E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What springs should I use??

11-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
akula444
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

What springs should I use??

Hey everyone!

I'm replacing my stock non-sport suspension with BMW Performance. Should I go with OEM springs or get aftermarket? I'm leaning towards aftermarket but don't know which ones to get.

I appreciate your advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula444 View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm replacing my stock non-sport suspension with BMW Performance. Should I go with OEM springs or get aftermarket? I'm leaning towards aftermarket but don't know which ones to get.

I appreciate your advice.
I think the BMW performance suspension comes with the yellow springs now, and I think it's best to use those. There's no reason to use anything else, anyway, is there?

There may be a better option for you though. I don't know if it will be cheaper but I think the result will be better and the hardware is certainly better.

* 335i ZSP springs in front (approx. 140#)
* re-use your current strut mount, do not change to sport mount
* 475# 10" race spring in back, with height adjuster
* Bilstein HD struts and shocks for your car (325i)
* E85 bump stops in rear

This will give you a ride height that matches a sport 335i, which is about 14.25". Your height in the rear will be adjustable, so you can match the front (for weight balance). Your main spring rates will be the same as the 335i ZSP. Bilstein uses the same part no. for 325, 328, and 335, so this spring and weight combination is in range of the HD shocks (Bilstein online catalog: bilsteinus.com).

You can optionally get the front sway bar as well, but it can be easily added later. If I add this all up I get about US$1050 without the sway bar. If you get the perf. suspension you'll need new strut mounts which I don't think are included.

I like the above setup because it gives you more travel in front than other alternatives, and more "linear" spring travel in the rear. This is very useful for absorbing big long bumps at high speed. I think this setup will likely not have all the max cornering grip that the perf. suspension will give you; but the ride and confidence factor I think is superior.

I'm installing most of this stuff on my own car next week, so I can give you a better idea then.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0