E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best Wax for Jet Black?

09-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
NaumchukBmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Best Wax for Jet Black?

So i've never waxed my 3 series before, i need some tips/opinions on what wax would be the best to buy. What's it called, and how much?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

There is really no one best product to care for any vehicle. It really depends on personal preference including your budget, goals, time, experience, etc. To get some more information about each step in the process and product recommendations I'd highly recommend reading our detailing guide and our
Ask a Pro Detailer Blog. Both are great resources that will help ensure you maximize your time and effort. I'll outline some basics of an exterior detail that may help you out.

Wash and Dry
Most swirls come from this process so be sure to use good technique and quality products. If you need to upgrade your products check out these kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar
Helps deep clean the paint.
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Polish
This is the step where you actually remove the swirls for good and restore that like new shine again! A buffer is a huge help here as it can more thoroughly work in the polish and really get maximum results. For brand new vehicles you generally don't have to polish or you can just use a light polish. If it's a used vehicle even one that looks good at least a light polish can be huge help and often times a two step routine is ideal. If interested in picking up one the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer is a completely safe and easy to use tool that will greatly improve your results. I'd recommend a two step polishing combination to really make the paint pop!
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad 2x
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - Lake Country White Polishing Pad 2x

If you are not interested in a buffer or if it's not within your budget then just pick up the M205 listed above and apply that by hand with a foam applicator and medium pressure.

Sealant
Protect the shine and enhance it!
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad 1x

Wax
A sealant provides more than enough protection and an outstanding shine so you can certainly stop there. If you want the maximum gloss apply a wax on top of the sealant.
Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad

Hand remove all of these products with CLEAN microfiber towels. I highly recommend picking up about 5x - 10x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

As always save 10% off with the code "e90post", but it excludes tools, sale items and packages. Let me know if you have any questions or if you need any other recommendations.

Greg @ DI
www.DetailedImage.com
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

I know you said wax, and this question will come down to preference. But I am a huge fan of the Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. It lasts longer than wax and has a great look.

A little goes a long way so don't be too discouraged by the pricetag. And DI has a coupon code as Greg mentioned above!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Collinite 915 hands down. I love it
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Yesterday was my first detailing on my liquid blue metallic 335i e92 and I pretty much followed the steps outlined by detailed image above. The only things I changed was that I used Mother's clay, polish (using a LC white pad and speed setting 3 on my PC orbital) sealant and carnuba wax. AMAZING shine with no visible swirls or scratches.

It does take time though and your arms are a little sore afterwards.
Appreciate 0