E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First wash after delivery?

05-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

First wash after delivery?

OK, so I confirmed with a contact at the BMW Regensburg factory a couple of things:

There is no requirement to wait for any paint cure times after delivery and before applying the first wax/sealant to a new car.

Our cars are waxed at the factory before they are shipped (not sure if it's a spray on type, or if it's actually hand applied).

My question is this: What's the best wash to use to prep the car for its first coat of sealant? I won't be using a wax, but probably something like Klasse sealant glaze. Since the car is delivered pre-waxed, I want to make sure I use something that will remove the factory wax without damaging the finish. I haven't decided if I will also clay the car before its first sealant or just do a couplf of coats of sealant only.

Any thoughts from the fellow members here?

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i xDrive

Ask your dealer not to prep the car for delivery and then follow this guide by picus!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41760
      05-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
My question is this: What's the best wash to use to prep the car for its first coat of sealant? I won't be using a wax, but probably something like Klasse sealant glaze. Since the car is delivered pre-waxed, I want to make sure I use something that will remove the factory wax without damaging the finish. I haven't decided if I will also clay the car before its first sealant or just do a couplf of coats of sealant only.

Any thoughts from the fellow members here?
Congrats on the new car purchase. Personally, I am a fan of using a clay bar upon delivery of a new vehicle. It will help remove any embedded contamination during transit and delivery of the vehicle that may not come off with your first wash. This will properly prep your paint to get the most out your first coat(s) of sealant. This would remove any previous coats of protection that the factory has applied giving you a fresh start for your Klasse or any other sealant.

I too would follow DarkRyan323's instructions and not allow the dealership to prep your vehicle. You will do a much better job and minimizing adding imperfections to the paint. Also, you want to make sure your washing and drying products, tools and techniques are in proper order so that you reduce adding swirls and other imperfections during your washing and drying phase.

Let me know if there is anything else I can give you a hand with.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

wont help, they are waxed elsewhere, i know this because my dealer didnt touch the car but it was still waxed, its most likely at the place the send it between the boat and the dealer
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
sesegal99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport

Wash w/ Dawn, claybar, Wash w/ Dawn again, Zaino (Z5, Z5, Z2, Z2, Z2, Z6 between each coat.) You'll have a perfect finish. Use Zaino car wash from then on. and quick detail with Z6 between washes.

JMO.
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

No need to wash with Dawn. Just use a good car soap and clay. I also believe that claying will greatly improve your final result since the finish will be better prepped for the sealant. After that you can use the Klasse twins or any other quality sealant such a s Zaino, DuraGloss, Mothers, etc. I recommend you check autopia.org for TONS of good info.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

You guys are the best...thanks much! By the way, according to my contact at the plant, the car is waxed AT THE FACTORY before loading for shipment.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
sesegal99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport

Dawn is recommended because it cuts so well through the wax and anything else that has been previously applied/
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRyan323 View Post
Ask your dealer not to prep the car for delivery and then follow this guide by picus!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41760
So what exactly does dealer prep consist of, as it relates to the paint?

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what exactly does dealer prep consist of, as it relates to the paint?
The dealer will clean (prep) the outside of the car because the car will be filthy from transport. Many people have reported their new cars having massive swirl marks from day one after their dealers have prepped the cars. This would especially be noticeable on darker colors. It is because they use improper washing/drying methods and use dirty towels which will swirl and damage the finish. The best thing is just to do the prep yourself. It will be fun and rewarding and a good way for you to bond with your new car!
      05-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

i dont know why but my dealer preped my car and it looked pretty damn good withought any swirls...but i still striped the wax off with dawn and did my own detailing job...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesegal99 View Post
Dawn is recommended because it cuts so well through the wax and anything else that has been previously applied/
That is very arguable, not sure what "is recommended" really means. Here is a link about some of the controversy that I am posting just as an informative post.

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...ight=dawn+wash

I'm not about to argue about it since I use a pre-cleaner on my car when I want to remove old wax. IPA + H2O also works well
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #13
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i dont know why but my dealer preped my car and it looked pretty damn good withought any swirls...but i still striped the wax off with dawn and did my own detailing job...
You must be one of the lucky ones! I was just at my dealer the other day and the new black E90s on the lot were swirled to hell, it was rather depressing.
      05-18-2007, 12:34 AM   #14
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
+1

I asked them not to prep it, and lo and behold it comes back and it's prepped. Got a tad angry, but after I inspected the car at every angle, I finally gave in and conceded that they hadn't swirled anything, thank goodness, or I would've been ridiculously annoyed.

Still did my full detail right after though

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #15
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

Quote:
You guys are the best...thanks much! By the way, according to my contact at the plant, the car is waxed AT THE FACTORY before loading for shipment.
That's true, but it's not for beauty, it's called Cosmoline and it's to protect the entire vehicle from the salt air for the duration of the sea voyage. That wax is removed at the VPC with an extremely hot car wash.

I was under the impression that the VPC doesn't do any cosmetic prep on the car except for the removal of the shipping wax (Cosmoline).

I have requested and my CA acknowledged that my dealer will do no detail whatsoever on my Black Sapphire coupe. Only tech check, initialize the Sirius, and install my 230's, then call me for the pickup!
      05-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #16
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragadellic View Post
That's true, but it's not for beauty, it's called Cosmoline and it's to protect the entire vehicle from the salt air for the duration of the sea voyage. That wax is removed at the VPC with an extremely hot car wash.

I was under the impression that the VPC doesn't do any cosmetic prep on the car except for the removal of the shipping wax (Cosmoline).

I have requested and my CA acknowledged that my dealer will do no detail whatsoever on my Black Sapphire coupe. Only tech check, initialize the Sirius, and install my 230's, then call me for the pickup!
Curiously, then factory rep siad that it wasn't necessary to rewax the car after delivery. Is this because he is assuming the dealer will remove the cosmoline and wax the car with a "regular" wax prior to delivery to me?

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #17
drw1926
Bimmer Mann
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1983 320i; 2006 R1200GS

I looked at the vehicles in the delivery queue at my dealership before mine eve arrived. None of the cars looked swirled in the slightest. I talked to my salesman about it (whom I trust), he said I wouldn't have anything to worry about. My Monaco Blue (i.e. nearly Black) 335i was delivered yesterday, paint was flawless...not even a hint of swirls. The car looks fantastic.

I'll probably wash it and throw some Zaino AIO and some Z-5/Z-2 on it soon. But as delivered I am perfectly happy with the pre-delivery wash/prep.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #18
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
For the heck of it, I bought the Zaino kit with the clay bar for about $90. It is worth every penny!!!! I've never seen anything like this stuff. My Black Sapphire e92 was delivered perfectly as well, but once I applied the Zaino after claying, it was unbelievable. I know I sound like a Zaino commercial, but damn, the stuff is great.
      06-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #19
fragadellic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Curiously, then factory rep siad that it wasn't necessary to rewax the car after delivery. Is this because he is assuming the dealer will remove the cosmoline and wax the car with a "regular" wax prior to delivery to me?

The cosmoline is removed at the VPC. We need someone who has had the tour there or from BMW to confirm if they wax or not.

I wouldn't trust anyone who says the car doesn't need to be waxed after delivery, any farther than I could throw them. That's a rediculous statement.

FWIW, if my car was AW, I would have let the dealer do the new car delivery detail.
      06-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #20
fragadellic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw1926 View Post
I looked at the vehicles in the delivery queue at my dealership before mine eve arrived. None of the cars looked swirled in the slightest. I talked to my salesman about it (whom I trust), he said I wouldn't have anything to worry about. My Monaco Blue (i.e. nearly Black) 335i was delivered yesterday, paint was flawless...not even a hint of swirls. The car looks fantastic.

I'll probably wash it and throw some Zaino AIO and some Z-5/Z-2 on it soon. But as delivered I am perfectly happy with the pre-delivery wash/prep.
That's great to hear. If your dealer takes as much pride in their service as their pre-delivery detail stick with them!!!

Dealerships do vary enormously from location to location and in their operational practices, so you should consider yourself lucky. Frankly, it's a lot easier to avoid the swirls in the first place, than to correct them later. There are show car glazes they can apply before delivery to cover swirls which lasts for a car wash or so, and is then gone.

I am content knowing that I did my own prep on my BSM car and it looks incredible. Not a spec on it with a 400W halogen light. Big thank you to Picus and DavidN for their stickys and posts on technique.