone there. Hoping that I'll have my car back...again! Sporting a loaner 335d this time. haha. Guess it'll depend on how long it takes BoD to drop a new engine in the car, since it looks like that is what they are going to have to do to cure the incessant knocking noise!
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Wookie420
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe/Space Gray

Garage List
2010 335i (E92)  [10.00]
Damn man, new motor already?!?!? In an '11?? What happen???? If you know, that is.

COBB Stage 2+ AGGRESSIVE / STETT Cold-Air Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / TiAL Blow-off Valve / ETS 5" Front-Mount Intercooler / Active Autowerke 3" Catless Downpipes / Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust / AST 4100 Coilovers / OS Giken Superlock LSD / All MOTUL Fluids
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
driveslow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny214 View Post
See everyone there. Hoping that I'll have my car back...again! Sporting a loaner 335d this time. haha. Guess it'll depend on how long it takes BoD to drop a new engine in the car, since it looks like that is what they are going to have to do to cure the incessant knocking noise!
I almost traded in my M3 for the 335D...I'm in love with those things
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie420 View Post
Damn man, new motor already?!?!? In an '11?? What happen???? If you know, that is.
Suspect that it is a bent rod plate or a bad rod bearing. :-/ Obviously an issue from factory because I've heard those engines can take a beating. Good thing? My car starts over at zero miles...essentially

As for the 335d, ugh I am dying. I have to use my pinky toe when driving my 11 335i...with the 335d, I feel like my foot is about to go through the floor and I'll be Fred Flintstone'ing my ass around town. Not sure if all 335d's are like that, or just this one, but it seems like it takes a LOT to get it going and it sounds like a big rig :-/ There isn't that "growl" to the engine that the 335i has.
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
driveslow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Suspect that it is a bent rod plate or a bad rod bearing. :-/ Obviously an issue from factory because I've heard those engines can take a beating. Good thing? My car starts over at zero miles...essentially

As for the 335d, ugh I am dying. I have to use my pinky toe when driving my 11 335i...with the 335d, I feel like my foot is about to go through the floor and I'll be Fred Flintstone'ing my ass around town. Not sure if all 335d's are like that, or just this one, but it seems like it takes a LOT to get it going and it sounds like a big rig :-/ There isn't that "growl" to the engine that the 335i has.
well the one I drove had a renntech tune on it and was doing about 340hp and 480tq, that thing hauled a$$.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Update for my North Texas peeps

They are saying now that it isn't a rod issue or a valvetronic issue, though the knocking they said would lead them to believe it could be either of those. They have narrowed it down to the transmission. Here is what they told me:

They disconnected the torque converter from the fly wheel and the sound went away. So per their PUMA they re-connected the torque converter and tightened it. They said it was off by 190, but that still didn't fix the knocking. They put in a tc request to have the transmission replaced. The tc came back and said that this knocking noise was normal. They said it develops sometimes in these cars. The solution is a rubber plug ordered from Germany that dampens/eliminates the knocking.

While I do not agree with the "this is normal" comment, it appears that this issue is a known defect by BMW. So they have a fix for it if the defect rears its ugly head. It echos up from below the engine and into the engine bay, thus giving the illusion that it is a bad vanos or rod.

The part will be here in 4 weeks, at which point they'll put it on and verify the knocking is gone. While they can't guarantee this will fix the issue, they are nearly 100% positive it will.

Only thing that annoys me is when I got my car back from BMW of Dallas it was...less than desirable. First time I ever took my car there I got it back smelling like an ash tray and food between the seats. They gave me a free interior/exterior detail. So I took it in and got it back with soap all over the paint and a mildew smell inside (they had shampooed the carpets and the rugs, put the rugs on the carpets both still wet, closed all the windows, and sat the car in texas heat). I didn't want to go back this time, but classic bmw sent me there (for those who know the story, you know why classic sent me there).

This time I get the car back and my full tank of gas is now empty, there are a LOT of extra miles on the car, there is soap all over the paint after having told them on check-in not to wash the car because I had just waxed it and I knew that their wash didn't always remove all the soap, my radio was blasting when I turned the car on, and the guy who brought my car to the service drive was getting WAY to heavy on the gas for it to be a cold start in 52 degree temps.

There were number of other little things that I noted about the car. When I spoke to customer service she as actually impressed about all the tiny details I noticed were different in the car saying, "It isn't often I get someone calling me who knows details like that. You obviously really take care of your car."

Anyways, enough of my rant. Good news is the car is back, I've requested to have the part sent to Classic to be put on the car, and then it'll be all set to put the charge pipe, down pipe, and new cobb ap on! WOOT!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
driveslow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Update for my North Texas peeps

They are saying now that it isn't a rod issue or a valvetronic issue, though the knocking they said would lead them to believe it could be either of those. They have narrowed it down to the transmission. Here is what they told me:

They disconnected the torque converter from the fly wheel and the sound went away. So per their PUMA they re-connected the torque converter and tightened it. They said it was off by 190, but that still didn't fix the knocking. They put in a tc request to have the transmission replaced. The tc came back and said that this knocking noise was normal. They said it develops sometimes in these cars. The solution is a rubber plug ordered from Germany that dampens/eliminates the knocking.

While I do not agree with the "this is normal" comment, it appears that this issue is a known defect by BMW. So they have a fix for it if the defect rears its ugly head. It echos up from below the engine and into the engine bay, thus giving the illusion that it is a bad vanos or rod.

The part will be here in 4 weeks, at which point they'll put it on and verify the knocking is gone. While they can't guarantee this will fix the issue, they are nearly 100% positive it will.

Only thing that annoys me is when I got my car back from BMW of Dallas it was...less than desirable. First time I ever took my car there I got it back smelling like an ash tray and food between the seats. They gave me a free interior/exterior detail. So I took it in and got it back with soap all over the paint and a mildew smell inside (they had shampooed the carpets and the rugs, put the rugs on the carpets both still wet, closed all the windows, and sat the car in texas heat). I didn't want to go back this time, but classic bmw sent me there (for those who know the story, you know why classic sent me there).

This time I get the car back and my full tank of gas is now empty, there are a LOT of extra miles on the car, there is soap all over the paint after having told them on check-in not to wash the car because I had just waxed it and I knew that their wash didn't always remove all the soap, my radio was blasting when I turned the car on, and the guy who brought my car to the service drive was getting WAY to heavy on the gas for it to be a cold start in 52 degree temps.

There were number of other little things that I noted about the car. When I spoke to customer service she as actually impressed about all the tiny details I noticed were different in the car saying, "It isn't often I get someone calling me who knows details like that. You obviously really take care of your car."

Anyways, enough of my rant. Good news is the car is back, I've requested to have the part sent to Classic to be put on the car, and then it'll be all set to put the charge pipe, down pipe, and new cobb ap on! WOOT!
I would rip BMW dallas a new one if I found all that crap in my car. hope everything works out!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well I got my survey E-Mail today. Not only was I very detailed, I checked the box requesting that BMW of North America contact me. I already told Customer Service and I have not had a call back, and they were supposed to call me on Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
driveslow
Private
Rep

bumppp event coming up semi soon..let us know if you can make it!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Wookie420
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2010 335i (E92)  [10.00]
I should be able to make it

COBB Stage 2+ AGGRESSIVE / STETT Cold-Air Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / TiAL Blow-off Valve / ETS 5" Front-Mount Intercooler / Active Autowerke 3" Catless Downpipes / Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust / AST 4100 Coilovers / OS Giken Superlock LSD / All MOTUL Fluids
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Mattah
Private
Rep
Drives: MS

can a bone stock 335i come haha
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
Wookie420
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2010 335i (E92)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattah View Post
Yes!

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattah View Post

Just kidding, of course See you there!

FYI I might be bringing both cars to this one...

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
edlugo07
Triple White
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i white

I was just about to post to see when and where will the last meet of the year was going to be happy to see someone beat me to it ill be going
      12-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
driveslow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post

Just kidding, of course See you there!

FYI I might be bringing both cars to this one...
you can park them center stage
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
driveslow
Private
Rep

also if anyone wants to volunteer and bring a TV out there that would be great! I'm going to bring GT5 out there if anyone wants to play!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'll be there.

Got the cobb ap on the car. Next is to put the charge pipe back on, put the down pipe on, and get my new LUX H8 lights on....wish BMW would hurry and get that damn part in so I can get rid of the rattle and put my mods back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
driveslow
Private
Rep

hope to see you all in a few hours!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great turnout today! So....I'm trying to think of something that is like the "Hello, my name is..." tags but for our cars. I'd love to know which car belongs to which forum member.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
Blaster335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Great turnout today! So....I'm trying to think of something that is like the "Hello, my name is..." tags but for our cars. I'd love to know which car belongs to which forum member.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

I had the 1 series projekt 1 car.