E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Mixing Oil (for a full oil change)

12-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
coriolis14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Mixing Oil (for a full oil change)

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to do an oil change on my E92 (N51). Normally I just buy this oil from Amazon and that’s that: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, Amazon no longer carries this particular oil and I’m concerned that they will never carry it again (normally out-of-stock items say “temporarily out of stock” rather than “email me when it becomes available again”). I have 4 quarts of this perfectly good oil that are leftovers from previous changes and I would hate to just toss them.

My questions are:

Is it okay to mix my 4 quarts of Pennzoil 5W-40 I have with a different brand of the same weight (let’s say, 5W-40 Liqui Moly)?

Or would it be better to mix the 5W-40 with a 5W-30 of the same exact brand/type (5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra – Amazon still carries this – same chemical make-up aside from weight)?

Or should I not mix the oil at all and just toss it/save it for later?

I’ve done several searches on the forums, but I’ve found a lot of conflicting information and would like to get a clearer understanding of what I should do, if possible!

If you have any insight as to what option I should go with, please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis14 View Post
Is it okay to mix my 4 quarts of Pennzoil 5W-40 I have with a different brand of the same weight (let’s say, 5W-40 Liqui Moly)?

Or would it be better to mix the 5W-40 with a 5W-30 of the same exact brand/type (5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra – Amazon still carries this – same chemical make-up aside from weight)?

Or should I not mix the oil at all and just toss it/save it for later?

I’ve done several searches on the forums, but I’ve found a lot of conflicting information and would like to get a clearer understanding of what I should do, if possible!

If you have any insight as to what option I should go with, please let me know!
Mixing isn't going to hurt anything - as long as they both say BMW LL-01 on the bottle. Probably wouldn't hurt anything even if you bought some random non-ll01 oil as long as it was a synthetic. Note that BMW says API service SM (or something like that) can be used to top off.

FYI, BMW LL-01 is far more restrictive (on oil weights and other aspects) than the US's SAE API ratings or the European ACEA ratings (LL01 is very close to ACEA A3/B3-4 btw.)
Appreciate 0