E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Dealer is now doing carbon cleaning.

04-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #199
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Here is the manifold for $764. Ive ordered from that site before and delivery was good. 58% is a lot of markup...

part number according to realOEM is 11618519140
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #200
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Thanks a lot Hooper.

I just got beck from my dealer. Apparently the intake manifold is OK so they won't do anything about it. It is the cylinder head that need to remove and send out for cleaning ($350).
The $1400 is for all the gaskets and bolts that need to be replaced once the manifold and cylinder head are being worked on.

The guy is willing to help me out by offering a 15% discount on parts and labor.

I think the car is just not worth putting all that money into it. I seriously want to get rid of it at this point.

I don't get something here.
Apparently all the runners inside the cylinder head are dirty (CBU), valves and everything according to them.

I have been using additives to keep the engine clean and not have this issue.

Are additives just snake oil or did the additives contribute to the problem? Maybe dislodge some of the ash and clog up other things?

I got some more (supposedly) good additives which I intend on using after I change the oil. Then run the car like crazy. Hopefully that will clean it up good.

The only other thing I am willing to invest in this money pit is the EGR blanking plates.
I hope that will keep the engine clean(er).

Hooper, do you work at a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #201
dixy2k
Major
Rep

They will put it together so I can pick it up tomorrow.

If the intake manifold is not dirty, just the cylinder head, would some walnut shell blasting shop be able to do the work for me (at a lower cost then the dealer) since the dealer is outsourcing the work anyway?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #202
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Are there any shops you guys would recommend in California?
I am willing to travel within the state.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #203
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
I just got beck from my dealer. Apparently the intake manifold is OK so they won't do anything about it. It is the cylinder head that need to remove and send out for cleaning ($350).
The $1400 is for all the gaskets and bolts that need to be replaced once the manifold and cylinder head are being worked on.

The guy is willing to help me out by offering a 15% discount on parts and labor.
it sounds like you guys were maybe one two different pages. The total would be $1750 and then 15% off? Thats not terrible

Quote:
I don't get something here.
Apparently all the runners inside the cylinder head are dirty (CBU), valves and everything according to them.

I have been using additives to keep the engine clean and not have this issue.

Are additives just snake oil or did the additives contribute to the problem? Maybe dislodge some of the ash and clog up other things?
I dont buy into the whole additives to keep it clean idea. I believe there are additives that can help it burn more completely or cleanly, or provide more lubricity in the fuel, but I wouldnt expect them to keep the intake any cleaner since there still is going to be soot production.

Quote:
The only other thing I am willing to invest in this money pit is the EGR blanking plates.
I hope that will keep the engine clean(er).
EGR plates should definitely be the best bang for your buck solution to CBU.

Quote:
Hooper, do you work at a dealership?
no, Ive just tried to keep up with this CBU thing so I can stay ahead of the issue with mine

Quote:

If the intake manifold is not dirty, just the cylinder head, would some walnut shell blasting shop be able to do the work for me (at a lower cost then the dealer) since the dealer is outsourcing the work anyway?
If you can get a shop to do it there is no reason it wouldnt work. its the same thing BMW is suggesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #204
daveN007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:

Something doesn't sound right here.

You don't have to take the head off to clean the part of the head where carbon builds up. Does this shop not have the walnut blasting tool and attachments? Don't you just remove the valve cover?

It doesn't seem to make sense that your intake manifold could be "not dirty".

Maybe they think it is not dirty enough to make cleaning it absolutely vital to getting your car running. But that sounds like doing half of the job.

Guys...this makes no sense to me. Help me understand how this fits with the SIB from BMW regarding cleaning procedures...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=166

Last edited by daveN007; 04-28-2014 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #205
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveN007 View Post
Something doesn't sound right here.

You don't have to take the head off to clean the part of the head where carbon builds up. Does this shop not have the walnut blasting tool and attachments?

It doesn't seem to make sense that your intake manifold could be "not dirty".

Maybe they think it is not dirty enough to make cleaning it absolutely vital to getting your car running. But that sounds like doing half of the job.

Guys...this makes no sense to me. Help me understand how this fits with the SIB from BMW regarding cleaning procedures...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=166

I asked the SA about the SIB Hooper mentioned and the answer was "absolutely we checked it out and know the procedure".

I asked him about replacing the manifold instead of cleaning it and I was told there is nothing wrong with the manifold, but instead it is the cylinder head.

It needs to be taken out because it has so many bends and small passages that it is impossible to clean out. (I just don't buy it).

They essentially want $1400 for the gaskets and bolts plus $3200 for labor.
The actual blasting costs only $350 at a independent shop where they have to send it out to.

Out of the whole thing they are willing to take 15% off. Roughly $4200 at the end.

I kept searching and found out it should be between $400 and $600 depending where you do it, indy vs dealer.
All of them are out of (my) state.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #206
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
it sounds like you guys were maybe one two different pages. The total would be $1750 and then 15% off? Thats not terrible

No, more like $5000 and 15% off of it.

EGR plates should definitely be the best bang for your buck solution to CBU.

it's the last thing I am willing to do for this car

If you can get a shop to do it there is no reason it wouldnt work. its the same thing BMW is suggesting.
The dealer sends the head out to a local shop anyway. I just don't know where. Been searching online and I cannot find any around where I live.
I found one Mini Indy shop about 60-70 miles away. I'll call them to see how they can help. I also spoke with a couple of other dealers around for a price quote. They will call me back when they'll remember maybe.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #207
daveN007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I asked the SA about the SIB Hooper mentioned and the answer was "absolutely we checked it out and know the procedure".

I asked him about replacing the manifold instead of cleaning it and I was told there is nothing wrong with the manifold, but instead it is the cylinder head.

It needs to be taken out because it has so many bends and small passages that it is impossible to clean out. (I just don't buy it).

They essentially want $1400 for the gaskets and bolts plus $3200 for labor.
The actual blasting costs only $350 at a independent shop where they have to send it out to.

Out of the whole thing they are willing to take 15% off. Roughly $4200 at the end.

I kept searching and found out it should be between $400 and $600 depending where you do it, indy vs dealer.
All of them are out of (my) state.
Did you read the SIB? It says to send the intake manifold out for cleaning and walnut blast the cylinder head and valves in place.

Now...I can imagine that disassembling the head and cleaning it would be more thorough...so we may have actually stumbled upon the fact that the SIB is recommending half-assed, stop-gap procedures that are less costly to BMW.

I would like to hear the reasoning behind your SA NOT adhering to the BMW procedure. Don't get me wrong, the answer could be that they don't feel comfortable taking your money to do the SIB procedure, because they know you will be back soon complaining.

This is not good. Inconsistency has me nervous.
      04-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #208
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Second dealer called, quoted me $4000. Parts and labor.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #209
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveN007 View Post
Did you read the SIB? It says to send the intake manifold out for cleaning and walnut blast the cylinder head and valves in place.

Now...I can imagine that disassembling the head and cleaning it would be more thorough...so we may have actually stumbled upon the fact that the SIB is recommending half-assed, stop-gap procedures that are less costly to BMW.

I would like to hear the reasoning behind your SA NOT adhering to the BMW procedure. Don't get me wrong, the answer could be that they don't feel comfortable taking your money to do the SIB procedure, because they know you will be back soon complaining.

This is not good. Inconsistency has me nervous.

I'm just telling you what the first SA told me. He said there is apparently nothing wrong with the manifold because the runners are big. Seriously, that's what he told me. He took me inside the shop and showed me the engine of a X5 gasser.
He only mentioned the need to clean the head, not the manifold.
I really think he was just BS'ing me all this time.

So they would not send out the intake manifold, nor would they clean it.
The $1400 is just for parts that need to be replaced (not including the manifold).

Now, the second dealer I was on the phone with just a few minutes ago, said almost the same thing regarding the cost.

But, these guys won't send out the head. They would clean it on the engine. He was looking at the SIB and quoting me at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #210
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

This is unacceptable.
There is no reason you should have to pay for all that work.
Get BMW NA involved again and let them know they have a few days to figure out how to resolve this situation or else the lawyers and media will.

Let them know what customers will feel about owning a high performance BMW that costs over $5,000 due to engine carbon build up issues at such low miles, when they see this on the news.

Reach out to the news media if you have to.
I'm sure they will get a laugh out of this outrageous claim by BMW.

Also, that SIB clearly states head does not need to be removed. You need to know the real reason they are requesting to take the head off.

Regardless, you as a BMW customer have every right to have this issue fixed and paid for by BMW. Don't loose hope. Drive the car like that if you have to, while you get the right people involved to fix this. You will win.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #211
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

So I just did a throttle adaptation, and now I have very rough idle. The car seems to drive the same though power wise. I just broke 71k miles on my 2011 with CPO still. Is this CBU? I just had an EGR replaced around 40k miles and that was it.

My code is pulled up as P02D4 (fuel delivery or something) and 135i Vs pulled up 4D5C (EGT sensor upstream) with BMWhat.
      04-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #212
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
This is unacceptable.
There is no reason you should have to pay for all that work.
Get BMW NA involved again and let them know they have a few days to figure out how to resolve this situation or else the lawyers and media will.

Let them know what customers will feel about owning a high performance BMW that costs over $5,000 due to engine carbon build up issues at such low miles, when they see this on the news.

Reach out to the news media if you have to.
I'm sure they will get a laugh out of this outrageous claim by BMW.

Also, that SIB clearly states head does not need to be removed. You need to know the real reason they are requesting to take the head off.

Regardless, you as a BMW customer have every right to have this issue fixed and paid for by BMW. Don't loose hope. Drive the car like that if you have to, while you get the right people involved to fix this. You will win.

I called BMWNA and was told warranty does not cover this procedure.
I asked them again if they have the history of my repairs, and again their answer was negative.
It's ironic since they knew last week why I called the second time regarding the real time traffic information not working on my car.
It's not working in the loaner either. They cannot figure this one out. Maybe I need to pay $5000 to have the navigation replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #213
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
So I just did a throttle adaptation, and now I have very rough idle. The car seems to drive the same though power wise. I just broke 71k miles on my 2011 with CPO still. Is this CBU? I just had an EGR replaced around 40k miles and that was it.

My code is pulled up as P02D4 (fuel delivery or something) and 135i Vs pulled up 4D5C (EGT sensor upstream) with BMWhat.
I can scan the car tomorrow for you if you like. Just text me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #214
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

I have my intake manifold cleaned in my N57 from few days and car works great, no issues anymore. Before the Swirl Flaps couldn't even work properly, now it is cleaned and looks new. I have used an ultra-sound cleaning method.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #215
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I asked The Service Manager at my dealer if CBU cleaning would be covered under the BMW extended warranty. He said it would be and that it is BMW who authorizes it, not his shop/dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:42 AM   #216
NWCT335d
Private First Class
Rep

Doesn't the SIB specifically state that the work is covered under a CPO warranty for the 335d? I am wondering if some of these dealers and possibly even BMWNA themselves are confusing the issue with carbon build-up on the 335i, which is not covered under CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #217
Orygun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCT335d View Post
Doesn't the SIB specifically state that the work is covered under a CPO warranty for the 335d?
Yes it does, in the middle of page 17 of 18 of the SIB.
"WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty or the BMW Certified Pre-Owned Program."
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #218
JR@RSW
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Gents! We have Purchased the BMW walnut blaster tool! Keep an eye out for special pricing on this service!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #219
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Got my car back today.
Paid $160 for the diagnosis. They wanted to charge me $9.95 as a waste fee. For what? Because my car is a piece of junk?

Here's what the service ticket says:
fault code 4596 cylinder #3 controller fault
found excessive carbon build up in intake ports and cylinder runners
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #220
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRSW View Post
Gents! We have Purchased the BMW walnut blaster tool! Keep an eye out for special pricing on this service!
I see a trip across the country in the near future... if my car can make it in one piece.
Appreciate 0