E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jerky or Aggressive 2-3 shift (i think)

03-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold - e90 335

Garage List
Jerky or Aggressive 2-3 shift (i think)

I have an 07 pre march built e90 with a jb4 and about 75k and for quite some time i have noticed upon slow acceleration my tranny seems to just shift aggressively or jerky. I have ridden in two other 335's and they were nearly un-noticeable when they shifted. just smooth as can be. The rest of my shifts seem to be just fine.

I think the car starts in 2nd gear (is that right) so if so, i would say the 2-3 shift is where i feel it.

Is this likely to be just an adaptation / software or is this tranny on the way out? I have spent too much time reading other threads that sound more like different issues and people are talking about needing tranny replacements which saddens me. I think i have freaked myself out LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewrican View Post
I have an 07 pre march built e90 with a jb4 and about 75k and for quite some time i have noticed upon slow acceleration my tranny seems to just shift aggressively or jerky. I have ridden in two other 335's and they were nearly un-noticeable when they shifted. just smooth as can be. The rest of my shifts seem to be just fine.

I think the car starts in 2nd gear (is that right) so if so, i would say the 2-3 shift is where i feel it.

Is this likely to be just an adaptation / software or is this tranny on the way out? I have spent too much time reading other threads that sound more like different issues and people are talking about needing tranny replacements which saddens me. I think i have freaked myself out LOL!
Car jerks a little bit when it is not warm yet.
If on Sport mode you will feel the shifts as it shifts on higher RPMs.
Post a log so we can help you more figure out what the problem is.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? If so, then change your transmission mounts.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #4
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:

Despite the BMW "lifetime" recommendation, the tranny is well served by regular fluid changes. If your shifts are not smooth, that is a definite indicator that it's time for a fluid change.

Fresh ATF resolved all of my shift quality concerns. Be aware that an ATF change does not replace all of the fluid. Each time you change the ATF you only get 1/3 of the old fluid out. So it will take 3 or 4 changes to get all of the old fluid out and make your fluid 100%.

After the first change, shifting was totally transformed.
The 2nd change, significantly less so. I've got one or two more to do as I want the ATF completely renewed, then I will switch to a 30k drain and refill interval. ATF is vital to the longevity the tranny, doubly so in high out put applications and on vehicles driven spiritedly.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Car jerks a little bit when it is not warm yet.
If on Sport mode you will feel the shifts as it shifts on higher RPMs.
Post a log so we can help you more figure out what the problem is.
I notice this rougher upshift in d. I nearly never drive in sport mode.

Where can I grab this log you are referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? If so, then change your transmission mounts.
I have not done so yet, so i guess it is about that time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Despite the BMW "lifetime" recommendation, the tranny is well served by regular fluid changes. If your shifts are not smooth, that is a definite indicator that it's time for a fluid change.

Fresh ATF resolved all of my shift quality concerns. Be aware that an ATF change does not replace all of the fluid. Each time you change the ATF you only get 1/3 of the old fluid out. So it will take 3 or 4 changes to get all of the old fluid out and make your fluid 100%.

After the first change, shifting was totally transformed.
The 2nd change, significantly less so. I've got one or two more to do as I want the ATF completely renewed, then I will switch to a 30k drain and refill interval. ATF is vital to the longevity the tranny, doubly so in high out put applications and on vehicles driven spiritedly.
If you replace the tranny filter / pan does that still only drain a third of the fluid? I am going to have my indy do the work I think. I hear it makes a mess doing it on your own and I really dont have the equipment to do it without driving myself crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

You can "power flush" for like 80%+ of the fluid, but no filter change... or drop the pan for about 40% with the filter. Can't really have your cake and eat it too on trans services. I'd probably do power flushes then do the filter when the mechatronics inevitably leak.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post
You can "power flush" for like 80%+ of the fluid, but no filter change... or drop the pan for about 40% with the filter. Can't really have your cake and eat it too on trans services. I'd probably do power flushes then do the filter when the mechatronics inevitably leak.
gotcha. if i do the fluid, ill prob just let them do the filter and they said they always do the megatraonics at the same time since they are common.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Exclamation

Quote:

If you replace the tranny filter / pan does that still only drain a third of the fluid? I am going to have my indy do the work I think. I hear it makes a mess doing it on your own and I really dont have the equipment to do it without driving myself crazy.
Yes. There will be some amount of spilled fluid. Not much though. You can put down an old rug or newspaper under the work area to ease the cleanup. Changing the pan/filter at the same time is said to remove an extra quart (which is suspended in the filter). But you still won't drain the fluid that is in the torque converter.

As for Do-It-Yourself... If you are the type to relish in a job well done, the hands on experience, and dollars saved, definitely do this on your own. Easy-shmeezy! Lol! On the other hand, if you don't have the free time, don't want to get your hands dirty, or take solace in knowing the job was professionally done, then let your local service center or indy do the job for you. You just have to choose what works for you.
However, let me assure you. You CAN do this on your own... without even breaking a sweat.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Where can I grab this log you are referring to?

SInce you have a jb4 use the usb cable (if you purchased it and hook it up to you pc and jb4)
then select start logging, do a WOT pull on third gear from 2500rpm to redline and let it shift

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Cool. Will do! I do have the USB on the JB so that should not be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #11
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 AW 335i Step

Let it shift on its own in sport mode or manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_c View Post
Let it shift on its own in sport mode or manual mode?
i am never in sport or manual mode so no. If i am, i always shift.. but honestly that is really really rare.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep

Get an Alpina TCU flash if you have a post 03/07 build date. PM me for details on how to do it remotely.

It seriously makes the trans shift smoother, quicker, and more crisp. The stock program sucks and is just slow and lurches all over the place.

After alpina, I would say all of my shifts are unnoticeable. Except for 2-->3 occasionally, under certain throttle and load conditions. Then its just barely noticeable, I think it has to do with the steep gear ratio change from 2 to 3.
      03-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_c View Post
Get an Alpina TCU flash if you have a post 03/07 build date. PM me for details on how to do it remotely.

It seriously makes the trans shift smoother, quicker, and more crisp. The stock program sucks and is just slow and lurches all over the place.

After alpina, I would say all of my shifts are unnoticeable. Except for 2-->3 occasionally, under certain throttle and load conditions. Then its just barely noticeable, I think it has to do with the steep gear ratio change from 2 to 3.
dont rub it in Mine was produced before march of 07 between that alpina flash and the damn USB in the armrest, i am crushed!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep

Someone is selling the newer TCU module in the marketplace if you wanted to upgrade, but its pretty expensive. Probably not worth the cost and install.
      03-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
BP3i7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewrican
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post
gotcha. if i do the fluid, ill prob just let them do the filter and they said they always do the megatraonics at the same time since they are common.
+1 on the fluid change. Changed mine last Saturday and I have not experience yet that jerkiness that you also experienced. I also changed the pan/filter but didn't do the megatronics. Wasn't sure where it was located?? I hope it's not true that it always leaks. Is it easy to see when it does leak?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #17
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP3i7 View Post
+1 on the fluid change. Changed mine last Saturday and I have not experience yet that jerkiness that you also experienced. I also changed the pan/filter but didn't do the megatronics. Wasn't sure where it was located?? I hope it's not true that it always leaks. Is it easy to see when it does leak?
The Mechatronic sleeve leak is more of a seeping than an outright leak. Mine lost a quart of fluid and I would have never known it had the transmission not started behaving poorly as there was never any fluid on the ground. Once under the car it was fairly easy to see a thin layer of transmission fluid coating the entire pan.
I would be very surprised if yours is not leaking given the age of your car, unless a previous owner already had it replaced. You can check by removing the splash shield under the transmission, look past the transmission cross member up into the transmission tunnel on the right (facing the front of the car).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
BP3i7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP3i7 View Post
The Mechatronic sleeve leak is more of a seeping than an outright leak. Mine lost a quart of fluid and I would have never known it had the transmission not started behaving poorly as there was never any fluid on the ground. Once under the car it was fairly easy to see a thin layer of transmission fluid coating the entire pan.
I would be very surprised if yours is not leaking given the age of your car, unless a previous owner already had it replaced. You can check by removing the splash shield under the transmission, look past the transmission cross member up into the transmission tunnel on the right (facing the front of the car).
I didn't see that on the plan...it looked decent, so I do hope you're wrong. I'll try to find it when I change my fluid next time. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0