E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > The best top gear review of a car EVER!

08-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The best top gear review of a car EVER!

Epic.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I actually thought it was a bit....boring??
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmball View Post
I actually thought it was a bit....boring??
+1

I know what Jezza was saying about the last of the super coupes however as a review, not the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I think he was trying to make a point/protest - a subtle one by his standards.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

As the last segment of the last show in the season, it was a bit of a letdown.

Nevertheless, I found it to be pretty moving. I had to go for a drive afterwards.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
jonsteele
Old enough to know better!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Filmed on the A543, stunning road that I found by accident (TomTom took me down it 3 days before Top Gear filmed on it)! A must drive if a UK Meet ever goes near it. Pity I had a kayak and 2 bikes on top of the car, although I still had fun

My mate joined me in N Wales the day they were filming and saw the Vantage as it flew past in the opposite direction!
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

The camera work and editing was top drawer. You can't knock the fact it was very easy on the eye even if Jezza's content was a little limp.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
It wasn't remotely a test drive. " Relentless war on speed". That wasn't your usual Jezza rant more an indicator of what is happening. Speed is the baddie, speeders are evil.

65% of road deaths have speed as a factor in their cause - "a" factor.

When you change that statement to speed as a factor AND the speed was in excess of the legal limit, the figure drops to 12% !!

It isn't exceeding the speed limit that's dangerous, it's inappropriate speed whether under or over the legal limits.

53% of all deaths where speed was a factor were under the legal speed limit. So what are the Authorities doing about the majority of deaths? Absolutely fack all. And you believe these muppets on any subject?!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Swiller
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

very poor.
"its fantastic" and the world is so fekked up that they may as well not have made it. was the message i got. It was like bono was reviewing it.
I think top gear is now past its sell by date in its current form. Keep james may, get rid of hammond and replace with a proper fit bird and get clarkson on a different tip.
Some ideas.
Used car of the week.
Replace a star in a reasonably priced car , with the stig in a member of the publics motor.
Ditch the races in cars vs trains etc. v boring now and way too long.
Expand the news feature and more reviews of new cars.
Sat nav reviews, appraisals of options on cars, best hi fi in a car, mod reviews, best driving roads, santapod 1/4 mile times, hire purchase appraisals, classic car section - blast from the past, detailing, petrol prices, best repair shops, tyre reviews....

Its so limited in its current form. I am fed up with seeing a load of cheap cars driving round africa, smearing cheese on james mays radiator etc. I do want to punch richard hammond these days.

come on tg sort it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I thought it was a stunning bit of TV.

If you've read ANY reviews of the V12 vantage you will know that it's an epic car. It's a 6.0 litre V12 Aston for goodness sake!

Clarkson said "it is fantastic - it's wonderful, wonderful wonderful"

What more could you possible need to know ... ??

And ...

He was right. It's an ending. Cars like this will not be made in 5 years time. And like Clarkson ... that makes me very said.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Its depressing after watching that bit...
      08-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
The camera work and editing was top drawer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #13
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiller View Post
very poor.
"its fantastic" and the world is so fekked up that they may as well not have made it. was the message i got. It was like bono was reviewing it.
I think top gear is now past its sell by date in its current form. Keep james may, get rid of hammond and replace with a proper fit bird and get clarkson on a different tip.
Some ideas.
Used car of the week.
Replace a star in a reasonably priced car , with the stig in a member of the publics motor.
Ditch the races in cars vs trains etc. v boring now and way too long.
Expand the news feature and more reviews of new cars.
Sat nav reviews, appraisals of options on cars, best hi fi in a car, mod reviews, best driving roads, santapod 1/4 mile times, hire purchase appraisals, classic car section - blast from the past, detailing, petrol prices, best repair shops, tyre reviews....

Its so limited in its current form. I am fed up with seeing a load of cheap cars driving round africa, smearing cheese on james mays radiator etc. I do want to punch richard hammond these days.

come on tg sort it
I couldn't disagree more.

If I wanted to watch Fifth Gear I know what channel it's on thanks. The point is Top Gear isn't that kid of show, and thank god I say! Top Gear is about light hearted banter, piss taking, controversy and above all attracting a wider audience. My wife loves top gear, not for the cars and their relative performances but for the dynamic between, JC, RH and JM (scripted or not). Would she watch Fifth Gear? Not bloody likely! I know loads of women that also watch TG and that simply wouldn't happen with the format you propose as that's "just another boring car show".

I think JC was making a rather deep statement really if you looked at a lot of the visuals. A lot of things there specifically to stir the emotions (poppy fields at a time of high military losses for example). I think what he's actually saying is that the war on speed has been lost, it's over! Thanks to the faceless pen pushers and their misguided statisics, the car as a means of enjoyment is no more. The cruel irony being that we now have more deaths on the roads thanks to current policy than if we'd have stuck with the old one of using those things called "traffic police".

After those 4 minutes or so I was honestly expecting the bombshell of, no more Top Gear
      08-04-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
I think JC was making a rather deep statement really if you looked at a lot of the visuals. A lot of things there specifically to stir the emotions (poppy fields at a time of high military losses for example). I think what he's actually saying is that the war on speed has been lost, it's over! Thanks to the faceless pen pushers and their misguided statisics, the car as a means of enjoyment is no more. The cruel irony being that we now have more deaths on the roads thanks to current policy than if we'd have stuck with the old one of using those things called "traffic police".
I totally agree. shot of the poppy field as he spoke about loss was very clever.

The shot of the deer running across the road was wonderful as well.

The artistic direction and cinematography on top gear is light years ahead of any other TV programme, not just car programmes - anything!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #15
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
The artistic direction and cinematography on top gear is light years ahead of any other TV programme, not just car programmes - anything!
Agreed, I can't think of anything, unless it has David Attenborough in it, that even comes close!
      08-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #16
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I agree with the posts above me. Since I dabble in a bit of video editing myself this "review" was by far one of the best I have seen. It actually had a meaning, a deep one at that. The thought going into this would have been vast due it being the last segment of the series. Again agree with the production being second to none ahead of any programme out there.

There is also a misconception that people who watch Top Gear watch it for the raw facts of a car...not true. It's more about the way it's presented for me. This was a great change from having to listen to JCs dumb commentary and stories of how he couldn't get the M5's indicators to stop blinking and calling it a dimwitted car just because he himself was too impatient.

Oh yeh what a f***ing car, described in like 3-4 words.

Jus ma 0.02

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

It was a very moving piece.

Good point, well made.

The end.
      08-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #18