E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Main Dealer Service Sat, fault codes

04-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Main Dealer Service Sat, fault codes

Hi everyone

My car is due service on Sat at local main dealer (Sytner)

I know it has a few fault codes thanks to BMWhat. One of them is Exhaust Regain Control - cant recall the exact code.

My question is, does anyone know if they scan for codes as part of the service, or would I need to specifically get it noted on the job sheet?

And also - will they charge me a 'diagnostics fee' for simply hooking up their kit and confirming that actually yes, it does have a fault.

Im covered by the comprehensive BMW extended warranty so if it needs anything then hopefully im covered, but was just wondering if they will try to fleece me for a diag charge.

cheers in advance

Garry
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Its not a standard practice to hook computer to reset the service intervals.
And they do not scan your car unless you ask them and then £90-100 diagnostic charge which will be refundable if your warranty claim is accepted.
      04-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep

Cheers Sam much appreciated.

Garry
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:13 AM   #4
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

It's my understanding that with every service you have to have a 'Standard Scope' (which costs £16 from memory) which is a scan for fault codes

Edit - Pulled from bmw-service.com, it is automatically ticked and unable to be removed

Standard scope charge £16.80
The standard scope is a necessary requirement carried out at every workshop visit. Your BMW Technician will interrogate your BMW’s computer for error messages and reset completed service indicators.

Last edited by jimpom23; 04-17-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep

Hi everyone,

Well yesterday was the service, id supplied my own oil to get the price down a bit, and when dropping it off mentioned that i have a code reader and its reporting a error.

Showed the service advisor the code on my phone (exhaust regain control 0040E9) and he stated 'thats not a BMW code'...? He actually recommended i ignore the error and only worry about it if/when it appears on the dashboard. Then and only then they can do something about it, so he says.

Anyone else had this line from a main dealer? Ignore any codes until they physically appear on the dash? Surely by then it might be too late?

So then whats everyone's advice? I have tried clearing the code and it always comes back within a few days (not immediately admittedly)

Have BMW extended warranty so id rather he'd have just investigated and replaced any part(s) required.

Cheers

Garry
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep

had the call this morning from the dealer to check my satisfaction with the service received - haven't called them back yet (missed the call)

was hoping to get some opinions on here first before I speak to them, I might also call another dealer and see if I get told the same

cheers

Garry
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Loads of codes will never appear in the dashboard. You generally only get dashboard codes when things are badly wrong!

I expect 40E9 is something to do with Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Can't see a lot of info on it though. It's hard to get dealers to do stuff for codes sitting around with no customer complaint.
Appreciate 0