E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > cbozz e92 headlight black out with Orion V4's full DIY

09-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #89
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Cbozz. You can code that dimming of the AE rings when low beams are on to be not aktiv. It will keep the AE rings as bright as with or without any othe lights being on.
E90Pat should be able to code that for you of any local shop that does coding. It looks awesome without the dimming
I know, although I like it when it dimms, I could code it myslef, I coded my old car.
      09-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #90
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

sick!
      09-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #91
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
More updates!!!

09-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #92
crazyfoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Montego Blue 335i Coupe

I have the V4s now and have all pieces painted. I do not know how to wire it though. I am new to wiring, so I am pretty much clueless. Did you use any instructions to wire them, or did you just know what to do?
      09-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #93
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfoo View Post
I have the V4s now and have all pieces painted. I do not know how to wire it though. I am new to wiring, so I am pretty much clueless. Did you use any instructions to wire them, or did you just know what to do?
I knew what to do... look at my DIY, it will show you the wiring.. if you have more questions just pm me
      09-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #94
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
i think this DIY and my DIY should make everyone on the forum pretty confident about what to do!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #95
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also in the AE's the WHITE WIRE IS (+) and BROWN WIRE (-), the red wire isn't necessary so you can cut it off... the best bet is to put wires in a housing and hook up to your existing AE plug!
      09-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #96
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
Also in the AE's the WHITE WIRE IS (+) and BROWN WIRE (-), the red wire isn't necessary so you can cut it off... the best bet is to put wires in a housing and hook up to your existing AE plug!
WRONG!

Do NOT cut the red wires off.

You wired it incorrectly Cbozz, which is going to be a good news for you.

On the v4s, unlike the v2s, the wiring color has changed. The white wire is the dimmer. Since you have wired up to the white wire, you are actually only getting approximately 70% of the brightness right now.

Also, I can do the answering to questions as well since I have plenty of experiences with Orions (for all you people thinking about doing this).

Regarding the two members that think the larger ring and smaller ring has uneven space. You are wrong as well. The link to my album shows the rings at an angle, which is why the spacing may appear to be different.

In person, it is impossible to discern spacing at all when it is lit.

Lastly, I mentioned this in my comprehensive review of v4s here http://forums.5series.net/topic/1258...st__p__1465144

Anyway, going back to the wiring, Cbozz, if you want to use coding to control the level of dimming, at least wire it back to the red wire so you're getting 100% of the brightness during day time.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #97
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
These things are going to be really bright for sure. The V2 are bright as hell, I could imagine these!
Yeah, I sold him these!
      09-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #98
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep

Also, I went back to the first post, and saw that you had pictures of you checking the rings and soldering the connector. Were they there before? If yes, I must've missed it and apologize not catching it so you know which is the right wire to use :P
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #99
crazyfoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis_nehc View Post
WRONG!

On the v4s, unlike the v2s, the wiring color has changed. The white wire is the dimmer. Since you have wired up to the white wire, you are actually only getting approximately 70% of the brightness right now.

Also, I can do the answering to questions as well since I have plenty of experiences with Orions (for all you people thinking about doing this).

Regarding the two members that think the larger ring and smaller ring has uneven space. You are wrong as well. The link to my album shows the rings at an angle, which is why the spacing may appear to be different.

Lastly, I mentioned this in my comprehensive review of v4s here http://forums.5series.net/topic/1258...st__p__1465144

Anyway, going back to the wiring, Cbozz, if you want to use coding to control the level of dimming, at least wire it back to the red wire so you're getting 100% of the brightness during day time.
I tested the wires on a battery and confirmed that I definitely get brighter lights with the Brown and Red wires hooked up.

But, that is all I know how to do lol. I just posted this in another thread on the M3 board, but thought I'd ask here too.

**edit** I now see the bulb is the cornering bulb, which makes me think I need to attach the wires to my first option... maybe?!?!

alright this rookie is confused any help would be greatly appreciated.

am I supposed to use the clips to attach the brown and red wires to which of the following (see picture)?

1) The green arrow shown in the picture, or the yellow and brown wires coming from the back of the headlight assembly to the H8 bulb.

2) To the blue and orange arrows, or the brown wire coming from the H8 bulb, and the yellow wire coming from the back of the headlight assembly.

3) Something different?

What is that "other bulb's" purpose? I tried plugging the headlights in but I was unable to get the bulb to turn back on.

Also, can you tell me where in this picture the White wire is supposed to attach to?
Attached Images

Last edited by crazyfoo; 09-11-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #100
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep

Gah, your questions seem all over the place so I am not going to read it and try to decipher. I will, however, tell you which wire goes to where.

Whether you are soldering or tapping, the brown goes to brown on the stock angel eye wire, and the red goes to the yellow (in the above pic, other models may have different color wiring). The other white wire coming from the white control box is tapped to your low beam's positive wire.

Basically the white wire is an on trigger that let's the white box know to lower the current going to the rings (this is as easy to understand as I can make it).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #101
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep

And the other bulb is your cornering light's bulb. Don't worry about that.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #102
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
WRONG!

FUCK!!!
      09-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #103
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And the other bulb is your cornering light's bulb. Don't worry about that.
alright, I fixed it and rewired the cables and now I have red and brown wires hooked up and the angel eyes are so much brighter, I can't look at them straight on...
      09-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #104
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I tested the wires on a battery and confirmed that I definitely get brighter lights with the Brown and Red wires hooked up.

But, that is all I know how to do lol. I just posted this in another thread on the M3 board, but thought I'd ask here too.

**edit** I now see the bulb is the cornering bulb, which makes me think I need to attach the wires to my first option... maybe?!?!

alright this rookie is confused any help would be greatly appreciated.

am I supposed to use the clips to attach the brown and red wires to which of the following (see picture)?

1) The green arrow shown in the picture, or the yellow and brown wires coming from the back of the headlight assembly to the H8 bulb.

2) To the blue and orange arrows, or the brown wire coming from the H8 bulb, and the yellow wire coming from the back of the headlight assembly.

3) Something different?

What is that "other bulb's" purpose? I tried plugging the headlights in but I was unable to get the bulb to turn back on.

Also, can you tell me where in this picture the White wire is supposed to attach to?
the other bulb is a cornering light, when you make a turn it lights up... the bulb only has one cable and the casing is a ground for it...
      09-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #105
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
alright, I fixed it and rewired the cables and now I have red and brown wires hooked up and the angel eyes are so much brighter, I can't look at them straight on...
Haha, yes, approximately 30% brighter.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #106
crazyfoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So if you are wiring everything directly to the angel eye bulb, did you not use the included wiring harness at all?

I NEVER could do this without all this help, guys. Thanks so far!

I hooked up one of the angel eyes and MAN that thing is so bright, I can't wait for it to be finished!!
      09-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #107
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So if you are wiring everything directly to the angel eye bulb, did you not use the included wiring harness at all?

I NEVER could do this without all this help, guys. Thanks so far!

I hooked up one of the angel eyes and MAN that thing is so bright, I can't wait for it to be finished!!
yes, you can tap onto the existing AE bulb wires but it would be better if you just plugged the wires into the AE plug like I did lol the RED and WHITE wires, notice how I conneced the AE's...

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #108
crazyfoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OHHHHHHH man I feel like a moron. Obviously I don't need that bulb anymore! Now I understand how I can wire it as you did, thanks SOO MUCH for your reply!
      09-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #109
M_BYEEE
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X5M

Great work. You have some balls ripping your headlights apart and doing a full blown make over! I dig it
      09-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #110
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OHHHHHHH man I feel like a moron. Obviously I don't need that bulb anymore! Now I understand how I can wire it as you did, thanks SOO MUCH for your reply!
you got it buddy, let me know if you have any other questions!