E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > GTR Owners Past & Present, The Real Truth

03-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

If your a petrolhead it is probably one of the Cars you need to own before you die I've had a couple of the pre 11 models which are suppose to be a fair bit slower than the 11 (530) so if your budget can stretch to the later Car that would be the one to go for.
In comparison to an M3 take a look at the Autocar Video against the new M5:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/b...vs-nissan-gtr/
And that should give you some idea of its performance difference.
Afraid I don't keep Cars long enough to quote running cost but driven in a similar style my M3 would average about 22 mpg and the GT-R about 18 mpg Insurance I actual got the GT-R nearly £50 Cheaper
Hard to live with as a Daily Driver (but that might just be my age)
      03-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I would imagine consumables are considerably more expensive for the Nissan?

M car tyres don't run to £500 a corner do they?
      03-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Anyone else got a hankering for finding out what Lucy Lawless's 'booking' fee is these days?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #26
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
I think most members on here know that ive been lucky enough to own some amazing and fantastic cars - i don't keep my "silly" cars very long as i like to experience them and then move onto the next etc - that said there are only a handful of the "sillys" that i would gladly own again and even fewer that i can honestly say genuinely changed my "driving" life - the GTR was one of them without question. There are a few members on here that i took for passenger laps around the Nurburgring and I'm confident they will back me up in saying the laps were highly memorable!! The GTR is and was simply phenomenal around the Ring and as much as I'm confident in saying I'm a pretty decent driver the GTR more than compensated for my inadequacies. Personally, i only got rid of the GTR because i saw the values coming down and i paid almost £60k for my UK spec Black Edition and as i buy ALL my cars and toys for cash outright i don't like seeing too much money disappearing down the drain. Even my wife drove the GTR with the kids in it many times to do the Waitrose and school runs and absolutely loved it. It was very compliant and forgiving when pootling around the shops (albeit the gear changes could be rather harsh and jumpy if you didn't concentrate) and then an animal when you were on your own. That said, i totally echo everything MisterS3 says above. In all honesty it is without doubt the most car you will ever buy for £35-40k - but you need to make sure you can afford to run and maintain the car without having to constantly worry. Running costs can be high. Running costs WILL be high if you use it the way it was built to be used (like i did!!) and I'm sure the warranty issues are ever more present now that the purchase prices are coming down and the cars fall into the hands of the less desirables!! Either way, it is truly iconic in my opinion and yes i would have another tomorrow - if only to do one more lap of the Ring in it!! And yes ive owned two E92 M3's and and handful of E46 M3's including CSL's - equally iconic but in a whole different league. Go buy one, enjoy it and then move it on!!!
      03-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #27
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
These bring back some very fond memories!!!
Attached Images

03-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #28
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
...and the best colour too IMO Stevie.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #29
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

This is what I fancy getting into next, to be honest.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #30
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Brilliant, thanks for all that. Seems like a definite plus from you then.

Can I ask the reason for having it tuned, had you had the car sometime before getting it done?

Ideally I'm looking for something that will satisfy out of the box so to speak without going down the tuning route.

Would you buy from new or go used? Good specced cars seem to hold their money very well though.
Yeh but i have access to 2 cars. So when i want to carry 5 people and luggage i don't curse the fact that i only have a 2+2(ish) seater with a big boot. Saying that X5 is up for sale...but i will replace with a load lugger

It's fast enough out the box. For sure. You won't find many cars coming past you.

I waited just over a year to get it tuned, as i wanted to see if there would be tons of gearbox failures etc. But there were none. The cost of tuning is not much compared with the performance gains. It's now ridiculously fast and there are cars out there with 300bhp more than me. I have no idea how they keep them on the road! BTW Nobles are well versed in servicing the tuned cars and have no problems doing that.

Litchfields website will give you an idea of prices with their Ecutek solutoin. Although i went down the cobb route being up in Glasgow as they had live switchable maps at that time (ecutek have too now) which means in wet weather i can detune the car and make it easier to drive. Oh and at service time i have the ability to remove the map myself. I actually got my car done by SVM in telford. One of the other benefits of the COBB if you don't want to tune up is the improved gear changes in auto mode. Much smoother than stock (and they've released a new one for reverse as it can clunk in to reverse when cold) and will change down to 1st more readily.

I paid £53k for mine new (Sat Nav Black Black Ed- black cars will look very tired very quickly as the paint is crap) New now is £70k plus (i think) I still think it's well priced to be fair, but i think the pre update cars are better value because you can get passed the performance of the new car for < £3k and the differences are so minimal eg asymmetric suspension, stiffer engine bay, more comfy comfort setting. If you're going to keep it for 3 years and sure you won't tune it, then maybe new is better. But i don't see myself changing my car for the new model.

If buying 2nd hand, check the tyres and brakes before buying. But there are plenty of sale. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for with a bit of patience.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #31
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Wait for a Juke-R
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...508b48fd39855a
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #32
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Stevie, MisterS3 & Real Thing A brilliant help, thanks for posting, cheers guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #33
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
My pleasure. MisterS3 has given a great insight into real day to day ownership and without doubt speaks from a very practical perspective. I speak more from the heart and without doubt the GTR was a great love affair for me!!! Buy one for sensible money and you won't regret it. Good luck.
      03-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #34
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The first UK cars (non nav) will be coming out of warranty soon so if i read anything about aftermarket warranties i'll let you know.

There is the usual £3k quotes going round, but once people actually start asking for them i'm sure there will something better.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #35
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
My pleasure. MisterS3 has given a great insight into real day to day ownership and without doubt speaks from a very practical perspective. I speak more from the heart and without doubt the GTR was a great love affair for me!!! Buy one for sensible money and you won't regret it. Good luck.

Love affair is right!!

I work from home and my office window looks out over my drive (well if i sit up straight) and i do catch myself wondering what journeys i can do in the fast datsun!! Even just to the shop and back is fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #36
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Not bad for a bunch of guys from Telford!

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #37
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Not very usable below 80mph
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #38
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Now thats 'Incredible'
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #39
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Not very usable below 80mph
Yeh traction is pretty rubbish

Saying that - i've had TC come on my car at some interesting speeds in a straight line in the wet!!
Appreciate 0